IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

38 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Reprocessing Historical Images, Looking for REALLY big challenges?
tedstryk
post Jan 22 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #511

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I have in the past, although I haven't had much contact along those lines recently.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Jan 22 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #512

Group: Members
Member No.: 347

Ted, your new page is coming along very nice! I like your new processings, very consistent!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 24 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #513

Thanks!

I have added some new stuff. It can be accessed via this link, which is my moon page (there is also an Asteroid page, but the Stardust page is the only entry, and it is already linked to from the moon page.

Ted

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 13 2007, 03:56 AM
Post #514

I have updated my site with a new Mariner 7 page, although it is still very much a work in progress.

http://www.strykfoto.org/mariner69/mariner7.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 13 2007, 04:57 AM
Post #515

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Wow! blink.gif I don't know if I have ever seen any of those. Thank you, Ted.

Why do they look so...impressionistic?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
MizarKey
post Apr 13 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #516

Member No.: 45

Great images Ted, though I'm a little disappointed you didn't create an animation of the images in sequence. If you want me to make the animation, zip up the individual frames and I'll have a go at it... send them to mizarkey@sbcglobal.net

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Apr 13 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #517

Member No.: 174

Note on frame RBL021013, one of the closest-in frames with Syrtis Major's tip cut off near the bottom center of the frame...

To the left of the tip of Syrtis Major is a small somewhat oval dot a few pixels across.

Photos. In transit. The first resolved image of a Martian moon.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 13 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #518

QUOTE (edstrick @ Apr 13 2007, 07:39 AM) *
Phobos. In transit. The first resolved image of a Martian moon.

Yes....the original version I did of that image lost it when I removed the vidicon marks. Fortunately, I noticed. The reason the images look a bit odd is that the far encounter images were sent back as analogue images, processed through a circuit that enhanced detail. As a result, the grayscale is shot to hell. I tried to bring it back. The near encounter images are also analogue, but also include digital images with only one in every seven pixels transmitted. The images I used for the Meridiani mosaic and the polar cap mosaics were created by the Mariner-7 team by calibrating the analogue images using the limited digital data, restoring the photometric data. The SPC color is an overlay created from far encounter data (there is also a lot of gap-fill from far-encounter data). While the wide angle cameras had color filters, in 1969, the primary thing they wanted was coverage, so very few frames overlap.

The analogue approach set I posted is complete. I reallly don't think it would make a great animation. There are a lot of gaps, due to the spacecraft periodically playing back images from the tape recorder so that new ones could be recorded.

To make the effect of the approach more "organic" in the more distant shots, I took the central 400 pixels, rather than centering them on Mars.

One image that really intrigues me is this one of the edge of the polar cap...seems to show gullies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 13 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #519

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Is there metadata available on those images for when they were taken? One way to make an animation less stuttery is to select only a subset of the frames with more even spacing. It's not as detailed but it's better for the Web to have fewer frames anyway...

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
peter59
post Apr 13 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #520

Member No.: 299

Phobos. In transit. The first resolved image of a Martian moon.
Phobos

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 13 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #521

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Brilliant as usual.

Ted Stryks again!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 13 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #522

Yes, there is metadata, but I only have it in hardcopy. Another odd thing, which leads to the impressionistic quality, is that because of the nature of how the data was recorded and transmitted, it has pretty good spacial resolution, but the dynamic range and stepping is horrid. One solution many have done is to do 2x2 binning. The problem is that the spacial quality of some (though not all) of the images is such that they would lose some detail in that. The image below is an example. It is amazing how much quality variation there is from image to image.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post May 7 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #523

Member No.: 10

I am working on a planetarium show about Mars exploration. While working on the Viking sequences I am creating a detailed Viking lander digital model as well as texture maps of the surroundings. Here is a reduced version of the color coverage of the surroundings of Viking 1, from camera 2, mosaiced from numerous images.

Don

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post May 7 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #524

Guests

Hey, that's really nice work, Don.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 7 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #525

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

There's something to be said for the Viking cameras - sure, low bit depth, low res in colour - but they produced some beautiful, seamless images smile.gif Great work Don.

Doug

+Quote Post

38 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.