cIclops
post Mar 22 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 161

QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 21 2005, 02:31 PM)

so it is!

new features too, the full screen mode is n*i*c*e

and i'm pleased to report it runs on Linux (Debian 3.1/2.6.8 kernel) with Java 2 version 5.0

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Mar 22 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #137

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (cIclops @ Mar 22 2005, 08:33 PM)
new features too, the full screen mode is n*i*c*e

and i'm pleased to report it runs on Linux (Debian 3.1/2.6.8 kernel) with Java 2 version 5.0

Technically it's full size, not full screen. I'd like to do full screen (basically, displaying without the menu/task bars etc.) someday but it's not high on the list at the moment. Full size will have to do for now!

Glad to hear that it works on Linux, that's cool. Java is a wonderful thing (usually).

+Quote Post
OWW
post Mar 23 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #138

Member No.: 99

MMB doesn't update today on Oppy. Probably because the filenames contain #'s. Can this be fixed in the program or are those wrong filenames?

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Mar 23 2005, 05:14 PM
Post #139

QUOTE (ObsessedWithWorlds @ Mar 23 2005, 05:05 PM)
MMB doesn't update today on Oppy. Probably because the filenames contain #'s. Can this be fixed in the program or are those wrong filenames?

I'm not seeing that yet, possibly because of network issues. Is this JPL or Exploratorium? Can you copy and paste the message? Or send it to me?

If it's what I'm thinking, the filenames are invalid. Make sure you are using 1.0.4 or later though, or it will stop on the invalid filenames.

+Quote Post
OWW
post Mar 23 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #140

Member No.: 99

I was using 1.04 and then I upgraded to 1.05 but it didn't matter. The links to the filenames on the Exploratorium for 2005-3-23 are like this:

1N164860169EFF51##P0..>

And point to filenames like this:

1N164860169EFF51%23%23P0703L0M1.JPG

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Mar 23 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #141

QUOTE (ObsessedWithWorlds @ Mar 23 2005, 05:22 PM)
I was using 1.04 and then I upgraded to 1.05 but it didn't matter. The links to the filenames on the Exploratorium for 2005-3-23 are like this:

1N164860169EFF51##P0..>

And point to filenames like this:

1N164860169EFF51%23%23P0703L0M1.JPG

This appears to be a new thing... I've seen filenames with characters like that before, but never before pointing to valid pictures. The program can probably be fixed to pick those up but for the moment it won't. Here comes version 1.0.6, I guess... Thanks for pointing that out, I might have missed it.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Mar 24 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #142

Version 1.0.6 is now up and fixes the issue that ObsessedWithWorlds noted (so you will need it to download today's Oppy pictures).

http://midnightmarsbrowser.blogspot.com

+Quote Post
aldo12xu
post Apr 17 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 85

Great little program, Mike. And thanks for linking my site!

I had version 1.0 and tried to upgrade to 1.06 but I'm not sure it worked (still shows as 1.0 in file name). Do I have to erase version 1.0 first? Or is there an uninstall function?

The other thing I was wondering, how specific can I get in terms of the images I want to download. For example can I specify "download only left rear cam images from sols 100 to 120"?

Thanks,
Aldo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 18 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #144

QUOTE (aldo12xu @ Apr 17 2005, 10:18 PM)
Great little program, Mike.  And thanks for linking my site!

I had version 1.0 and tried to upgrade to 1.06 but I'm not sure it worked (still shows as 1.0 in file name).  Do I have to erase version 1.0 first?  Or is there an uninstall function?

The other thing I was wondering, how specific can I get in terms of the images I want to download.  For example can I specify "download only left rear cam images from sols 100 to 120"?

Thanks,
Aldo.

Aldo,

Midnight Mars Browser doesn't really install anything; all its software components are in the folder that you download and unzip. So you can just delete folder that you downloaded and replace it with the new one you download. If you have a shortcut on the desktop, you will need to delete that and make a new one. If that doesn't get you up and running, email me at midnightmarsbrowser@mac.com

The version is shown in the About box (under the Help menu of Windows).

You can specify to download sol 100 to 120 for example (that's one of the features you get for upgrading from version 1.0 smile.gif ) but you can't currently specifiy to download just one type of image. You can specify to *view* one type of image in the slideshow, though. So, for example, you could view all left rear hazcam images between sol 100 and 120 for Spirit or Opportunity. With later versions, you can even "play" the slideshow to view a nice little movie. You can even specify the delay between frames. (No rock music, though. smile.gif )

Cheers,
Mike

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 18 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #145

Here is a screenshot of Version 1.1, which I'm currently working on. I hope to be able to get this out within the next couple weeks.

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Apr 18 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #146

Member No.: 133

Could you add a pause button ? The generation of images pretty much destroys the performance of your computer. Even just browsing the web is slow during image generation. If you do a big update it can take quite a while to generate all images, something a user might not be willing to wait for. A pause button to halt the generation process while you're using the computer would be great to handle this situation smile.gif

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Apr 18 2005, 03:30 AM
Post #147

Member No.: 180

QUOTE (DEChengst @ Apr 17 2005, 08:26 PM)
Could you add a pause button ? The generation of images pretty much destroys the performance of your computer. Even just browsing the web is slow during image generation. If you do a big update it can take quite a while to generate all images, something a user might not be willing to wait for. A pause button to halt the generation process while you're using the computer would be great to handle this situation smile.gif

Either that, or else set the program to start at a priority level below normal. That's what I do in WinXP - when the program starts, I set javaw.exe to Below Normal priority - the computer's normal then. MMB just waits its turn then to get CPU time, instead of hogging it like it does at the Normal priority setting.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 18 2005, 02:02 PM
Post #148

QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Apr 18 2005, 03:30 AM)
QUOTE (DEChengst @ Apr 17 2005, 08:26 PM)

Either that, or else set the program to start at a priority level below normal. That's what I do in WinXP - when the program starts, I set javaw.exe to Below Normal priority - the computer's normal then. MMB just waits its turn then to get CPU time, instead of hogging it like it does at the Normal priority setting.

I'll see what I can do; I'd rather set the priority level than add a pause button at this point. Not that there's anything wrong with a pause button, it's just that it would be a fair bit of work and there are about 12 different things I'd rather do first. Setting the priority would be a tidy solution. Can't say as I've observed this processor hogging behavior on my own machines, though, so I'm not sure how I'm going to test it yet.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Apr 18 2005, 02:20 PM
Post #149

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

my old pentium 2 does grind to a halt when images are being created, setting to below normal does solve this.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 18 2005, 03:06 PM
Post #150

QUOTE (MahFL @ Apr 18 2005, 02:20 PM)
my old pentium 2 does grind to a halt when images are being created, setting to below normal does solve this.

How much RAM do your systems have? MMB is a bit of a memory hog; 512Mb is really needed for performance to be decent. Not that I'm doubting that setting the priority might be a good thing.

+Quote Post

62 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 05:10 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.