Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mission: Hayabusa 2
Blue Sky
post Jun 28 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #436

Group: Members
Member No.: 6317

QUOTE (Therion @ Jun 28 2018, 04:43 PM) *
Or what else could shaped Ryugu like this except the fast rotation?

A glancing blow from some other object could explain both the fast rotation as well as the fact that it is rotating backwards. Maybe something similar to why Uranus has such a wierd axial tilt. Perhaps that impact left more stuff around the equiator. Somebody could do some math modelling of spinning rubble piles to see if they can assume a shape like this..

On the comparison with Itokawa, my idea is that Itokawa is actually two small rubble piles stuck together, without enough total mass to collapse into a more uniform ball. Ryugu is not so much larger that it could have collapsed more, but maybe it is older? Or was not made up of multiple already-formed asteroids in the first place, so is more uniform. That fact that it has more and larger craters might suggest that it is older, using the method developed by William Hartmann to date areas of Mars. Or maybe, being more massive, it just attracted more impacts.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 28 2018, 09:31 PM
Post #437

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I would say it has more and larger craters because it's bigger rather than older. There isn't room on Itokawa for big craters.

I am more interested in seeing whether there will be smooth areas (covered with small particles instead of big rocks), as we saw on Itokawa or like the 'ponds' on Eros. So far I don't see any, but we only have one side of it at good enough resolution.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 28 2018, 11:23 PM
Post #438

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (Therion @ Jun 28 2018, 10:43 PM) *
Or what else could shaped Ryugu like this except the fast rotation?

My very first intuition was that of a bipyramidal "double shatter cone", as a result of the collision of two objects of similar size.
After initial torque-free precession, rotation would have dampened down to a stable spin axis.
Anything from collisions over outgassing to YORP could have changed its angular velocity afterwards.

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jun 29 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #439

Member No.: 5323

I popped into a local library today, just for browsing weekly magazines to catch up with goshipps and all that.

I then picked up "Newton", which is a local science for laymen sort of monthly magazine. In it was an article
about Hayabusa 2 and it contained something I did not know.

Apparently, Hayabusa2 was conceived because Hayabusa was deemed lost and dead, even before they knew
Hayabusa was limping, but alive.

I, on the other hand, have been under the impression that H2 was given a go-ahead because Hayabusa managed
to come back...No wonder they asked for donations.

P

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Jun 29 2018, 03:49 PM
Post #440

Member No.: 6842

Phil Plait - What would it be like to stand on Ryugu - http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/what-would-it...urface-of-ryugu

Very low gravity + fast rotation = strong centrifugal force, especially at the equator. Hence the equatorial bulge. Impacts with the asteroid would have dislodged a lot of material which then slipped towards equator.

BTW, here's Ryugu with colour information from that tiny colour image. Saturation increased to hopefully show colour variations in the terrain.

Attached Image

And with levels adjusted to reflect its dark albedo:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 29 2018, 11:26 PM
Post #441

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (wildespace @ Jun 29 2018, 05:49 PM) *
Phil Plait - What would it be like to stand on Ryugu - http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/what-would-it...urface-of-ryugu

Very low gravity + fast rotation = strong centrifugal force, especially at the equator. Hence the equatorial bulge.

I doubt, that this mechanism can explain the bulge, unless you have two very unlikely synchronous impacts.
A rubble pile temprorarily acting like a liquid would approximate a Maclaurin spheroid, if rotationally symmetric to its spin axis. (Faster rotation could result in a Jacobi ellipsoid, or an according rubble-pile approximation)
The equatorial bulge is IMO too prominent for the Maclaurin scenario.
Instead, besides a possible but not very likely central collision of two almost equally-sized bodies, a merged moonlet or ring settled down along the equator would be a plausible scenario, especially considering the frequency of asteroid binaries. This is inspired by one of the scenarios considerd for the equatorial ridge on Iapetus.

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Jun 30 2018, 04:37 AM
Post #442

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 30 2018, 12:26 AM) *
I doubt, that this mechanism can explain the bulge, unless you have two very unlikely synchronous impacts.
A rubble pile temprorarily acting like a liquid would approximate a Maclaurin spheroid, if rotationally symmetric to its spin axis. (Faster rotation could result in a Jacobi ellipsoid, or an according rubble-pile approximation)
The equatorial bulge is IMO too prominent for the Maclaurin scenario.
Instead, besides a possible but not very likely central collision of two almost equally-sized bodies, a merged moonlet or ring settled down along the equator would be a plausible scenario, especially considering the frequency of asteroid binaries. This is inspired by one of the scenarios considerd for the equatorial ridge on Iapetus.

Looking at the image now, might it have had to do with that large crater? It's very near the equator, and would have kicked up a lot of material. So it a) caused the reverse spin of the asteroid, and cool.gif kicked up the material that settled along the equator.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jun 30 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #443

Member No.: 5323

Is Rugu's surface very hot? I believe average temp. is more or less the same as the temp.s anywhere on the
surface as it is spininng very fast.

P

+Quote Post
Therion
post Jun 30 2018, 02:13 PM
Post #444

Member No.: 7722

As i understand it, 7.6 hours isn't actually considered fast rotation.
For asteroids this size it's rather slow. That's why i was proposing escaped-satellite scenario.
Here are some ryugu-shaped fast rotators:

Of those, only Bennu and 2008 EV5 have no known satellites. (And they have slowest rotation of this selection.)

Didymos | 1994 CC | 1999 KW4 | 2001 SN263 | 2004 DC

(Source of above image is Hayabusa2 press release from June 21.)

+Quote Post
alex_k
post Jul 3 2018, 04:29 PM
Post #445

Group: Validating
Member No.: 7282

+Quote Post
alex_k
post Jul 5 2018, 01:01 PM
Post #446

Group: Validating
Member No.: 7282

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 28 2018, 11:34 PM) *
"a graben-like feature"

Or we could say a channel-like feature, or a rolling boulder track-like feature, or even a chain of subdued craters. But until we know more about it, it's probably better to use generic terms like 'valley' or 'trough' which don't imply a particular mode of origin. A graben is a depressed area between two parallel fractures where the surface has dropped down, and that seems unlikely here if the asteroid is what it appears to be, a mass of unconsolidated rubble.

This is really just following the mapping work by Gene Shoemaker, Don Wilhelms and others at USGS who pioneered lunar and planetary geological mapping in the 1960s, it's not my idea.

EDIT: here's an alternative interpretation to make that point graphically.

Phil

Trying to focus on that features

Attached Image

upd: for estimating detalization and certainity of my approximations (focused on center)

Attached Image

some boulders match smile.gif

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Jul 6 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #447

QUOTE (alex_k @ Jul 5 2018, 02:01 PM) *
Trying to focus on that features

Attached Image

upd: for estimating detalization and certainity of my approximations (focused on center)

Attached Image

some boulders match smile.gif

Looks like a huge boulder that had been sliced through, revealing much brighter insides.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Jul 9 2018, 01:19 PM
Post #448

Member No.: 4350

If you look at Atlas on Saturn, you have another mechanism for equatorial bulges i.e. accretion from within a disk. The bulge in that case would be older than the rubble it captured later on.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jul 10 2018, 05:36 AM
Post #449

Member No.: 1004

after a few days (too many) of hiatus, here is some new images of Ryugu. A stereo rotation animation
http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/topics/20180710je/index.html

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jul 10 2018, 06:18 AM
Post #450

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Paolo @ Jul 10 2018, 06:36 AM) *
after a few days (too many) of hiatus, here is some new images of Ryugu. A stereo rotation animation
http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/topics/20180710je/index.html

Amazing. Also looks like that rock was cleaved.

+Quote Post

66 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 32 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.