IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
You know you're a UMSF fan when..., Fan? Or HARDCORE fan?
David
post Jun 20 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

You know you're a UMSF fan when:
You have to get your UMSF fix every morning before leaving for work.

But you know you're a hardcore UMSF fan when:
Your co-workers have started commenting on the number of bathroom breaks you take so you can log into UMSF from your laptop.

You've got the Cassini encounter schedules entered in your PDA a year in advance.

You take vacation time off to coincide with Cassini encounters.

Your walls are covered with posters showing the view from the top of Husband Hill.

You've replaced all the windows in your home with backlit screens showing the view from the top of Husband Hill.

You know the area between Endurance and Victoria better than you know the streets within half a mile of your own home.

You turned your entire backyard into a to-scale model of the area between Endurance and Victoria.

You go "squee!" when Steve Squyres appears on NASA-TV.

You recently went shopping for a gilded frame for the picture on your Steve Squyres altar at home.

You name your pets "Spirit" and "Opportunity".

You name your children "Spirit" and "Opportunity".

Your kids want to be rover drivers when they grow up.

You want to be a rover driver when you grow up.

You're more interested in possible methane showers on Titan than whether it's going to rain tomorrow.

You carry an umbrella especially designed to repel methane showers.

You know exactly how old you're going to be when New Horizons reaches Pluto.

You checked the annuity tables to find out what your risk is of dying before New Horizons reaches Pluto.

You decorate your Christmas tree with models of planets, moons, and interplanetary spacecraft.

You celebrate launch and flyby anniversaries instead of Christmas.

You wrote a letter to Congress when DAWN was cancelled.

You made a bargain with the space gods that they should take your life instead of DAWN's.

You remember exactly where you were when the first plume was observed on Enceladus.

You remember exactly where you were on Sol 465.

You think there ought to be a mission dedicated to exploring Uranus.

You think there ought to be a mission dedicated to exploring Uranus, and THAT'S NOT A JOKE!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 20 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

That...is GENIUS...seriously - I scheduled my last major holiday at a period when I knew there wouldn't be too much MER activity smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jun 20 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (David @ Jun 20 2006, 08:40 AM) *
You've got the Cassini encounter schedules entered in your PDA a year in advance.

You take vacation time off to coincide with Cassini encounters.

To the first, only a year? I spent a couple of hours inputting Emily's entire encounter table onto mine.
As to the second part, would mine be instead that I work for 24 hours straight during Cassini Encounters (okay, not anymore)

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Guest_Richard Trigaux_*
post Jun 20 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #4

Guests

Today the weather is very hot, it would be fine if I had an UMSF fan to blow some cool air. Maybe I should go shopping in the UMSF goodies page.

Er, what's wrong? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 20 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #5

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Brilliant!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jun 20 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #6

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

I wonder into which category the following (some of which I am a bit familiar with biggrin.gif) falls:

(1) You remember every targeted and nontargeted Galileo flyby of the Galileans (e.g. the G8 Ganymede images and the Callisto images during that same orbit, the G28 Ganymede images, the very high resolution E12 Europa images and the Ganymede Gilgamesh images from the same orbit etc.). You also remember the approximate dates of these flybys...

(2) You had to get yourself a bigger computer and extra hard disks to be able to process and store PDS images from various spacecraft.

(3) You don't know how many PDS images you have on your computer but saying that you have tens of thousands is an understatement.

(4) You left your computer running for 200+ hours to do a big animation of the Cassini SOI...

+Quote Post
Guest_Richard Trigaux_*
post Jun 20 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #7

Guests

Perhaps not a fan of UMSF, because I was already sick from long ago:

-when I look at the sunset, I don't see the sun lowering behind the horizon, but the earh rotating and hiding the sun

-looking at the moon (by day) while holding an orange in my hand, and see the same crescent on the moon and the orange.

-when looking at the sunset, I sit down and them get up to follow the last contact for about half a second

-Once when taking a rendez-vous with a social worker, I told her that I cannot accept the date she proposed because of the venus transit. What's the heck, serious things first.

-looking space odissey 2001 in a loop, and change only to see space odissey 2010. And I am still not happy, I'm waiting for 2068 and 3001 in movie.

-others

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 20 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #8

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Jun 20 2006, 08:52 AM) *
Perhaps not a fan of UMSF, because I was already sick from long ago:

Me too. I was forced to spend the July 4th holiday in 1997 at my mother-in-law's house for a family barbecue. I had cable television service installed ahead of time so that I could watch Pathfinder coverage.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Nix
post Jun 20 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #9

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

Guilty of;

- checking UMSF before going to work
- 'decorating' half of the living room with Mars pans, after having painted the walls in caramel and brown tints
- having spend about $ 800 on hard disks to cope with raws and pds downloads and memory to run big pans
- about to invest another $ 2000 for a second 'off-the-net' computer and a 21" high-quality lcd
- went to Cambridge to meet up with Doug, Helen and of course Steven, while I was actually very tired at the time (little -adorable- growing kids..). Though I'm sure Steven was the one who was really exhausted..

- sleeping insane hours to get the most out of preparing a panorama-DVD and learning colorimetry
- having a daughter calling every brownish item resembling Mars
- neglecting friends and family to follow the rovers' every step
- dreaming of a one way trip to Mars when my kids have grown up -spending some time walking through the big valley and when my supplies are thru, find a nice spot and take off the helmet.. (yes, I am serious, no; I'm probably not that sane -but I don't care smile.gif )

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 20 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 682

Only trouble for me is that all of this started by december 1968 during Apollo 8 flight and it's not gona give up for quite a while...

--------------------

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Jun 20 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 221

you start buying models again after a 20 year hiatus...
Attached Image

+Quote Post
um3k
post Jun 20 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 372

QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Jun 20 2006, 12:52 PM) *
-when I look at the sunset, I don't see the sun lowering behind the horizon, but the earh rotating and hiding the sun

"But the fool on the hill sees the sun going down, and the eyes in his head see the world spinning round..."

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jun 20 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 239

Guilty as charged, M'Lud, and I'd like another twelve similar 'enthusiasms' taken into account.

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 21 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #14

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 20 2006, 10:32 AM) *
Me too. I was forced to spend the July 4th holiday in 1997 at my mother-in-law's house for a family barbecue. I had cable television service installed ahead of time so that I could watch Pathfinder coverage.

I was actually on the third day of my honeymoon then, and my wife was quite upset that I insisted on watching CNN coverage of Pathfinder at the hotel and deferred, uh, more traditional activities... rolleyes.gif

Hard-core? You bet, since Mariner 9! (Hmm...is there another "you know you're a..." there if you remember missions more than 30 years old?) I should get an UMSF tattoo... tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_Richard Trigaux_*
post Jun 21 2006, 09:11 AM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 21 2006, 12:33 AM) *
I was actually on the third day of my honeymoon then, and my wife was quite upset that I insisted on watching CNN coverage of Pathfinder at the hotel and deferred, uh, more traditional activities... rolleyes.gif

This is a very good motive, which had very much pleased your woman, of course.

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 21 2006, 12:33 AM) *
Hard-core? You bet, since Mariner 9! (Hmm...is there another "you know you're a..." there if you remember missions more than 30 years old?) I should get an UMSF tattoo... tongue.gif

The stage further hardcore: UMSF fundamentalist WARIOR

but I'm afraid it becomes illegal, please continue this discution privately ph34r.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.