2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Sky at Night, Steve Squyres interview
Louise Sharples
post Feb 9 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1221

For UK TV viewers: tonight (Tue 9th Feb) "The Spirit of Mars" featuring an interview with Steve Squyres on BBC4 at 20:00 (also repeated later at 23:30).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NickF
post Feb 9 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4589

Steve Squyres was on excellent form, worth catching the programme for his 15 minute interview.

(Not sure about Chris Lintott's description of 'ring rainbows' on the Cassini Prometheus images though. Aren't they just motion/composition artefacts?)

--------------------
Protein structures and Mars fun - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nick960/

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Feb 9 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 221

BBC iPlayer: The Sky at Night 'The Spirit of Mars' episode. Available until the 16th of Feb. I don't think it will work for those outside the UK without using a proxy.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 9 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (NickF @ Feb 9 2010, 09:22 PM) *
(Not sure about Chris Lintott's description of 'ring rainbows' on the Cassini Prometheus images though. Aren't they just motion/composition artefacts?)

I noticed that and it came as a bit of a shock. It must be wrong, but you really do not expect that on this programme.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 9 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

What did he say? He asked me for permission to use my color composite of Prometheus on the show -- did my caption confuse him somehow?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
NickF
post Feb 9 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #6

CL, he say-

"Look in the top left at these little coloured features, these aren't the moon at all. These are rainbows. The light has passed through the icy particles in Saturn's moon [presumably he meant to say rings here] and you've got 'ringbows' scattered across the surface".

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 9 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 523

Uh... huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 9 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #8

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Sounds like a definite "oops!".

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 10 2010, 06:19 AM
Post #9

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 9 2010, 10:16 PM) *
What did he say? He asked me for permission to use my color composite of Prometheus on the show -- did my caption confuse him somehow?

I don't think your image *was* captioned Emily, but I'll double check. One of James' pics was, but I know my colourisation of Spirit stuck at Homeplate wasn't captioned. (The BBC emailed Emily asking if she thought I'd mind them using my pic, she emailed back suggesting they ask me, I emailed them giving permission, and still no caption. Bit narked about that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chrislintott
post Feb 10 2010, 06:27 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1251

QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 10 2010, 07:19 AM) *
I don't think your image *was* captioned Emily, but I'll double check. One of James' pics was, but I know my colourisation of Spirit stuck at Homeplate wasn't captioned. (The BBC emailed Emily asking if she thought I'd mind them using my pic, she emailed back suggesting they ask me, I emailed them giving permission, and still no caption. Bit narked about that.

Ugh. Mea culpa all round, I think, which is a shame because I was very proud of the main interview.

The rainbow error was my fault; Emily's image appeared a few minutes before filming and it was too good not to go in, but I didn't check it out properly, for which I'm sorry. As for image captions, I know the team in the edit do their best but things fall through gaps. If you email me the details I'll try and get it put right.

Chris

+Quote Post
NickF
post Feb 10 2010, 07:31 AM
Post #11

It was a terrific interview Chris, well done with that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Feb 10 2010, 08:46 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 10 2010, 06:19 AM) *
One of James' pics was

Hang on, so one of mine was shown? cool! smile.gif

I forgot about the programme and was busy answering questions about my MER work for a Finnish magazine at the time! So much media attention so little time. wink.gif

Was planning to iPlayer it tonight anyway.

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
chrislintott
post Feb 10 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1251

QUOTE (NickF @ Feb 10 2010, 08:31 AM) *
It was a terrific interview Chris, well done with that.

Thanks. I'm hoping they'll post the full 45 minute unedited version later this week so that people from beyond the UK can see it. Will let you know if that happens.

We nearly had an even bigger error - the cameraman tilted one of the solar panels on the model of Spirit that sat behind Steve to make it look better. Luckily we noticed before filming...

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 10 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #14

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Yup - superb work with Squyres there Chris. Very good stuff.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 10 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #15

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

I would urge anyone who can access the BBC's iPlayer to get on it and watch the interview with SS; Chris really brought out the enthusiasm and sheer joy SS feels for both the MER mission itself and exploration in general. SS usually comes across very well in interviews, as we all know, but in the Sky at Night one he somehow seemed much more reflective and in awe of how much he, the MER team and the rovers themselves have achieved. Definitely a keeper. Well done, Chris! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:52 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.