2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Titan Atmospheric & Surface Chemistry
Juramike
post May 16 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #16

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Well, if the ice was really fractured and porous (IIRC, Janssen et al had it at organics + fractured, so if it is ice it would need to be REALLY porous), and it was coated with some organic gunk, then it might fit the data.

The coating could happen during erosional tumbling. Kinda like breaded chicken. So the coating could be thin, which gives the IR signature. The high porosity ices gives the low dielectric constant. That's one possibility.

As to actual compounds for such a coating, probably difficult to identify from just the limited IR. It could be a realy complex mixture.
If I had to guess functional groups, I'd wave my arms and guess aromatcs, alkenes, alkynes, nitriles, (guanidines? Amidines?), imines, amines, and hydrocarbons, and polymerized things. I'd exclude carboxylic acids, amides, ketones, aldehydes, ethers, and alcohols.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Nov 29 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 4081

An interesting paper was published in Nature today by the CIRCS (composite infrared spectrometer) team members concerning suprisingly rapid (for Titan) seasonal changes in the South Polar upper atmosphere infrared spectra. Link to the paper found here http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v491/...ature11611.html
JPL summary article found here
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2012-374

+Quote Post
antipode
post Dec 2 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1206

Many wont have access, but the Icarus abstract really says it all:

Does Ice Float in Titan’s Lakes and Seas?
Jason D. Hofgartner, Jonathan I. Lunine
Department of Astronomy and Center for Radiophysics and Space Research, Cornell
University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA

Abstract
We model Titan’s lakes and seas as methane-ethane-nitrogen systems and
model the buoyancy of solids in these systems assuming thermodynamic
equilibrium. We find that ice will float in methane–rich lakes for all temperatures
below the freezing point of pure methane and that ice will also
float in ethane–rich seas provided the ice has an air porosity of greater than
5% by volume.
Keywords: Titan, Titan, Surface

P

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Mar 14 2014, 07:58 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1563

My apologies for the thread necromancy, but this article (on getting tholin constituents to dissolve in liquid ethane via isopentane) didn't seem worth starting a thread on its own. I don't have the chemistry background to know if this is a process that would occur on Titan, but I think the melting point of isopentane is a little too high for Titan temperatures. However, if there is one pathway to get tholin to dissolve in liquid methane/ethane then perhaps there are others?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 14 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (marsbug @ Mar 14 2014, 07:58 AM) *
the melting point of isopentane is a little too high for Titan temperatures.

At the surface yes, but not in the upper atmosphere where the haze condenses, so I (as a physicist) think your query/observation could be very relevant. I hope you get insightful replies on the chemistry.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:23 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.