6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Board Upgrade
climber
post Sep 17 2007, 05:27 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

Working just fine once name & password entered and ...this looks like an upgrade.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 17 2007, 05:29 PM
Post #32

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I tried it with IE7 on my work rig - no problem there at that time either - but because I was posting from my Mac, I couldn't drag a screenie over.

I think there was some sort of cached thing going on - because the admin section was looking rather broken - but at the same time Tesh said 'oo - works now' - the admin section started looking normal as well smile.gif

(Although I do use one local cinema instead of another because one chains website doesn't work in anything other than IE smile.gif )

And while I've tried to make this as easy a change as possible by keeping the legacy 2.1 theme - I'll be switching to the 2.3 theme ( with a new logo) to tie in with the Sputnik anniv smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
helvick
post Sep 17 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #33

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

If we're talking about the hover box ( the title element that is contained in the link tag <A href="blah" title="safari.gif - Size: 25.72K, Downloads: 20" > ) then running under XP and on the UMSF I never saw it with Firefox (any version) or Safari but I did see it with IE6 (definitely) and IE7 (I think).

Since the upgrade I still don't see it with Firefox and Safari and definitely don't see it with IE7 now, so maybe my meory of it working with IE7 is faulty. The title element is still present in the page source so this should work.

It's not a biggie for me though.

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Sep 17 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 1638

Works great here on IE6/Win2000. I see only one issue on the new version: the lack of alt-text on the emoticons when replying (they had alt-text previously) - now I have to right-click "show picture" on each one to find the one I want.

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 18 2007, 06:36 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 15

I'm only noticing one difference in how the new software runs vs. the old software. It seems to take from three to ten times longer for a post to upload and appear now than it did before the upgrade.

I've noticed this from the moment I first made a post this morning, and it still holds true. Even a short post takes 20 to 30 seconds to upload, and a longer post (say seven or eight paragraphs) can take up to two minutes.

Every other operation seems to be very quick and smooth, or else I'd chalk it up to bad connections between here and the servers on the other side of the pond (as happens often enough). But since the rest of the forum operations are as fast as I've ever seen them, I just can't buy that explanation anymore.

It's definitely taking a significantly longer time for posts to actually post. It doesn't bother me overmuch, but it's the one big thing I've noticed in terms of performance.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 18 2007, 06:57 AM
Post #36

Founder

Odd- because the one thing the in the version tracker banged on about was the improved performance.

Doug

+Quote Post
helvick
post Sep 18 2007, 07:14 AM
Post #37

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

I noticed the slow upload last night but thought it was just me. Testing again with a low latency\high bandwidth link.

Edited: No delays in posting from here at the moment. I'll test it again this evening from home and see if it was just a transient issue.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 18 2007, 07:17 AM
Post #38

Founder

It's probably a bit slower - but 2-3 minutes? That's too long. I'll do some searching.

Doug

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Sep 18 2007, 07:35 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 174

Old bug, new bug

Old: When I brouse, I click on "view new posts", then hit the too-damn-small-active-area red boxes by the thread title. The software updates the boxes erratically on it's own, but it I hit "view new posts" again, it corrects all of the ones I've looked at to the has-been-viewed status.

If I leave the board and come back 10 min or 50 min <or something> later, ALL the boxes are red again and it shows the same threads, whether I've viewed them or not. If I click on a re-reddened box of a thread, it DOES go to the last thing I looked at or the end of the thread, but it's not passing that information correctly "up to higher levels"

New bug: I was a "guest" again and had to log in tonight, even though I have "remember my password" checked in the login box, and it's worked the last few nights.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 18 2007, 08:54 AM
Post #40

Founder

Well -view new posts has never been a reliable way of checking up. It's useful, but keeps non-new stuff onboard for some time. I think it's possibly a symptom of tabbed browsers.

Retained login issue- are you going to www.umsf not just umsf each time? That cured it for most people last time around.

I'm not a code-monkey, I really am just a user of Invision, and as such much of the criticism about it, there's nothing I can do.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Sep 18 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #41

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

I Just had to log in again this morning as well. Using the same www.unman... as I always have.

I've never had much of a problem with 'view new posts': open them all in new tabs then click 'mark all posts as read and return to index'. smile.gif

James

EDIT: No delay in getting this post posted - very quick.

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Sep 18 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 678

Good good smile.gif

And what about skinning the forum. The default IPB skin have not a good looking for me... I.eg. before subsection of forums, is it possible to have the UMSF spacecraft or thing like this? More generaly, a skin with more links to spaceflight without humans smile.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 18 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #43

Posting is now back to the normal speed. Must have been a first-day glitch, maybe something to do with how Invision was updating the databases. But it's smoothed out now.

As for changing the default skin, can we have a chance to at least take a look at the choices, like last time? I've gotten used to this skin, and wouldn't care for anything that's more garish.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 18 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #44

Founder

The new skin will be the default, with this old one as an option if people choose it - I'll do sneak-peak's closer to the time smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 18 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #45

OK, cool. I like the option of choosing, is all.

As for posting times, I'm beginning to wonder if it might not be a forum-specific thing. It just took 50 seconds for a post to the Icy Moons forum (the poll topic, Iapetus black-on-white or white-on-black) to post, and then adding my vote in that poll took 40 seconds. But posting on this forum takes a second or two only.

Perhaps there is some board-specific setting that is checking for virii and such on some boards, but not on others?

-the other Doug

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:45 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.