Google Mars, Google
helvick
post Mar 13 2006, 08:28 AM
Post #1

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

http://www.google.com/mars/

With the open Google Maps API you could have some interesting mashups - overlays for the current position of the groundtrack of the various orbiters for example, Day\night, Insolation...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Mar 13 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

QUOTE (helvick @ Mar 13 2006, 03:28 AM) *
http://www.google.com/mars/

With the open Google Maps API you could have some interesting mashups - overlays for the current position of the groundtrack of the various orbiters for example, Day\night, Insolation...

Does the API work with Google Mars? If so, I'm not able to figure out the proper URL. For example, their "hello world" URL is:

<script src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=1&key=KEY" type="text/javascript"></script>

mars.google.com/mars, www.google.com/mars don't work...

--------------------

+Quote Post
helvick
post Mar 13 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #3

Dublin Correspondent

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Mar 13 2006, 01:57 PM) *
Does the API work with Google Mars? If so, I'm not able to figure out the proper URL. For example, their "hello world" URL is:

<script src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=1&key=KEY" type="text/javascript"></script>

mars.google.com/mars, www.google.com/mars don't work...

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't and I assumed it would without checking _but_ there is nothing out there that actually says it is open, hmmh. I'll start plugging away this evening.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Mar 13 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (helvick @ Mar 13 2006, 10:24 AM) *
I can't see any reason why it shouldn't and I assumed it would without checking _but_ there is nothing out there that actually says it is open, hmmh. I'll start plugging away this evening.

I asked on the Google Maps API discussion group and got this reply from a user in Finland in slightly fractured English:

"Google Mars use made using API v2 but the map material custom. There are no parameters in GPoint() how to specify other Milky Way satellites than the Earth."

So that's saying the main URL would stay the same, but GPoint() needs a new parameter to specify Mars or whatever. The "hello world" example makes a map centered on Palo Alto with the following command:

map.centerAndZoom(new GPoint(-122.1419, 37.4419), 4);

If true then I guess it's no go. Not sure if that answer is authoritative...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 13 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #5

Guests

This was made with google Mars:
http://themis.asu.edu/valles_video

wink.gif

+Quote Post
gorelick
post Mar 13 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Mar 13 2006, 04:12 PM) *
This was made with google Mars:
http://themis.asu.edu/valles_video

wink.gif

No it wasn't. It was made with the same data that was used to make google mars.
We used the same source data for both the video and google mars.

And you can't use the mars data with the public api just yet. That'll be coming soon, though.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Mar 13 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (gorelick @ Mar 13 2006, 05:33 PM) *

And you can't use the mars data with the public api just yet. That'll be coming soon, though.

Nice work, Noel.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Mar 13 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #8

Dublin Correspondent

QUOTE (gorelick @ Mar 13 2006, 05:33 PM) *

Very Nice work in any case - it's extremely cool.

Thanks for the update, much appreciated. Gives me a chance to get up to speed with the Maps API(s). smile.gif

+Quote Post
odave
post Mar 13 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 209

Semi-related, I just noticed that the Google "banner image" today has a Mars theme - presumably to celebrate Percival Lowell's 151st birthday smile.gif

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Mar 13 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (helvick @ Mar 13 2006, 12:42 PM) *
Gives me a chance to get up to speed with the Maps API(s). smile.gif

I was just thinking the same thing as regards myself... funny that rolleyes.gif

What would be ideal is if JPL (say with the Horizons website) would have a web app that generates an XML file with the real-time positions (& maybe velocities) of the usual suspects, which people could use from there for Google Mars visualizations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Mar 13 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (odave @ Mar 13 2006, 01:30 PM) *
Semi-related, I just noticed that the Google "banner image" today has a Mars theme - presumably to celebrate Percival Lowell's 151st birthday smile.gif

And it is the 225th anniversary of the discovery of Uranus by Sir William Herschel
in 1781, which he first mistook for a comet.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
gorelick
post Mar 13 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Mar 13 2006, 07:42 PM) *
I was just thinking the same thing as regards myself... funny that rolleyes.gif

What would be ideal is if JPL (say with the Horizons website) would have a web app that generates an XML file with the real-time positions (& maybe velocities) of the usual suspects, which people could use from there for Google Mars visualizations.

I fought hard to get that logo!

Our NAIF servers already deliver real-time position information in a web friendly format.
The app that displays the spacecraft positons for the maps api is already in the works, and will likely be what we launch the "mars data now available in the public api" changes with.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 14 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (gorelick @ Mar 13 2006, 03:07 PM) *
Our NAIF servers already deliver real-time position information in a web friendly format.

I hope for your server's sake that that code scales. smile.gif

Seriously, this is a nice outreach effort but I'm not sure what Google's motivation or long-term commitment is. And what's with all of those gaps in the IR mosaic? (I guess I have to take the blame for the MOC mosaic looking like crap in spots.)

If you could drill down to individual MOC NA frames, that would be cool!

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Mar 14 2006, 01:36 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Mar 13 2006, 08:15 PM) *
I hope for your server's sake that that code scales. smile.gif

Let a thousand websites bloom...

--------------------

+Quote Post
David
post Mar 14 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Mar 13 2006, 08:20 PM) *
And it is the 225th anniversary of the discovery of Uranus by Sir William Herschel
in 1781, which he first mistook for a comet.

Or was careful to avoid initially portraying as anything more significant.

Keep in mind that in 1781 the concept that a new planet could be discovered was completely mind-boggling -- it had never happened before, and as far as everyone was concerned the Solar System ended at Saturn. That was the way it had always been, and nothing Galileo or Copernicus had said changed that. To discover the third-largest planetary body in the Solar System -- to, at a stroke, almost double the size of the system -- these were weighty matters. Even if you suspected that what you had found was a new planet (and what an imaginative leap it took to even hope that!) it was doubtless safest to make as little of it as possible and guard against possible embarrassment (at least in the scientific climate of that country and century; Galileo, who trumpeted his discoveries to every corner of Europe, was constrained by no such scruples, though he risked far greater dangers than mere embarrassment).

In 1816, Keats, on looking into Chapman's Homer, felt "like some watcher of the skies/ when a new planet swims into his ken" (the description of a planet "swimming" into view can, I think, only have originated with someone who had actually used an optical telescope). At that time Herschel's Uranus was the only object we'd call a planet that had yet been discovered; though Ceres, Pallas, Juno and Vesta had been discovered a decade or so earlier and were still regarded as "planets". But the idea of discovering a new planet was still regarded as a synonym for wonder.

In considering the plight of poor 2003 UB313, compared to Uranus we may consider ourselves lucky; "Xena" may get a name and identity before the year is out, but Uranus had to wait decades -- in some places almost 70 years! -- before it had a name that was generally accepted.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2024 - 12:23 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.