7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Most Interesting/Most Boring Objects in the Solar
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 7 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #16

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I find the denigration of Ceres as an object of interest to be puzzling. The fact that so little is known, yet before long we are about to find out so much is what is drawing me. Let's face it, the most interesting item in your house when you were a kid was an unwrapped Christmas present the day before Christmas. Those vague tantalizing Hubble images just add to the excitement -- as thought the present was wrapped with slightly transparent paper.

Right now Ceres is the MOST interesting object in the Solar System.

If I had to list an uninspiring object, I'd have to say it would be Comet Kohoutek, but then most of you kids won't remember that big let-down.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jun 7 2007, 04:05 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 1700

Most dull and uninteresting object in the solar system? Paris Hilton mad.gif

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jun 7 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 124

(Toma B @ Jun 7 2007, 02:03 AM) *I can't believe that some of you put Moon in the "Most boring" part of your lists... sad.gif

Well, the most boring was done by Apollo and the Lunakhod missions on the moon.... but I don't think that's what he meant. blink.gif

I have to agree that the question "What is the most boring object in the solar system?" doesn't make sense to me, unless we stretch the definition of objects to include television about celebrity heiresses.

EDIT - DOH - brellis beat me to it.....

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Jun 7 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #19

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

I clearly could have phrased the topic/question better. biggrin.gif Absolutely true that each world is fascinating in it's own right, but I was aiming for personal tastes. ( I've spent a fairly disporportionate amount of time sorting and staring at pictures of Rhea unsure.gif ) An entirely seperate poll based on percentage of hard drive space occupied would paint a different picture too.

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 7 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 15

Now, see, I'm in the camp that every solar system object is interesting. I think Luna is *tremendously* interesting -- all you guys and gals who think that samples returned from eight sites, and varying degrees of in-situ measurements from another six or seven, means we know everything we need to know about the place, are just plain misguided... Luna is more the norm than the exception in this system, and we can learn a LOT more from it that will apply to other bodies, such as Mercury and the asteroids.

There are very definite classifications of bodies, too, each of which holds its own fascination. Vacuum-shrouded rocky bodies; rocky bodies with atmospheres; small rocky bodies; small icy bodies; large gas bodies; and large ice and gas bodies. Each has its own general set of processes, each has its own general set of geological conditions. (Titan, as a small icy body with an atmosphere, is sort of in a class by itself...)

Even Rhea, with the interesting organization of its crater chains, holds some interest for me. I'm still convinced that a lot of Rhea's crater chains are endogenically controlled...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jun 7 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #21

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

My preferences based on hard drive storage percentages:

58% Titan
20% Europa/Ganymede/Callisto
17% Mars
3% Exoplanets
1% Enceladeus
1% Venus

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jun 7 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 23

LOL let me try that out. No percentages, just the raw numbers. I should also point out that this is on my laptop, not my work computer as that would skew Titan's numbers considerably...

Io: 5.39 GB
Ganymede: 15.4 MB
Titan: 1.30 GB
Enceladus: 717 MB
Rhea: 35.8 MB
Dione: 92.6 MB
Tethys: 64.8 MB
Saturn: 18.2 MB
Phoebe: 18.0 MB
Mimas: 11.8 MB
Iapetus: 62.1 MB
Triton: 14.0 MB

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 7 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 523

There's a slight hint of you being an Io fan right there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Jun 7 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #24

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

(Expletive deleted), that really does skew the balance!!!

Mars 6.56gb
Terra 1.54gb
Europa 1.22gb
Titan 843mb
Luna 751mb
Venus 496mb
Io 352mb
Saturn 302mb
Mercury 291mb
Enceladus 234mb

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Jun 7 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 429

Most Interesting:
1) Europa
2) Titan
3) Mars
4) Ganymede
5) Ceres
6) Venus
7) Io
8) Eris
9) Vesta
10) Sedna

I just cannot call anything boring. If it seems boring, it means we know too little about it to be intrigued.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 7 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #26

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

What's very telling is VP's space allocated to Mars, which would be not so much as a single bit... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

My top ten, in descending order (I don't store many images, actually):

1. Titan
2. Mars
3. Io
4. Europa
5. Triton
6. Enceladus
7. Miranda
8. Hyperion
9. Luna
10. Puck

My bottom ten:

1. Rhea
2. Rhea
3. Rhea...(well, you get the idea...) I feel kind of sorry for any future colonists from there; Rhea is definitely the North Dakota of the Solar System. rolleyes.gif

All that said, I agree with ElkGroveDan; Dawn may (in fact, almost certainly will) reveal some real surprises from Ceres and Vesta...to say nothing of the Pluto system from NH. Many lists will be reshuffled!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jun 8 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 7 2007, 04:26 PM) *
What's very telling is VP's space allocated to Mars, which would be not so much as a single bit... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I do have the USGS labeled Europa map...
3. Rhea...(well, you get the idea...) I feel kind of sorry for any future colonists from there; Rhea is definitely the North Dakota of the Solar System. rolleyes.gif

And Io is the Texas of the Solar System, and Mars and Europa can fight over the title of California of the Solar System. Titan is a combination of Minnesota and Arizona.

All that said, I agree with ElkGroveDan; Dawn may (in fact, almost certainly will) reveal some real surprises from Ceres and Vesta...to say nothing of the Pluto system from NH. Many lists will be reshuffled!
I have included Vesta, Pluto, and Charon on my lists. Though to be honest, I fear Vesta will be like a mini-Moon, only with a giant hole at the South Pole - heavily cratered with mare filling in some of the larger impact basins. My listing of Pluto and Charon are based on my own imaginings of those two worlds. I imagine Pluto as a cross between Triton and Dione. Imagine Dione's varying crater density, fracture systems, but with Triton's polar caps and volatile cycle. I imagine Charon as much like Rhea, with a large impact basin in the northern part of its leading hemisphere.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 8 2007, 01:01 AM
Post #28

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

You sure Io isn't the Hawaii of the Solar System? Mauna Loa, after all... tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Jun 8 2007, 01:22 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 82

I am taking a similar post I made here several years ago, which was about my personal 'top 12' moons, and adding in planets and minor planets as appropriate. The top 10 in that combined list are as follows:

1: Titan
2: Earth
3: Europa
4: Venus
5: Io
6: Mars
7: Triton
8: Jupiter
9: Neptune
10: Luna

Bill

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jun 8 2007, 07:10 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 174

"...If I had to list an uninspiring object, I'd have to say it would be Comet Kohoutek...."
Hey!.. I SAW Khoutek... 6" home assembled Edmonds telescope.

Most boring object in the solar system...

At the moment: PARIS HILTON!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.