Closed TopicStart new topic
mer photos
hendric
post Apr 11 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #166

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

Speaking of a "red carpet", there should be some detailed 3D maps of some locations, taken from the stereo cameras.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Apr 12 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #167

Member No.: 1097

Once I am done with the mer model, I am thinking of modeling two locations; one is the mer test room at jpl with draft details blurred out though, and the other is on mars. I haven't decided if I am to used real 3d maps as mentioned above, but I can assure you that you will all be pleased with the results. smile.gif

--------------------
Highly Detailed3D Models on my site:

http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post May 3 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #168

Hello again... anyone care to see a couple of new renders? I've been working on these details for the past 2 weeks, almost 5-6 hours/day. It's a LOT of work, almost nothing can be copy/pasted -let alone I don't want to see any repetitions on the model. It's no news that I've been obsessed with this for quite some time now, but as the time to the finish approaches I can't wait to see it done.

Enough said, here we go:

The above render is ALMOST finished, but not completely done.. It has just a few minor details missing and of course not taking into consideration the top part of the web.

...I assume some of you watching this thread are familiar with parts of the mer I a modeling. I'd rather you compared the renders to the real thing -if anyone cares to do so that is- and provide me with feedback. More than a pair of eyes is better than just one. smile.gif Comments welcome as always.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 4 2011, 12:24 AM
Post #169

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Uh... blink.gif ...well... blink.gif ...I'm not wise in the ways of MER architecture, but I will refrain from my customary heartfelt praising profanity to honor such brilliant work, Scoot. You're a wizard, plain & simple; Harry Potter ain't fit to trim your toenails. The final product will be a treasure for the ages.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 4 2011, 01:39 AM
Post #170

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

At this point, the level of detail is enough to differentiate which rover you're actually modelling

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post May 4 2011, 01:40 AM
Post #171

Member No.: 3511

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Apr 10 2011, 04:49 PM) *
...Fortunately I eventually found an image acceptable for the project I was working on.

Belated congrats to Dan for that nouveaux-iconic image and to scooterlord once again smile.gif

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 4 2011, 07:26 AM
Post #172

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (djellison @ May 4 2011, 02:39 AM) *
At this point, the level of detail is enough to differentiate which rover you're actually modelling

You could tell 4 years ago!

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 4 2007, 08:30 AM) *
PS - I see it's Spirit your modeling wink.gif

I think I was referring to the magnet next to the PCT. However I suspect it is actually a blend of the two rovers based on whichever rover photograph was being used for reference each time.

As always scooterlord, my jaw hits the floor every time you post.

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jul 30 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #173

Hey all,

I've been detailing quite a bit lately, it's a tougher process than it looks and it's very time consuming. I am leaving on vacation tomorrow, but I will still have the mer on my mind, so I thought I'd share a temp wip of the progress on the front cables I reached today. I haven't done all the tie-ups yet and the knots are missing. Other than that it's taking its final form. Comments welcome as always.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pando
post Aug 3 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #174

The Insider

Member No.: 73

I'd like to reiterate what's being said already:
OMG!!

(Please excuse me while I pick my jaw off the floor.)

Are you planning to put textures on all of the objects as well??

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Aug 4 2011, 06:26 AM
Post #175

...of course I will add textures on... Thats the fun part... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HughFromAlice
post Aug 8 2011, 04:31 AM
Post #176

Member No.: 3989

MER = Magnificent Engineering Representation .... by Scooter Lord. Wild!!! Will you be sending it off to be 3D printed? wink.gif

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Aug 8 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #177

Thanks... 3d printing probably not... It requires all parts to be solids and they are not in ordrr to save polygons.. I wish though...!

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Sep 14 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #178

Hello. I am progressing rapidly as I have said in previous posts and looks like I am currently on schedule to finish modeling before the end of this year. I have *completely* finished the front part with the cables and underneath of the wings with full detail, have moved at the top side; I have finished almost everything except the cables at the rear and the cables -for which I am almost about to sort out their guidelines- that connect to the hga along with a lot of minor little details all over the mer. I have already started a few tough materials - like the cables and they are coming out quite nicely smile.gif

Here is a test render of what I've been working on the past few days and at the bottom -since I had it sitting there - a quite old render of the front cables when they were still not fully detailed but with a few knots on the left side:

Comments welcome as always...

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Dec 5 2011, 01:07 AM
Post #179

Hello again. Anyone missing posts in this thread? smile.gif I wanted to let you guys know that I am on schedule to finish this by the end of the year -the modeling part that is and hopefully most of the texturing/rendering. smile.gif I have about a week's time of modeling before I am completely (and finally!) done! After hundreds of hours of studying and tens of hours of modeling I give you the final rear cabling and I assure you it was TOUGH. Thank god for that national geographic documentary about the death of the mars rover (as unfortunate as the fact may be) that showed a few frames of the rear camera that gave me a few details that led me to the result below. I compared this to a few references and it matches wink.gif

Now, in other news for the ones into 3d, I switched renderer again and will stick with it. I did a few test renders with materials and OH MY GOD! smile.gif I can't even believe how awesome it's becoming. I won't share anything at this point, but trust me people following this will be excited! Also I found some 64-bit beta software of my modeling program and for the first time I can render HALF the file successfully and without materials. It might not sound like a big deal, but trust me, it is, since this half file (cables only) consumes 1.5gb of ram just to open the file. The render below took 11 mins to render without materials on an i7-960 @ 3.2Ghz with 6gb of triple channel fast memory.

Enough said, here is the render of the rear cables; I post the render side-by-side to the best reference I had for this. Many details are missing since this is a test render, but don't worry, the final model will have every little thing on. I am just missing a few knots before I am completely done and a few details here and there (like the silicon that hold the small cables of the photovoltaics at the top):

Commens welcome as always!

Last but not least for today, just letting people know that I am going to use this as an opportunity to change professions. Anyone knowing of any sources that can offer me a job in 3d, please pm - I hope this is ok with the admins.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Dec 5 2011, 05:30 AM
Post #180

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Wow, more and more impressive every time I see it Scooterlord. Maybe it's time to start passing around the UMSF hat to get a copy of this for our use. smile.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:37 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.