Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Papercraft Model, Build Your Own Curiosity
Astro0
post Sep 1 2012, 09:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Looking for a project? Well, here are a few models of Curiosity to try your hand at. smile.gif

This is the first one. There are two versions from the same instructions.
Attached Image

Here are the instructions: Attached File  MarsScienceLab_Rover_v4.pdf ( 2.63MB ) Number of downloads: 5565

This is another one that has some different details. smile.gif
Attached Image

Here's the link: http://www.paper-replika.com/index.php?opt...p;Itemid=200144

If you want to download it, the model requires your OK to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Basically, click the "I agree" radial button, submit and the model is yours.

Then if you want to take it to a completely new level, take a look at what this guy is doing blink.gif
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pasa-pa...tory-build.html

Have fun! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 1 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #2

I finished my model this afternoon. Took about a week of evenings and a lot of patience. wacko.gif
Attached Image

The grid it's sitting on has 1cm squares marked out.

The good thing about having the model parts on the PDF is that you can easily scale it up or add bits before you print it out.
I added a few details like the actual photo of the ChemCam and Mastcam cameras.

Still a few more refinements to go, but it worked out OK.
Once you have the basic parts, you could refine details as much as you like.

+Quote Post
Doc
post Sep 1 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3978

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 1 2012, 01:58 PM) *
Looking for a project? Well, here are a few models of Curiosity to try your hand at. smile.gif

Have fun! smile.gif

Thanks Astro0! Finally something 'constructive' to do!

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
pospa
post Sep 1 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5979

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 1 2012, 11:58 AM) *
Then if you want to take it to a completely new level, take a look at what this guy is doing blink.gif
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pasa-pa...tory-build.html

Not bad ... but the best paper model of Curiosity (including DS) I found is this one from "merzo" : http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pasa-pa...nks-yogi-7.html
IMHO real paper magician rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 2 2012, 09:15 AM
Post #5

blink.gif There is some amazing work going on over at that Forum.

As talented as the people on UMSF are for image and data interpretation, the wizards at Papermodelers are turning out some incredible stuff.

You can look around as a guest, but if you want to download any of the models/instructions, you need to join.
But hey, it's totally free just like UMSF!

+Quote Post
pospa
post Sep 2 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #6

Not directly related to papercraft models but more general.
I still can't understand why NASA/JPL, when they did so much excellent work on PR, mission visualization, actions for kids and general public, why they also didn't make deal with some model kit company like Rewell, or hi-precise model toy/replica producers like Dragon, Schuco, Wit's, etc. to glut market with nice and detail plastic or metal model of Curiosity.
I'm sure it would be immediately best seller not only in US but worldwide. There is at least 1,2 mil names written on SYNTM chips on board of the rover. At least milion peple would love to have such a model at home, I guess.
I would buy at least one or two for sure, for any price! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 2 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #7

Kit production takes time and money, from design to testing, production and marketing. Lead time on this could be months, to a year.

While, Sojourner, Spirit and Opportunity have all had success with toys being produced (Matchbox micromachines and Lego models), the fear from a manufacturers point of view would be the scenario as happened with Mars Polar Lander. Models produced but no mission to follow and hence no sales.
Same deal here. If MSL had not gone so well, then any models produced would be a big cost hit to the production company.

There will be toys out there. Later this month, the Matchbox toy rolls out onto the shelves. We might also get to see the Lego version now that it has reached the required 'likes' on their website. You never know, there might even be model kits (although they don't happen often these days) or remote control toys.

There are already instructions out there from Lego enthusiasts about how to build your own Curiosity rover right now.
I've even seen a very cool motorised and remote controlled version that someone built using Lego Mindstorm (on Youtube somewhere).

Remember that NASA makes arrangements with 'education partners' when they do these sorts of things (eg: Lego/MER).
For them, it's about the mission. For the commerical companies, it's about the dollars.

+Quote Post
pospa
post Sep 2 2012, 02:15 PM
Post #8

OK Astro0, thanks for the explanation. Make sense to wait with model roll out till the spacecraft successful landing which can promise better ROI.
Looking forward to see what Matchbox and/or other producers will offer in comming weeks, months.
Hopefully it'll be better then this one from Mattel's Hot Wheels, at least so good as this MER model.

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Sep 2 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 721

Luxury! When I was a lad, we could only dream about Martian rover Hot Wheels.
This was the closest I got to a space toy, and I was glad to have it. smile.gif

Brian

+Quote Post
monty python
post Sep 3 2012, 05:23 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 692

QUOTE (BrianL @ Sep 2 2012, 01:23 PM) *
This was the closest I got to a space toy, and I was glad to have it. smile.gif

Brian

I HAD THAT TOY! But we couldn't afford balloons so I used rocks.

Brian

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 3 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 2 2012, 05:40 AM) *
Remember that NASA makes arrangements with 'education partners' when they do these sorts of things (eg: Lego/MER).
For them, it's about the mission.

Hmm. In the case of Pathfinder and Galileo, this was a deal between JPL (not NASA, per se) and Mattel. See http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/releases/97/workshop.html
and http://articles.latimes.com/1998/oct/05/news/ls-29380
Mattel will not release sales figures, and JPL will not disclose its share of the profits.

At least the Pathfinder and Galileo (and MPL) models were fairly accurate. The MSL one, not so much.

As a modeler from an early age, I'm pretty concerned that the profit motive of the big aerospace companies and licensing fees will severely impact the hobby. I'm not sure that JPL is much better.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 3 2012, 06:50 AM
Post #12

My little Sojourner model sits in my office.
Attached Image

I still have another 8 unopened sets at home. They are quite collectable.
One of the sets was personally signed by Ed Stone during a visit to Australia.
I also have the Galileo set (which includes a DSN 70-metre antenna) and the MPL, MCO and Deep Space 2 miniatures set.

I'm sure that there'll be more models in the future of classic and contemporary spacecraft.
I've been building kits for years and have dozens of models at home just waiting for a quiet weekend (or more likely, my retirement).

No doubt that the interest in Curiosity's mission will lead to a new generation of spacecraft modelling engineers wink.gif
That's one of the reasons I like the work being done by the paper modellers.
They have to design almost from scratch with only photos as a guide.
The same goes for the 3D cgi modellers. Awesome work! smile.gif

+Quote Post
pospa
post Sep 3 2012, 07:07 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 3 2012, 08:50 AM) *
That's one of the reasons I like the work being done by the paper modellers. They have to design almost from scratch with only photos as a guide.

And some of them goes to metal, wood and all materials to meke even 1:1 moving replica, like they did in 2004 at Prag's Planetarium. smile.gif
http://www.planetarium.cz/old/kalendar/Mars/MER_v_PL.htm

Edit:
sorry if this post is too much OT (not paper, nor Curiosity). I just wanted to point out how some modellers goes to extreme.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.