IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

81 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Crossing the Dunes at Murray Buttes, Sites 54-62, Sols 1353-1659, May 28 2016-Apr 6 2017
PaulH51
post May 27 2016, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6853

Midnight Planets has reported Curiosity's movement of ~46.3m WSW (-116º) on Sol 1353.
Only 7 L-NavCams were available for this rough & ready stitch in MS ICE, the raws are a little overexposed, but they may assist in pinpointing the location.
I cropped the stitch a little to get it under the upload limit.
I'll post the full resolution 360 on an image host as the images become available, unless someone beats me to it smile.gif
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post May 28 2016, 03:49 AM
Post #2

Curiosity Mission Update by Ryan Anderson, dated 27 May 2016 - Sol 1355-1357: Coordinating with MRO
Our drive went well and Curiosity is now sitting on a nice patch of the Murray formation, putting us in a good position for a very busy holiday weekend! On Sol 1355, ChemCam has observations of the targets “Auchas”, “Kaisosi”, “Inamagando”, and “Horingbaai”. Mastcam will document those targets and then do some multispectral observations of the targets “Kunjas” and “Navachab”, plus a mosaic of the contact between the Murray and Stimson units. Navcam will round out the science block with some atmospheric observations.
Sol 1356 was an unusual one, with a bunch of small science blocks spread throughout the day. These were to enable a series of measurements leading up to a coordinated set of observations in the afternoon between the instruments on the rover on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. (Yes, this means a new HiRISE image of Curiosity is coming soon!)
First thing in the morning on Sol 1356, Mastcam and Navcam have a photometry observation. This is repeated a few hours later along with a multispectral Mastcam observation of the target “Inamagando”. A few hours later, the photometry observation is repeated again (the idea is to see how the brightness changes as the sun angle changes) and ChemCam has a passive sky observation. Finally, there is another photometry observation, a Mastcam “sky survey” observation, and Mastcam “sky flats”. These are followed by a long-distance ChemCam RMI image that I managed to squeeze into the plan. I am hoping that the similar time of day (and therefore similar lighting) will make it easier to compare the HiRISE and RMI images. After the RMI, Sol 1356 will wrap up with one final photometry observation.
On Sol 1357 we will drive again, followed by standard post-drive imaging. This plan will take us through the long weekend, so our next planning day will be on Tuesday.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post May 29 2016, 03:38 AM
Post #3

L-MastCam Sol 1353 - 6 frame mosaic of Curiosity's Workspace, assembled in MS ICE and enhanced.
Heavily fractured bedrock with mineral fills (back on Murray)

Flickr 1024x613 pixels.

Flickr 4499x2694 pixels.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post May 29 2016, 04:07 AM
Post #4

R-NavCam Sol 1353 Pano, complete with some data-drop-out and stitching errors, but may help users to understand the terrain until a better version comes along.
Preview (500 pxl)
Attached Image

Imgur 8192x1854 pixels.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 30 2016, 05:53 AM
Post #5

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here is Paul's full panorama from sol 1353 in circular form. It shows the tracks did follow the rock outcrops as I guessed in my map. Looks like we have a good run to the south now.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post May 31 2016, 01:04 AM
Post #6

Sol 1356: Long-Distance ChemCam-RMI mosaic, centered on SSE - Mt Sharp. Quickly assembled in MS ICE using the 9 available Enhanced Data Product frames. Shows more of the detail of the extensive layering in the lower reaches of the mountain.
Width reduced to 2500 pxls

Attached Image

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post May 31 2016, 02:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ May 31 2016, 02:04 AM) *
Sol 1356: Long-Distance ChemCam-RMI mosaic, centered on SSE - Mt Sharp. Quickly assembled in MS ICE using the 9 available Enhanced Data Product frames. Shows more of the detail of the extensive layering in the lower reaches of the mountain.
Width reduced to 2500 pxls

Attached Image

Wow, just wow. Literally a picture worth a thousand words.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 31 2016, 03:24 PM
Post #8

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

New thread time! Now that Curiosity's wheels are back on Murray, we'll stick with this thread for a while. Here's a 3D route map giving some context for where we need to go next. It'll be roughly 2 km of driving with sand dunes on our left and the Murray Buttes on our right. I'm not sure if there are plans to do much in the way of science stops along that traverse; I guess it depends on how different the Murray is here compared to its appearance at Pahrump hills.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post May 31 2016, 11:16 PM
Post #9

Another drive on sol 1357: ~7 meters West followed by a short bump to the North, see Midnight Planets
Hopefully we'll get enough of the end-of-drive NavCams to assemble the pano soon.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 1 2016, 11:04 PM
Post #10

Curiosity Mission Update by Ryan anderson, dated 31 May 2016 - Sol 1358: A Simple Plan
Our activities over the weekend went well, and after a couple of complicated multi-sol plans we get to do a nice simple one-sol plan today! The Sol 1358 plan starts with ChemCam observations of the targets “Otiiha”, “Otjihase”, “Otjikoto”, and “Otjimbingwe” to assess variations in the bedrock chemistry. Mastcam will document those targets, and then we will dump out our remaining Okoruso sample. APXS then has an overnight observation of the target “Oudam”.
I was on downlink for ChemCam today, so while everyone was putting together the plan for today, I was busy analyzing the tons of great data that we got down over the long weekend!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 2 2016, 01:25 AM
Post #11

Sol 1358: The Okoruso drill sample dumped from CHIMRA (MAHLI & NavCam for context)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 2 2016, 02:18 PM
Post #12

Administrator

It's fascinating how dark the dump pile looks in Navcam. Navcams have red/IR filters on them (600-800nm), so the (relatively) blue tailings pile looks a lot darker to Navcam than it does to Mastcam/MAHLI.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 2 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 2 2016, 10:18 PM) *
It's fascinating how dark the dump pile looks in Navcam.

When I shared that image elsewhere I had to add an arrow to point out the dump pile on the NavCam context image due to apparent colour differences smile.gif

And the latest from USGS:-
Curiosity Mission Update by Ken Herkenhoff, dated 02 Jun 2016 - Sol 1360: Preparing to drill
Arm work continues to go well, so preparation for drilling and sample analysis is the focus of the Sol 1360 plan. First, CheMin will dump the Lubango and Okoruso drill samples out of their cells. Then ChemCam and Mastcam will observe a bright vein named "Charlottenfelder" and a bedrock target called "Chameis Bay" before arm activities resume. MAHLI will take close-up images of the Oudam drill target and a single image of the "footprint" that APXS likely made on the Okoruso dump pile yesterday. Overnight, CheMin will analyze an empty cell to provide a baseline measurement before receiving the new drill sample. Early the next morning, before handover to the next plan, observations of the Sun and sky will measure dust in the atmosphere over the rover and search for clouds and dust devils. The Right Mastcam will take a 10-image mosaic of the "Otjizonjati" outcrop northwest of the rover when it is well-illuminated by the morning sun. Finally, the RMI will acquire a 5-image mosaic of part of Aeolis Mons (Mount Sharp) toward the south.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 2 2016, 11:04 PM
Post #14

Administrator

I didn't expect them to drill again so soon. In hindsight, it makes sense; I guess they want to see if the Murray here is any different than it was on the other side of the plateau.

Also, I didn't know they could keep two different samples in CheMin at the same time!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 3 2016, 01:04 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 3 2016, 07:04 AM) *
I didn't expect them to drill again so soon.

They have already completed the load tests and the overnight APXS, I guess we will know soon if they were acceptable.
R-MastCam Mosaic featuring the drill target (center of the mosaic) assembled in MS ICE

Flickr 1024x904
Flickr 3772x3330

+Quote Post

81 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.