Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Solar Corona and Zodiacal Light
scalbers
post Apr 5 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

Hi - in the course of my sky renderings I've been wondering how to display the zodiacal light in all parts of the sky. This includes the transitioning into the solar corona. After sifting through various references in the literature, I came up with an empirical model that shows the zodiacal light brightness and how it merges with the F-corona, as seen from Earth's neighborhood. This type of comprehensive view is relatively uncommon to see. It could be compared with more localized images from SOHO, STEREO, SDO, etc.

Attached Image

The all-sky cylindrical view in this image is from a vantage point 200km above Earths' surface looking with the sun just above the limb. The Milky Way is included for comparison.

A future improvement would be a 3-D zodiacal light/dust model that can be rendered anywhere in the solar system.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:23 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.