Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wonders of the Solar System
djellison
post Mar 22 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #61

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Another great episode - and great work by Ralph there - I'm not sure where that analogue was but it really was a superb one for the Huygens landing site.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 22 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #62

Guests

Indeed, good coverage of the January 2005 Huygens probe landing with the parachute shadow visible on Titan's surface...
Interesting bit with the two-seater BAC Lightning T-5 jet with a climb rate of 50000 ft per minute ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Mar 22 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #63

Forum Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

I saw the Lightning take off at a few airshows, almost before the end of the runway it went into about an 85 degree climb, and was gone......

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 22 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #64

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'm glad I got to see one at Fairford in the very early 90's ( got to see a Vulcan before they were retired as well )

+Quote Post
SkyeLab
post Mar 22 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 101

rolleyes.gif Follow the Tweets from the prof here!

http://twitter.com/profBriancox

Brian (not of the Cox variety)

--------------------
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary code, and those who don't."

+Quote Post
PFK
post Mar 22 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 4121

Another plus is that should they want to illustrate something with an unusually high albedo, they won't need to jet off to another exotic location - just zoom in on his teeth laugh.gif

+Quote Post
SkyeLab
post Mar 27 2010, 12:33 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 101

Just watched Prof Cox on the BBC's Jonathan Ross show!
Absolutely hilarious!
Warning, does contain some adult humour.
UK folks can catch it on iPlayer (or YouTube will have it
real soon!)
Brian

--------------------
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary code, and those who don't."

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Mar 29 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 22 2010, 07:07 AM) *
Another great episode - and great work by Ralph there - I'm not sure where that analogue was but it really was a superb one for the Huygens landing site.

Matanuska glacier (and river), a little north of Anchorage. I had to split from the DPS conference
in Puerto Rico a day early to get to the shoot. mere 48 hours from snorkelling among angelfish
to wobbling around on crampons on the glacier - some pics are on my web page. I was
supposed to get a ride over the glacier in a chopper but they descoped that, bastards.

Re: comments on Horizon etc. - I havent seen many recent ones, but certainly the old ones
(I vivdly remember the V2 at Neptune with Larry Soderblom setting off a fire extinguisher
to 'simulate' the Triton plumes being influential in my formative years) were great.

Often co-produced with WGBH Boston as Nova, I've seen (purely out of vanity) some shows as
both Nova and Horizon, such as the great 'A Place Like Home' post-Huygens Titan episode -
the Nova version seemed a bit dumbed down. Can't speak to more recent Horizon vs Equinox etc., though.

Many of the British producers I've met on shoots have actually had science backgrounds (indeed
one had even done the same Aerospace Systems degree I did at Southampton), so they're not
all 'meedja' types....

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:34 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.