85 Pages V  « < 55 56 57 58 59 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kepler Mission
Hungry4info
post Mar 10 2011, 07:36 AM
Post #841

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

Agreed, 1 in 40 isn't that bad. And that's just with a baseline of a few months. The number will surely improve.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Mar 10 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #842

Member No.: 4168

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/march/l...ets-030811.html

The search for planets around other stars - a talk at Stanford

Natalie Batalha, a key scientist in the search for Earth-like planets orbiting distant stars, will talk about the quest Thursday evening as the speaker for the annual Bunyan Lecture, presented by the Stanford Astronomy Program. The 7:30 p.m. talk is free and open to the public.

[...]

The lecture, which is free and open to the public, is scheduled for Thursday, March 10, at 7:30 p.m. in Braun Auditorium, in the Mudd Chemistry Building, 333 Campus Drive.

I just found out about this lecture about an hour ago. I hope to attend, but will have to cancel my existing plans. Wish I had known about this a few days earlier! How did this lecture sneak past us?

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Mar 10 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #843

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Mar 9 2011, 11:36 PM) *
The number will surely improve.

Their 1:40 number has predicted improvements and predicted future discoveries built in to it.

Still, if you had asked me three years ago if I'd like a 1:40 ratio, I'd have replied with an emphatic "Yes! Are you crazy?!!"

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Mar 10 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #844

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Mar 10 2011, 08:36 AM) *
The number will surely improve.

Interesting contribution Hungry4Info and Syrinx. But, in France, thanks to Jacques Laskar's work at CNRS(*) who demonstrated that, thanks to our big Moon, the conditions on our homeworld seems to be very special indeed, we do NOT refer anymore to the words "Earth-like" or "Earth analog" when referring to those new discoveries, but to "Earth-sized" planets which is scientifically much more accurate. The French Press now also uses this term, not to give the Public falses hopes about the findings of new Earths. By looking to Jacques Laskar's conclusions, one may assume that the number for "Earth-like" worlds will surely be much lower, while the number of "Earth-sized" planets will surely grow in the near future.
(*) "Stabilization of the Earth s obliquity by the Moon, Nature, 361, 615-617, February 18, 1993."

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Mar 10 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #845

I agree with your general thought. We need better terms. Everybody has their own, and what's worse sometimes the terms overlap with differing meanings.

But as per the paper under discussion these worlds are definitely more than just Earth-sized. They are in the habitable zone. The paper calls them Earth-analogs, but again you can call them anything you want. I prefer to call them Earth-like, but my "Earth-like" category is the first step on a 3-step ladder.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=149307

I can't comment on a moon being a requirement for any category of Earth-likeness. Haven't read the paper.

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Mar 11 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #846

Member No.: 156

We could take a cue from the Kepler team: they've got planet candidates, we could have Earth candidates. Meaning, the available data meet all criteria for Earth-likeness, but we lack sufficient data to say if a planet's Earthlike. (Of course, "Earthlike" opens a huge can of worms that I'm not going to touch here except to note that by present-day standards, Earth hasn't been Earthlike for most of its existence. But we already knew that.)

Also of note: "the full 3.5 to 6 year Kepler data set". I like that 6, but it's the first I've heard of it. I hope we keep hearing more!

I'm going to be lazy here since I've got work I'm supposed to be doing, but 2.5% of what, exactly? Surely not Kepler's entire sample of stars - 2.5% of 150,000 would give us 3,750 "Earth analogs" (of which Kepler would actually see - what? 375? that's still huge)! The original mission docs said they expected 50 - 60, IIRC.

EDIT:

OK, in the paper itself, we have this: "We found that 2% of stars have an Earth in the HZ; this means 3000 of the 150,000 Kepler stars have an Earth. Of this 3000, about 1 in 250, or 12 will be edge-on, producing a transit. The Kepler data set
contains 4 Earth and super-Earth planets colder than 300 K. This means that as of Feb 2011 Kepler found 30% of the transiting Earths and super-Earths that it will eventually find after 3~4 years."

So they're actually saying that Kepler will find <12 Earth candidates (since they've got "4 Earth and super-Earth planets").

Thing is, I thought the incidence of transiting planets was more like 1%, whereas if I'm reading it right they're saying it's .4%.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Mar 11 2011, 04:57 AM
Post #847

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

We could just call them all "Venus-like" until proven otherwise. That will keep the media off of them! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Mar 11 2011, 05:56 AM
Post #848

QUOTE (Gsnorgathon @ Mar 10 2011, 04:51 PM) *
Thing is, I thought the incidence of transiting planets was more like 1%, whereas if I'm reading it right they're saying it's .4%.

It's a function of stellar radius, planet radius, and orbital radius. For a giant Jupiter in a 0.1 AU orbit it'll be 10% (just guessing). For a tiny Earth 100 AU out it'll be just about 0%.

For an Earth-Sun relationship I'm remembering 0.5% but it very well could be 0.4%.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Mar 11 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #849

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Mar 10 2011, 11:57 PM) *
"...the first step on a 3-step ladder."
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=149307
I can't comment on a moon being a requirement for any category of Earth-likeness. Haven't read the paper.

Thanks Syrinx : I feel good on your "3-step" ladder. Now you would need a "B prime" step : the stabilization of the Earth s obliquity by... (you name it, but it's the Moon for our home planet), because, as Jacques Laskar discovered, it helped stabilize also our climate over long periods of time (to match your "C" criterion) and be "Earth-survivable" as you say. Mars had not such chance...

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Mar 11 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #850

Member No.: 4270

A moon specificially isn't really needed. Planets in nearby (stable) orbits can assist in stabilising the obliquity as well. A paper on 55 Cancri found that it's planets could support an obliquity-stabilised planet in the HZ without the need for a moon. I'd have to find the paper, perhaps later. Furthermore, I'm not convinced the obliquity stabilisation is even a requirement for a planet being Earth-like. Is Myr-long climactic stability (on average, neglecting the kyr-long fluctuations) a requirement for a planet to be Earth-like? The deserts have to stay the deserts, the jungles have to stay the jungles?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Mar 11 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #851

QUOTE (hendric @ Mar 11 2011, 05:57 AM) *
We could just call them all "Venus-like" until proven otherwise

You made quite a good guess after all dry.gif :
"...I think that the atmospheres of extrasolar Earth-like planets would be more like Mars or Venus than the Earth." (see article herebelow)
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Computer...pheres_999.html
"The analog in our solar system for the planets we have considered here is Venus." (see "What if Extrasolar Planets are Rocky ?" from LPSC XXIX) :
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC98/pdf/1409.pdf smile.gif

+Quote Post
siravan
post Mar 11 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #852

Member No.: 1472

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Mar 11 2011, 12:56 AM) *
It's a function of stellar radius, planet radius, and orbital radius.

To the first approximation, (upper bound on) the probability of transit is 2atan((R+r)/d)/pi, where R is stellar radius, r is planetary radius and d is orbital radius. For Earth, it calculates to 0.6%, but note that it includes some marginal transits which are practically undetectable, so the probability of transit detection is lower. For Jupiter, it is 0.12%.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Mar 12 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #853

Member No.: 590

Just noticed a new Manager's Update on March 8: http://www.kepler.arc.nasa.gov/news/mmu/in...&NewsID=109

New and improved data processing software, that ought to be able to work across multiple quarters. Apparently the old software could only work on one quarter's worth at a time. That explains a lot!

--Greg

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Mar 19 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #854

Member No.: 590

Another Manager's update: http://www.kepler.arc.nasa.gov/news/mmu/in...&NewsID=110

Another safe-mode event, and they're still working on it. Does it seem like Kepler has more of these than other craft, or are they just better about reporting them?

--Greg

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Mar 19 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #855

Kepler definitely has them more frequently. I believe it's due to hardware differences.

I hate to say something not true, but at one of the lectures here in the Bay Area I vaguely remember somebody claiming it is due to an old star tracker. Again, I'm not sure about that. What I do remember is thinking that if there was ever a Kepler 2 that it would be trivial to solve with modern hardware.

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 55 56 57 58 59 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.