12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dione Image Products
belleraphon1
post Jun 23 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 627

All.... trying to do this from work and keep forgetting things I meant to add in the first note I posted...

Here is the presentation I was talking about ............

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/prod...ARM_Krishan.pdf

Dione ....... a scent of water/nitrogen perfume still wafting the Saturnian system????
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bart
post Jul 5 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 603

Yeah, I pointed this out here http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=55911

I thought it was pretty cool too, but the response seemed to be deafening silence. sad.gif

Bart

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 5 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #33

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Fantastic work. Might I suggest changing your name to Exploitphotomosaics ? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 6 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 174

I did read that, but didn't get back to the thread...

"Curiouser and Curiouser, said Alice"

Dione has higher density than most of the small moons, doesn't it?.. more isotope heat..

It's the only moon other than the hot enchilada with relatively pristine fracture patterns.

It has flat areas largely lacking large impacts and they seem relatively textureless other than smaller impact crater populations... as though they'd been resurfaced.

Isn't Dione the sat in a resonance with Enceladas?

It'd be the only other candidate in the system for any internal heating driven outgassing, "fer sure". Tethys had activity and resurfacing but looks pretty thoroughally dead now.

+Quote Post
angel1801
post Jul 25 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 694

QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ May 28 2006, 09:08 AM) *
Just a heads-up for the rev after next...it looks as though Cassini will have an outstanding moderate-resolution view of pretty much the whole fracture system, as well as additional gap fill coverage to the north. This view of Dione on 24 July 2006 from Celestia's reference trajectory is from a distance of 260,000km, the field of view narrowed by a factor of two for visibility.

[attachment=5904:attachment]

The Dione images were successfully taken and transmitted to earth and the 11 images are available as raw images. Also there are some good images of Rhea's south pole area in a crescent position from about 170,000 km out too.

--------------------
I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse; therefore choose life, that thou mayest live, thou and thy seed.

- Opening line from episode 13 of "Cosmos"

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Jul 25 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 773

After watching these pictures I'm still wondering about the reality of the Amata basin.
These pictures as well as most of the pictures of the same region taken with a lower resolution (Voyager 1 included) seem to show that it indeed exists. However, the high resolution pictures (which were all taken at low sun angle) do not show any trace of the basin. After the close flybys I was convinced about its non-existence, but now, I again have a doubt. So could it be a kind of palimpsest indicating a very old basin almost erased by the younger overlying tectonic patterns or is it just an optic illusion due to fortuitous placing of tectonic, impact and albedo features ?

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 25 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 150

I made this pseudo color (MT2+CL+UV filters) of last Dione view and only now I noticed the stright, narrow, bright features in the right/bottom region. Some of them clearly originate from a common point (impact?)...
Can someone explain these "channels"?
Attached Image
(normal version)
Attached Image
(enhanced version)

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Michael Capobian...
post Jul 25 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 544

They were originally thought to be crater rays and named Cassandra. Current theory says that they're a system of radial fractures and scarps.

Michael

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 26 2006, 05:57 AM
Post #39

Thanks Michael; this is amazing and recall me Europa, even if here channels aren't curved...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jul 26 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #40

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Dilo,

Here's a couple of earlier Cassini pictures of Dione that show Cassandra to good effect:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...3/N00037561.jpg

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...1/N00035168.jpg

And here's a PDF discussing the origin of the feature:

http://www.planetary.brown.edu/m42/m42_68.pdf

Cheers,

Ian.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 26 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #41

Wow, this "wispy material" could be a surficial deposit associated with (cryo)volcanic exhalations along cracks!
Thanks, Ian.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jul 27 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 15

Yeah, when you look at the lines in detail, it appears that there may have been upwelling along the thicker portions.

These do look more like cracks than rays, don't they? They are emplaced radially, and would seem to have been caused by some type of impact at the center of the radia. You'd think the surface would only do that if it were a fairly thin layer of ice floating on a liquid ocean, wouldn't you?

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 27 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #43

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I might have looked instead at diapir effects - let's say Cassandra marks a diapir that stalled, just producing a few radial cracks, while the main fracture system was produced by a major diapir-induced uplift, lots of basically radial fractures in broad lanes, plus a bit of central subsidence as the process ended, producing Amata. I think an impact would be more obvious.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Jul 27 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 773

Is there any chance that Dione is still active ? I would not be so surprised.
I heard about rumors of plumes. Does anyone know more about that ?
Dione is for me the third most interesting moon of Saturn (after Titan and Enceladus of course), far more interesting than the curious but likely old and frozen Iapetus. The tectonic features appear to be really "fresh" (as it seems to be also the case for the giant basin near the south pole).

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Jul 28 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 627

Any one look at the current CASSINI RAWS.....

probably just my bad eye eight (or blurry glasses), but I think I see a hint of diffuse activity along Dione's
crescent in this image.........

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...eiImageID=80462

Again..... see my earlier post to this thread regarding the CHARM presentation. Mass loading at Dione
was detected and the team suggests looking for plume activity...... wonder if this set of images is an attempt to do just that?????

Craig

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:36 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.