Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mission: Hayabusa 2
centsworth_II
post Sep 26 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #586

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

QUOTE (pandaneko @ Sep 26 2018, 05:27 AM) *
Here is my simplistic view of the formation of our solar system....
The sun is a second generation star so the solar system was not part of the first accretion events in the universe. We can study primordial objects in our solar system but unfortunately this will not be the same as studying the original primordial objects of the universe.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Sep 27 2018, 09:54 AM
Post #587

Member No.: 5323

Apologies. I will stop talking about solar systems. Good timing because I was going to add more to mine. Thanks.

P

+Quote Post
neo56
post Sep 29 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #588

Member No.: 79

I'm having fun with Ryugu, putting it on major cities and capitals to give a sense of scale:

Paris

New York City

London

Tokyo

Rio de Janeiro

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 29 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #589

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (neo56 @ Sep 29 2018, 12:11 PM) *
I'm having fun with Ryugu, putting it on major cities and capitals to give a sense of scale:

Problem is - if you did that - it would collapse under terrestrial gravity into a conical rubble pile. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
neo56
post Sep 30 2018, 07:01 AM
Post #590

Member No.: 79

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 29 2018, 09:20 PM) *
Problem is - if you did that - it would collapse under terrestrial gravity into a conical rubble pile. biggrin.gif

Oooops laugh.gif from a diamond shape to a cone, that's less impressive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lyford
post Sep 30 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #591

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (neo56 @ Sep 29 2018, 11:01 PM) *
Oooops laugh.gif from a diamond shape to a cone, that's less impressive.

Angle of repose be dammed, your work helped me get a grasp of the size of Ryugu... Having a terrestrial reference has always helped for scale (like @fredk's mystery man in all the MER pans). Though, somewhere on the internets, someone will probably use on of those images to illustrate a NASA doomsday conspiracy cover up theory. tongue.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 30 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #592

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Well...early on in Cassini they kept putting out an image of Enceladus hovering over a MODIS image of the UK for scale.

I kept wondering....why do they want to crash it into Birmingham?

🤣

+Quote Post
kenny
post Oct 1 2018, 04:51 PM
Post #593

Member No.: 759

Looking at those wonderful images of asteroidal rubble, I can imagine many of those boulders slowly descending out of the sky over millennia, and just settling there quietly... do we think that's how Ryugu accumulated, gently?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 1 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #594

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No, I'm afraid its history has been a lot more violent.

Most likely, it began life as part of a much larger body which was eventually blown apart by a devastating collision. This and many other fragments dissipated and took on their own identities. Ryugu was itself hit by many small impactors which ejected some fragments altogether, but threw out others at lower speed, which fell back to build up a layer of fragments. Then one day a big impact shattered the whole body. Again, quite a lot was lost for ever but enough stuff was thrown out more slowly and collected again under its own cumulative gravity to form the pile of rubble you see today. Since then a few other impacts have made the craters we can see, ejecting some fragments and redistributing the rest.

The last part of that could be said to match your gentle accumulation description, but it was just a part of a brutal past.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
hendric
post Oct 1 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #595

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

This is one reason I am excited for New Horizons at Ultima Thule. Getting to see a hopefully unaltered body up close should help answer a lot of questions on small body growth at the birth of the Solar System. I'm betting, based on what we saw with Rosetta, that it will be covered in 2-5m scale boulders that gently gathered together, perhaps as a few larger bodies merged over time. I'm betting against a shattered rubble pile!

For Ryugu, the lack of dust is fascinating. Is it too small to hold onto any generated during impacts? Does the dust settle inwards as the rubble pile redistributes itself after each impact? Hopefully the rovers and sample return has some answers!

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Oct 1 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #596

Member No.: 1563

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 1 2018, 09:23 PM) *
No, I'm afraid its history has been a lot more violent.

Most likely, it began life as part of a much larger body which was eventually blown apart by a devastating collision. This and many other fragments dissipated and took on their own identities. Ryugu was itself hit by many small impactors which ejected some fragments altogether, but threw out others at lower speed, which fell back to build up a layer of fragments. Then one day a big impact shattered the whole body. Again, quite a lot was lost for ever but enough stuff was thrown out more slowly and collected again under its own cumulative gravity to form the pile of rubble you see today. Since then a few other impacts have made the craters we can see, ejecting some fragments and redistributing the rest.

The last part of that could be said to match your gentle accumulation description, but it was just a part of a brutal past.

Phil

I'm going to assume that's well informed speculation and deduction, rather than you having a blue police box parked in the corner of your garage 😁 My poor sense of humor aside (sorry man, you just give such a strong sense of witnessing the history of Ryugu) , such a violent history strike me as consistent with the apparent lack of hydration in the surface material, which surprised JAXA (I guess that's part of your reasoning? ) . But given such a well mixed object, might there not still be hope of finding comparatively unaltered material?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 1 2018, 11:43 PM
Post #597

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No... it's the police box.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Oct 2 2018, 01:04 AM
Post #598

Member No.: 1563

I knew it!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 3 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #599

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Hi everybody, I'm doing a little forum maintenance. I've been remiss in organizing these asteroid mission subforums. There's now a separate Hayabusa2 subforum. I have split off the MASCOT posts into their own thread and also the MINERVA-II-1 posts into their own thread since it looks like people will be playing with those photos for a while. We'll keep this original thread open for general discussion. When it comes time to do the first sampling maneuver, we'll start a new thread for that, too.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Guest_mcmcmc_*
post Oct 4 2018, 09:04 AM
Post #600

Guests

I found an official DLR log for H2 position, expressed in meter distance from center rather than from ground:
https://www.dlr.de/dlr/en/portaldata/1/scri...nt_decimals.csv
Ryugu radius is around 450 meters.

This will be instead useful during return to Earth (if updated):

https://www.dlr.de/dlr/en/portaldata/1/scri..._english_KR.txt

These data are used by the DLR simulators:
https://www.dlr.de/dlr/en/portaldata/1/scri...busa2/tall.html
https://www.dlr.de/dlr/en/portaldata/1/scri...abusa2/box.html

But it looks like they don't work properly.

+Quote Post

66 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 42 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.