Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jan 12 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #3

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

I reckon so... after all, all those plesiosaurs, scorpion-people and "blue suited humanoids" must break wind sometimes... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 12 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Mike Mumma's name is synonymous with methane.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Jan 12 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 253

I'm just trying to remember... wasn't something "methane related" already reported few months ago, ESA perhaps?

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jan 12 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #6

Rover Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 47

For more detail you could probably look at Mumma's DPS talk, though that talk may not be online anymore.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jan 12 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 124

Mike Mumma's name is synonymous with methane.

unsure.gif Awkward silence biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 12 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #8

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Yep Methane and with the others on this Press Conference it seems to me that the emphasis will be on the implications for biological origins. Now before anyone goes postal those implications could, of course, be negative.
Checking out the other names home pages shows that they all have notable experience researching Methane in Mars Atmosphere:
Sunil Atreya (Mars Express PFS, Sources and sinks of methane on Mars .. )
Geronimo Villanueva (
Search for Biomarker Gases on Mars, Identification of a New Band System of Isotopic CO2 near 3.3 µm: Implications for Remote Sensing of Biomarker Gases on Mars .. )
Lisa M. Pratt (Director NASA Astrobiology Team, Life in the Deep Subsurface of Earth and Mars, Long-Term Sustainability of a High-Energy, Low-Diversity Crustal Biome .. )

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 12 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1345

Here's some handy numbers (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_volcano)

On Earth, mud volcanoes are estimated to belch out about 2E11 - 1E14 m3 methane per year (at STP).
= 8.79E12 - 5.49E15 mol CH4
= 141E12 - 88E15 g CH4.

(The estimated amounts vary wildly, the numbers above are at the high end of the range. It's about 5-10% of the total methane output, most being biogenic).

What I didn't realize is that the main route for destruction of methane in Earth's atmosphere is reaction with hydroxyl radical in the upper atmosphere. Would this be a similar process for removal of methane from the Martian atmosphere, or would direct photolysis (CH4-->CH3. + H.) be operative? Or would dust grains be a catalytic surface?

Here's a handy link on tropospheric oxidizing processes on Earth: http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/peop...0Oxidation%20of

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jan 12 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 530

Isn't the methane emitted from mud volcanoes originally biological in origin, even if it's geological now?

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 12 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Jan 12 2009, 05:43 PM) *
Isn't the methane emitted from mud volcanoes originally biological in origin, even if it's geological now?

Dunno. I always assumed it was from oxidation of iron minerals with H2 reduction of carbonate rocks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentinite)

[olivine + wa-wa + carbon dioxide --> serpentine + magnetite + methane]

(Fe,Mg)2SiO4 + nH2O + CO2 --> Mg3SiO5(OH4) + Fe3O4 + CH4

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jan 13 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 424

There's some interesting background on Mars and Methane on Oliver Morton's wonderful blog, Mainly Martian.

The blog is now, alas, largely inactive, but for a year and a half it was a leading source for news of the rovers and unequaled for thoughtful and extremely well informed commentary on the rovers and planetary exploration generally. (Another starting point for the methane discussion is the Two Thousand Cows post.)

Mainly Martian is worth reading in chronological order, starting here, and it's a shame that the site doesn't make it easier to do so.
It's practically a sequel to Morton's book on Mars, Mapping Mars, itself an outstanding discussion of the state of Mars exploration on the eve of the Rover landings. The book is also a meditation on the experience of visualizing a distant planet, and provides a kind of historical and philosophical background to the activity of umsf.com.

TTT

+Quote Post
tdemko
post Jan 13 2009, 02:43 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 9

The methane from most large mud volcanoes (e.g. Caspian Sea region and Indonesia) is most likely biogenic gas from the degradation of near-surface hydrocarbon accumulations.

For newbie mud volcanologists, here is a great place start.

--------------------
Tim Demko
BioLink site

+Quote Post
HughFromAlice
post Jan 14 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 3989

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 13 2009, 03:32 AM) *
Methane?

Methane!! Yes, this could be a v interesting update/briefing.

QUOTE (HughFromAlice @ Oct 15 2008, 07:11 AM) *
Michael Mumma and his team are confident that they have measured local methane plumes of up to 60 parts per billion over Nili Fossae and the S.E. quadrant of the nearby Syrtis Major shield volcano.
................................ The big question still to answer - do they come from geochemical processes, biological processes or both? I - for one - am dying to find out!!!!

I posted this in topic Local Methane Plumes On Mars a few months ago. In particular, check the interesting replies........ The problems on interpreting gases in the Martian atmosphere at parts per billion using ground based spectroscopy, alternative explanations for methane production such as via a Sabatier type process (good basic reference in Wikipedia) and Mars Express results.

For a start, I wonder if the update will be based on data derived from ground based spectroscopy???!!!

+Quote Post
Guest_Enceladus75_*
post Jan 14 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #15

Guests

I hope that it has to do with a detection of methane by an orbiter spacecraft, to verify/back up the Earth based spectroscopy claims. This would be a really exciting finding either way.

Or it might be do do with the erosion/stripping away of Mars's atmosphere and the implications of this for its geological and hydrologic history and lilkihood of standing water bodies on the surface in the past.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:02 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.