IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winter campaign at Cook Haven, Sol 3512 - 3599 (December 13, 2013 - March 10, 2014)
ngunn
post Jan 24 2014, 10:12 PM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 24 2014, 08:12 PM) *
wind more readily lifts sand-sized particles than clay-sized particles, both on Earth and on Mars. It was a mystery until pretty recently how dust was getting lifted off the Martian ground into the atmosphere, when sand didn't seem to move much.

Very interesting. It's obvious there's something amiss with the theory. On Mars the dust is clearly more mobile than the sand or else everything would be grey not red.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tycho
post Jan 25 2014, 02:09 AM
Post #107

Member No.: 6694

Once lifted in the atmosphere, clay-sized particles stay there for a very long time, mixed up by the wind again and again and spread all over the planet. The sand falls down immediately. Remember there is no rain to wash out the atmosphere.

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Jan 25 2014, 09:04 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 6783

Looking at post #86 from mhoward, I noticed a coloured patch on the ground above PI the same as it's 'interior'. Does anyone think there is a link? Maybe this is an impact site where the rock landed (launched by your favourite method) and then rebounded, performing a half sommersault, and then landing in it's present position.
Or am I as mad as a bag of badgers?

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jan 25 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #109

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

That's the brush mark.

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Jan 25 2014, 09:33 PM
Post #110

QUOTE (mhoward @ Jan 25 2014, 09:22 PM) *
That's the brush mark.

You sure?

Strange shaped brush.

Was the inside of the rock brushed as well?

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jan 25 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 152

The brush spins, so normally makes a disc-shaped mark. In this case it looks like the plane of the brush was tilted a bit compared to the ground, so only made contact on a portion of the disc (we can see the lower part of the disc).

I think it's pretty unlikely that they'd try to brush a small, loose rock like PI - I doubt the rock would sit still!

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Jan 25 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #112

I mention brushing the rock because of the similarity in colour. The reason for my post in the first place.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 25 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #113

Also, being freshly dug up it has no dust on it so it doesn't need brushing.

We have been told that the interior of the rock is chemically unusual but so far nothing about the bright teeth around the perimeter, or have I missed something?

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Jan 25 2014, 10:06 PM
Post #114

Because the colour of the inside of the rock is so similar to the 'brush' mark would that indicate that it hasn't been carried that far, or would it put a limit on how far it could have been carried, or an indication of where it may or may not have come from?
And would the place that it came from now be the same colour as the brush mark?

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jan 25 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #115

QUOTE (algorithm @ Jan 25 2014, 03:33 PM) *
You sure?

Strange shaped brush.

Yes, pretty sure in this case: the mark wasn't there in earlier Pancam images before the RAT was placed on that spot. And it looks like a typical glancing brush mark.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 25 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #116

I don't think it has been carried far, just kicked out by a wheel scrunching around in a turn or whatever. Should it match the place where it came from? Yes.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jan 25 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #117

As for whether the corresponding hole in the ground (assuming it exists) exposes the same colors, I believe Steve Squyres said at the Planetary Radio Live 10th Anniversary Celebration that's something they'd like to find out, and they will be moving the rover soon to try to take a look.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jan 26 2014, 12:57 AM
Post #118

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 19 2014, 11:00 PM) *
Already done, put to paper, peer reviewed and published
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/artic...019103513001693

Thanks for the reference. I finally had a look at it, and, judging from Fig 4b, the observed cumulative crater frequency is a bit over 2*10^-6 craters/km^2/year. That's for all craters larger than the smallest observed (roughly 1.5 m diameter). So in 10 years, the odds are about 2*10^-5 that a crater would form within one square km of Oppy.

Even if you follow the trend of the models, which predict higher rates than the observations, the odds are perhaps only 10 times larger (hard to be sure, since the model predictions aren't given for the smallest craters). I guess you should also add meteors small enough that they don't produce craters, but the trend of the cumulative curve (4b) is not promising.

Either way, Oppy would be very very very lucky to experience a meteor hit that close.

On the other hand, the odds are good that Oppy has been within very roughly a 130 km radius of a meteor strike in these 10 years...

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Jan 26 2014, 10:16 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3555.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 26 2014, 11:45 PM
Post #120

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

This is a quick polar version of Jan's new panorama.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:31 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.