IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winter campaign at Cook Haven, Sol 3512 - 3599 (December 13, 2013 - March 10, 2014)
ngunn
post Feb 15 2014, 12:33 AM
Post #151

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

The location may be solved but we still have two hypotheses for the formation of the bright componenet. It's either formed recently near the surface or it is a serendipitous exposure of something ancient. I'm going with number one. There is some water vapour in the air and it must go through cycles of condensation and sublimation. There will be an active layer at some depth where crystals form, like desert roses in Arabia. Maybe that layer is just a couple of centimetres down and we're seeing the products here.

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/108334/_dsc4210_800.jpg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 15 2014, 12:51 AM
Post #152

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

On the other hand - that suggests the products should be found almost everywhere. An excavated stratum of unusual material could be much more limited in extent. Maybe mapping occurrences of rocks like this around the hilltop will help resolve the question.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
serpens
post Feb 15 2014, 02:51 AM
Post #153

Member No.: 4605

I think I would punt for number two ngunn. Given the miniscule absolute humidity and temperatures it is extremely difficult to see how manganese iron oxide crystals could form, recently, near the surface and internal to Stuart Island, which in itself is potentially an eroded out clast. The Manganese iron oxide crystals alone would seem to point towards a hydrothermal deposition. High magnesium and sulphur content implies a magnesium sulphate. No idea of the hydration state but there would be a high probability that this also formed by ground water mobilisation. We have seen enough kieserite since landing in Eagle crater to imply that water deposition from the atmosphere is effectively non-existent.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 15 2014, 06:35 AM
Post #154

Member No.: 152

As atomoid reminds us, Oppy's lost bits of hardware before. But I don't think this is a nut, as much as it might look like one:
Attached Image

Probably just a fragment of rock from the PI-forming incident.

Edit: this frame from the current location just missed capturing the "nut" at higher resolution:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...5M1.JPG?sol3571

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 16 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #155

The sol 3578 images:

http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MERB/sol/03578.html

seem to show the right front wheel driving right over Pinnacle Island - an attempt to crush it, probably.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 16 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #156

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Hmm... I've been wishing they'd do that, but I think PI is still safely at the bottom of this image, uncrushed, unless I'm missing something. Probably just repositioning, but I do hope they run over it again, and maybe crush some other rocks for good measure!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 16 2014, 08:52 PM
Post #157

Oh, right... there are later images, but it's another rock the wheel has probably run over.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Feb 16 2014, 09:21 PM
Post #158

Member No.: 116

omg, all of this talk about the violent treatment of rocks has left me feeling faint. laugh.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Feb 16 2014, 10:44 PM
Post #159

Member No.: 4338

http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/p...FCP2535R7M1.JPG

The dark rock on the right looks different from this earlier image.

[EDIT: Sorry for being unclear. Comparing the above image to the image linked in mhoward's post:

http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MERB/im...4P1205R0M1.html

there is a very dark rock that appears to have been crushed. That it is the same is evident from the bedrock underneath although the perspective is quite different. (I think the rock is in one piece in the prior image although it looks cracked and is partially in shadow.)]

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 17 2014, 03:40 PM
Post #160

Member No.: 152

Which two images are you comparing, marsophile?

QUOTE (fredk @ Feb 15 2014, 07:35 AM) *
Probably just a fragment of rock
As expected, a fragment it is:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Feb 17 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #161

Member No.: 4338

QUOTE (marsophile @ Feb 16 2014, 02:44 PM) *
The dark rock on the right looks different...

Attached Image

On second thoughts, it might be an illusion caused by the change in perspective. The rock looks pretty beaten up even in this earlier image.

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Feb 17 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #162

Member No.: 353

The Navcam images from Sol 3571 and Sol 3573 stitched together.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Feb 18 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #163

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (serpens @ Feb 14 2014, 06:51 PM) *
I think I would punt for number two ngunn. Given the miniscule absolute humidity and temperatures it is extremely difficult to see how manganese iron oxide crystals could form, recently, near the surface and internal to Stuart Island, which in itself is potentially an eroded out clast. The Manganese iron oxide crystals alone would seem to point towards a hydrothermal deposition. High magnesium and sulphur content implies a magnesium sulphate. No idea of the hydration state but there would be a high probability that this also formed by ground water mobilisation. We have seen enough kieserite since landing in Eagle crater to imply that water deposition from the atmosphere is effectively non-existent.

As an alternative to truly 'ancient' deposits (hundreds of thousands of years, rather than billions), might it be plausible for the source of humidity to be associated with a recent Milankovitch epoch, one in which an overlying snowpack drift accumulates against and outcrop and becomes buried by blowing sand to linger below the surface long enough to eventually interact and form deposits like this? and the non-ubiquity of such deposits be explained by the initial uneven formation and weathering in the intervening eons?

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 18 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #164

Member No.: 542

I appreciate both replies on this topic. Regarding the unusual elemental composition, undoubtedly that has to have arrived with the rock itself. That's no surprise. We know the sediments here contain fragments of many different types of source rock, no doubt from diverse locations traversed by the episodic flooding events. So far I'm with serpens. That said, I also think it's likely that atypical rocks that find themselves just centimetres below a freshly exposed surface as erosion proceeds will undergo at that stage more rapid changes than they have done during long term burial. In particular they will be subject to temperature variations and perhaps humidity cycles too: daily, yearly and astronomical (Croll-Milankovich). Also pH changes. So recent recrystallisation processes have to be considered a possibility.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Feb 19 2014, 03:38 AM
Post #165

Member No.: 4605

Temperature is a limiting factor for formation of manganese iron oxide so a bit more than snow or humidity would seem to be necessary. Other than hydrothermal, I guess the most likely mechanism would be formation of bixbyite in the high temperature, steam rich impact cloud when Endeavour formed. Both scenarios would explain the positioning in rim breccia.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:10 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.