Reply to this topicStart new topic
Areo - 3D Model Generator for HiRISE Data
Matt Brealey
post Mar 8 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8038

Hi Everyone!

Over the last few weeks I’ve been writing a Mac app called Areo that generates 3D models from HiRISE data. I’ve just released the second beta that includes the ability to create fully 3D-printable models. I’m not entirely sure this is the right place to post it, but I thought it might be interesting to a few people here smile.gif

If you do get a chance to try it, I’d love to hear your thoughts/suggestions : https://www.thestateofspace.com/areo

Thanks!

Matt

ADMIN: Moved to Image Processing Techniques.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt Brealey
post Jun 19 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Hello Everyone!

As a quick follow-up to the above, I've just released the first beta of a new web-app over at AreoBrowser.com, which allows you to browse ALL of the available HiRISE DTMs in full 3D, directly in your browser! Full mobile support is coming soon, and if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions/bugs I'd love to hear them smile.gif

Thanks!

Matt

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jun 19 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

1) It would help if each DTM was listed under both eyes, not just one.

2) It would be useful if the texture was overlaid by default on the mesh

3) what is the sampling ratio you do? Is is 1:1 (every post?)

4) what is the underlying engine you sue?

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Matt Brealey
post Jun 19 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jun 19 2017, 03:31 PM) *
1) It would help if each DTM was listed under both eyes, not just one.

2) It would be useful if the texture was overlaid by default on the mesh

3) what is the sampling ratio you do? Is is 1:1 (every post?)

4) what is the underlying engine you sue?

Paolo

Hi Paolo, thanks for the response!

1) That's a very good suggestion, and it shouldn't be too difficult to implement! I'll see what I can do...

2) Do you mean the map-projected RGB/IRB images? It's definitely something I have planned. In all honesty I was waiting to see exactly what the S3 hosting costs would be before adding camera images/higher-quality meshes as an option, but so far it seems pretty reasonable! Ideally I'd pull the textures directly from the hirise-pds, however I've yet to have that conversation with them! smile.gif

3) The meshes are all currently capped at 5000 polygons, created by retopologising one of Areo's 1/16th proxy mesh exports. There is a LOT more data/detail that could be pulled out, but it comes down to loading/viewing efficiency in the browser and the same S3 issue as above.

4) I'm using ReactJS for the site itself and THREEJS/WebGL for the rendering.

Cheers!

Matt

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jun 19 2017, 04:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1200

1) you should be alble to just symlink it to one DTM, you don't need to duplicate it

2) I mean instead of just having a grey texture map, you should overlay the orthophoto associated with the DTM. They are available on the same page as the DTMs. From the hosting point of view, it is the same, just one mesh.

3) It would be nice if while capping at 5000 polygons you had multi-resolution meshes available, or generate the mesh in the backend capped at that value. This would allow to have a fast response and still have access to the full resolution of the DTM.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jun 19 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #6

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

That's an awesome website Matt! How long before you have a VR enabled version of it? smile.gif It's too bad most of the Minecraft map generators are defunct, it would be neat to export these to Minecraft maps for all the kids.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 19 2017, 10:40 PM
Post #7

Administrator

Member No.: 454

This is super cool! I will for sure be using this.

Another feature request: A button to quickly save a screen cap. It would be especially nice if the save button automatically populated the filename field with the filename of the DTM.

Oh and also an easy link to the metadata page for the DTM on the HiRISE website.

A slightly silly request: A "save stereo" button that would save the original image and take a hop to the right and save another image with a bit of parallax, to make it easy to make a stereo pair.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Matt Brealey
post Jun 20 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #8

RoverDriver :
1) Yep it's only the title in the list that needs updating. It's just a case of grabbing the data from the HiRISE site and updating the AreoBrowser page. Should be live in a day or so.

2) Agreed that this would be awesome, however the problem I'm currently facing is that as each DTM has a varying number of orthophotos available, some of which are more complete than others, it can be challenging to find the correct one to compress and host on my server for display in AreoBrowser. So far I've yet to find any metadata in the associated PDS labels that could make this search simpler, but I might be missing something obvious. I am open to suggestions! smile.gif

3) High-quality meshes are definitely coming before AB leaves Beta! I have the models created, it's just a case of hooking them into the system in a way that won't cause my S3 costs to skyrocket!

hendric : Thanks so much, I'm really glad you like it! I've actually been playing with a few VR options this week, so you never know... smile.gif And a Minecraft generator is actually a REALLY good idea - I'll take a look!

elakdawalla Thanks for the suggestions! I've actually just implemented the ability to 'Save Image to Disk' - it appears as a 3rd button on the toolbar in the 3D view. And there actually is a link back to the associated HiRISE page on the right side of each item in the DTM list (it's a menu that appears as 3 dots). It's admittedly a little too hidden right now though - I'll fix that and get it updated! As for stereo, I think I've figured out how to get it working this morning! I just need to find the time to get it coded and in smile.gif

Cheers!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 20 2017, 05:31 PM
Post #9

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Thanks for the save button, very helpful. And I had indeed missed those three little dots!

I showed an image I liked to a colleague and he was wondering if when you share a direct link (such as, say, http://areobrowser.com/dtm/ESP_017173_1715 ) you could get some information -- the observation's title and the link to the HiRISE website -- from the page you land on. As of now the list of files on the left bears no relationship to the image displayed on the right when you enter the site through such a direct link.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Matt Brealey
post Jun 20 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 20 2017, 06:31 PM) *
Thanks for the save button, very helpful. And I had indeed missed those three little dots!

I showed an image I liked to a colleague and he was wondering if when you share a direct link (such as, say, http://areobrowser.com/dtm/ESP_017173_1715 ) you could get some information -- the observation's title and the link to the HiRISE website -- from the page you land on. As of now the list of files on the left bears no relationship to the image displayed on the right when you enter the site through such a direct link.

No problem! And a title bar for the 3D view is something I've been meaning to get around to for the last few days. I've just uploaded it in it's current state (a bar at the top of the 3D scene showing the loaded model's title and a link to the HiRISE source) so if you refresh you should hopefully see it! Plan is to add some extra useful info/tools into that bar over the next few weeks.

And I do love that model... smile.gif

Cheers!

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jun 21 2017, 01:49 AM
Post #11

While you're throwing stuff on the feature pile, a red/blue 3D option built in for red/blue glasses would be great for low budget VR!

--------------------
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke

+Quote Post
Matt Brealey
post Jun 22 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (hendric @ Jun 21 2017, 02:49 AM) *
While you're throwing stuff on the feature pile, a red/blue 3D option built in for red/blue glasses would be great for low budget VR!

On it! smile.gif Thanks Hendric!

+Quote Post
Matt Brealey
post Jun 29 2017, 11:26 AM
Post #13

Hi all! Just a quick update to let you know that I've just pushed live a new build over at AreoBrowser.com adding most of the features we talked about above! (You might have to hit 'refresh' a few times to see it).

You can now toggle between low/high res models and textures, search for either of the stereo pair IDs, AND turn on a red/blue anaglyph mode which allows you to freely navigate around an 80s-style Mars smile.gif You can also now hide the sidebar giving you an even bigger view of the model.

Thanks for the suggestions, and if you think of any others please let me know! I'd love to keep pushing to make the platform as useful as possible before opening up to other model sources. (Next on the list is a VR mode for web/Google Cardboard...)

Cheers!

Matt

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jul 6 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #14

I'm looking at the site with Google Chrome, all I can do is select an image and use the mouse buttons, I don't see any way to choose high res, red/blue, etc.

Viewing with Firefox appears to work correctly.

Awesome work Matt, loving the red/blue!

--------------------
--

+Quote Post
Matt Brealey
post Jul 6 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #15

Thanks Hendric!

QUOTE (hendric @ Jul 6 2017, 04:33 PM) *
I'm looking at the site with Google Chrome, all I can do is select an image and use the mouse buttons, I don't see any way to choose high res, red/blue, etc.

I've just checked here using Chrome on OSX and it seems to be working correctly, which makes me think it might be a caching issue. I'll look into seeing if I can force a reload every time I update the site with new features (I'm fairly sure it's possible), but in the meantime you might have to hit Reload until it triggers a re-download of the app. Sorry about that!

In other news, I've just had my first AreoBrowser usage bill through for the month and it looks like I've set everything up correctly which is quite a relief! As such, I'll be adding in OBJ downloads, 3D printable model downloads, and color textures over the next month. If anyone else has any requests, just let me know smile.gif

Cheers!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:41 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.