IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Using machine learning to colourise grayscale images, is it being done?
Habukaz
post Feb 20 2017, 10:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7310

I am just wondering whether machine learning is being used (by people here or elsewhere) to colourise space images that lack colour data (like MER Navcam images, LORRI images and so on).

I have a few ideas on how to do it; but if it is already routinely being done (and with good results), it wouldn't be as cool to try to implement them. tongue.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 20 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 184

I found this via an online search, though it looks to be just for Earth ground-based images: http://cs231n.stanford.edu/reports2016/219_Report.pdf

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Feb 21 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7310

Thanks for the link (here's another). I'd expect colourising images from Earth to be more tricky than many celestial targets (including Mars) due to the greater number of common colours as well as types of objects, at least in many common settings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Feb 21 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6783

Never mind machine learning, how about human learning!
I've been trying to figure out how it's done in Photoshop for ages now. Maybe PS isn't up to the job! mad.gif

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 22 2017, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 321

Funny, I have been thinking recently on a related problem, to add texture to images of a given resolution after upscaling them so that resolution could be increased.

The basic truth, though, is: You can't get something for nothing. A BW photo of Uranus, Titan, and Venus might be exactly the same. You can color them by knowing the right answer, but it's absolutely impossible to extract color from the image itself. And the same principle applies on all levels.

I have colored a BW image that I took of Mars – that's quite predictable, on a global scale, but only because I know what the colors of Mars are.

If color is easily predictable from brightness alone, then this can be done. If not, it can't. And this will have to be world by world, nebula by nebula, etc.

I'd say that Mars and Europa, to choose a pair, make this quite possible at global resolution. Jupiter, for example, does not (the GRS is the same brightness as many non-red portions of it).

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Feb 22 2017, 11:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6780

If you have fractal patterns or some kind of implicite rule, you may be able to fill in a plausible solution. But when interpreting such images, you take the risk to interprete plausible artifacts. For any confidence estimates, you need to multiply the probability of your solution being correct for the ill-posed problem with the probability, that your interpretation is correct under the condition that your solution is correct.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 23 2017, 12:54 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 184

Extrapolating a Fourier spectrum can help fill in more resolution. An algorithm sort of along these lines used on Earth clouds is here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&a...147448319,d.cGw

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:16 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.