Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons: Pre-launch, launch and main cruise, Pluto and the Kuiper belt
nprev
post Aug 17 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #1441

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Good stuff as always, Alan; thanks! You guys are staying pretty busy!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Aug 17 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #1442

Forum Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

I always enjoy his updates. You get the sense that as each year passes they will get busier and busier.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Aug 17 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #1443

Member No.: 590

I'm curious what sort of useful data can actually be collected for these tiny moons.

--Greg

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 17 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #1444

Member No.: 523

Some surface detail, albedo measurements, accurate dimensions and some very crude spectral data. Not bad for something that didn't even "exist" several months ago...

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Aug 17 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #1445

Member No.: 4489

I'm curious what sort of useful data can actually be collected for these tiny moons.

just enough information, so far, to tickle the fancy of artists .

YT vid.
http://youtu.be/oQSSr1anEf8

the Wikipedia page seams to be accurate
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/w.../Moons_of_Pluto
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/S/2011_P_1

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Aug 18 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #1446

Member No.: 173

I think for the best of the small moon's, we'll get imagery down to ~1 km resolution. So we will have gross morphology; with colors at cruder resolution (5-6x cruder) and hemispheric spectra. Plus shape, phase curve, and orbits, plus a look for associated rings in forward scattering.

Alan

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Aug 18 2011, 03:44 AM
Post #1447

Member No.: 590

Thanks, Alan. That's a lot better than what I had thought was possible.

Just four more years to go . . .

--Greg

+Quote Post
brellis
post Aug 18 2011, 01:38 PM
Post #1448

Member No.: 1700

Might we find some atmospheric exchange among the members of the Pluto system, like we're seeing with Enceladus?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 19 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #1449

Merciless Robot

I'd definitely bet on it happening between Pluto & Charon.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Aug 19 2011, 01:28 AM
Post #1450

Member No.: 4350

Maybe the barycenter is a snowball factory. Where could a chunk of ice go from there?

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 19 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #1451

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (brellis @ Aug 18 2011, 03:38 PM) *
Might we find some atmospheric exchange among the members of the Pluto system, like we're seeing with Enceladus?

this has been discussed here: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=6947

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 17 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #1452

Member No.: 1004

today's New Horizon tweet mentions the "Safe Haven Bail Out Trajectory" (SHBOT) that shifts the "encounter point to a place rings can't be"
any more info? where would be the encounter point in that case? at which distance from Pluto? and why would it be safe? rings would be instable at that distance?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 17 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #1453

Administrator

Member No.: 454

It has to do with the new moon discoveries they're making (it's an open secret that there's likely a couple more in the system beyond the four known -- Alan et al just won more Hubble time to confirm or deny this). They're not worried about New Horizons hitting an undiscovered moon -- that's a vanishingly small probablility. The worry is that there might be a lot of unseeable dust and larger-sized particles whirling around among all those moons because of small impacts tossing ejecta into what new modeling studies are showing would be fairly stable orbits around Pluto. So this new trajectory would take New Horizons farther from Pluto at closest approach, to avoid the region where a dust hazard may exist. I mentioned this in passing here. I think they will be able to optionally select the SHBOT after they begin long-range Pluto observations -- they'll use some of their approach observations to search for rings and moons and plug those in to their models to assess the hazard.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 18 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #1454

Merciless Robot

Oy vey. So they're gonna have to plan out a complete alternative encounter???

I'm finally glad that NH needed 9 yrs. to get to Pluto....here we are at T minus >4 already, and there's clearly considerable work to be done.

But at the same time, you gotta just kick back, smile, and say: Science!!! biggrin.gif

It's utterly marvelous how rapidly observational astronomy is advancing in leaps & bounds as well as our understanding of things like moon & ring systems, and all that is increasingly aiding UMSF.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Sep 19 2011, 09:02 AM
Post #1455

Member No.: 173

Nprev-

SHBOT will be planned in detail in 2012. Most of the encounter is almost identical, deviating primarily in the use of MVIC for OpNav (long story); the hours around closest approach will differ more significantly owing to the different (and still TBD) SHBOT aim point. So while it's a bunch of work, it's not as complex as planning the nominal encounter, most of which can be mapped onto SHBOT.

-Alan

+Quote Post

109 Pages V  « < 95 96 97 98 99 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:11 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.