IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Moderated Section

There are many members of this forum who are published authors or have developed specific products that may hold a particular interest for members.
UMSF and The Planetary Society (TPS) do not endorse, warrant, or otherwise guarantee the books and products in this section, nor will UMSF and TPS be held responsible for or participate in disputes between buyers and sellers. UMSF and TPS receive no financial consideration for these books or products save those which may be specifically offered for sale by those organizations.
• Entries in this section will require an administrator or moderator approval.
• Please feel free to contact any of the team if you would like to have something added.
• Please note that attempts to post new books or products without seeking permission will result in posts being deleted and possible suspension.
• Once a topic has started, you are free to discuss as normal.

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
coming soon..., books to be published soon
Stu
post Oct 17 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #31

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Not so much "Coming soon" as "probably in your local bookstore now and screaming out from the shelf to be bought..." laugh.gif

I bought Andrew Chaikin's new book "A PASSION FOR MARS" and I'm afraid to say that I'm seriously considering hitting him with a lawsuit for compensation, specifically for loss of earnings. I have things to do. I have Outreach talks to plan, school talks to organise, writing and editing deadlines of my own, oh, and a full time job to go to too, but I can't get ANYTHING done because Andy's book is so good. If you've read "A MAN ON THE MOON" you'll be familiar with his writing style and passion for the subject; well, this book - as its name suggests - has passion in bucketfuls. It's just a wonderful read, lots of "Wow, I never knew that!" insight into what goes on behind the scenes of the Mars exploration community.

There are also some fantastic pictures, many I've never seen before, including some remarkable Mariner photos that look incredibly crisp and detailed, much better than any I've seen elsewhere.

I could say more, but no point really. If you have an interest in Mars this book is a must-buy! But if you really don't like lyrical waxings then it might not move you as much as it did me, 'cos Andy is definitely as deeply in love with Mars, and the beauty of space exploration, as many of us here are, and he wears his heart on his sleeve when it comes to how he feels about this stuff.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 17 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #32

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I was fortunate enough to read a preview copy. It's bloody amazing. And for those who are interested - I actually did a short interview with Andy a few months back ( after the final draft - but before it hit the printers ) that I'll be putting online this weekend!

Doug

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Oct 20 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #33

Group: Members
Member No.: 528

Completely by chance I ran across a new Europa book, "Unmasking EUROPA".

It is published by Copernicus Books, whom I had never heard of. A quick look inside the cover informs us that they are "An imprint of Springer Science-Business Media", and associated with Praxis Publishing Ltd. So, not a new player after all.

It is written by Richard Greenberg, the same author as "Europa: The Ocean Moon" I loved that book, but as previously discussed here on UMSF the author does have a political ax to grind with the scientific powers-that-be on the Galileo project. His arguments that the thick ice interpretation on Europa is flawed sound convincing, but when you are hearing only one side of a story it always does.

The new book is stripped of much of the mathematical and geologic terminology used in the original in order to reach a wider audience. I would prefer not to say it is "dumbed down", the best analogy I could think of is comparing a special issue of SCIENCE dealing with Europa, vs. the same information delivered in a long article in Scientific American.

I've only read the first few chapters. If anything this one feels even more political than the first, possibly because the author is spending more time describing the process of discovery of Europa's secrets. But I get the sense that the politics takes a mostly back seat for most of the rest of the book, and pops back up again towards the end.

Europa: The Ocean Moon was a pricey book, I think I paid $90 for it. "Unmasking EUROPA" is only $27.50, so it's a lot cheaper.
The first book had a lot more images in it, including a lot of context images and mosaics I had never seen elsewhere. If you only buy one of the two I would go with the first one. But being an outer planets junkie, I bought both without hesitation.

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Oct 20 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 453

Had the pleasure to browse a preview copy of Jim Bell's "Mars 3-D: A Rover's-Eye View of the Red Planet" book recently; very cool format with a fold-out front cover that has the red/blue glasses built in (so they can't get lost) and a hole for your nose :-). "Regular" images and explanatory text on the left hand pages, and the (sideways) anaglyphs (including color ones) on the right hand pages. Minor drawback might be for "older" readers that the distance from the glasses to the anaglyph page is not that far, thus perhaps forcing the use of reading glasses?

Tons of pictures and text; should be a keeper! And a good price too, e.g.:

http://www.amazon.com/Mars-3-D-Rovers-Eye-...118&sr=8-11

Airbag

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Oct 22 2008, 06:17 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1004

Robotic Exploration of the Solar System 2 should be out in a few days. I received my author's copies yesterday

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 29 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #36

Guests

Paolo, Amazon.co.uk starts to send "" Robotic Exploration of the Solar System part 2 "" out this week (finally got an e-mail it will be delivered).

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 31 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #37

Guests

IYA2009 book + DVD:
http://www.wiley-vch.de/publish/en/books/b...c1kpv9akpvkq1f2

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 2 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #38

Guests

Sir Patrick Moore combining his love for astronomy and the English game of cricket:

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 4 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #39

Guests

Paolo Ulivi's " Robotic Exploration of the Solar System - Part 2 - Hiatus and renewal 1983-1996 " is a must have!
535 pages covering Venus Orbiting Imaging Radar, Giotto, Vega, Magellan, Galileo, Ulysses, NEAR, Mars 94/96, Sojourner... to name a few missions!

+Quote Post
imipak
post Nov 4 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 617

(re: cricket on Mars) The swing, seam, and spin bowlers would be massacred in the thin, dry atmosphere - like a dull Sunday afternoon at Minor Counties v. Dutch Tourists - and I find a purely pace attack lacks much of the essential cat-and-mouse drama. On the other hand, if anyone can make sense of Duckworth-Lewis, it'd be JPL...

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 7 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #41

Guests

A Passion for Mars – Intrepid Explorers of the red planet
Superb Hardcover edition with 279 glossy pages telling the Mars exploration story from Percival Lowell to Steve Squyres. Excellent and rare color photos (Leighton, Sagan, Murray, Soffen, Lee, Mutch, Hibbs, Malin, Theisinger, Manning, Garvin, ...).
As best 2008 book on Mars-related unmanned spaceflight = a must-have!

+Quote Post
imipak
post Nov 7 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 617

Thirded - I'm half-way through my copy (of "A Passion for Mars") and it does live up to the glowing reviews above. I also greatly enjoyed Doug's interview with Andrew Chaikin, which I'd been saving up until I'd read at least some of the book.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 10 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #43

Guests

Also from Jim Bell: Moon 3-D: The Lunar Surface Comes to Life

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 30 2008, 08:41 AM
Post #44

Guests

Another mars.gif Mars-related book:

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 8 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 1004

On a lighter note: "Space is a funny place" by Colin Pillinger, on 50 years of space history through comics strips and cartoons. Nice book!

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:21 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.