IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
March 4 2006 Pioneer 10 contact attempt, Any news?
Robert_47
post Mar 6 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 644

The Planetary Society mentions on http://www.planetary.org/programs/projects...ate_200511.html that there would be a contact attempt with Pioneer 10 on March 4, 2006. Any information so far?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 6 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Here's the news, and it looks like we've heard the last chirp from Pioneer 10. sad.gif I just posted this update on our website.

From http://www.planetary.org/programs/projects...ate_200603.html

The Final Attempt to Contact Pioneer 10

March 6, 2006

In early March 2006, for the very last time the Earth was in a favorable position to receive Pioneer 10's radio signal. It was considered possible that Pioneer 10 would still be able to transmit, despite the age of its electronics, the extreme coldness of deep space, and the diminishing amount of electrical power on board. The Deep Space Network attempted to reacquire Pioneer 10's weak signal, with the hope, however faint, that we may yet have another data point to aid in our investigation of the Pioneers' enigmatic behavior. Pioneer Anomaly Team member Slava Turyshev reports on the outcome of this final attempt to make contact with Pioneer 10.

Update from the Pioneer Anomaly Team

We carried out the observations of the Pioneer 10 spacecraft, per a proposal that was approved by NASA earlier last week, on Friday and Saturday nights, March 3 and 4, 2006 (local time). Sadly, there was no real-time detection of a carrier signal from the spacecraft.

We did carry out open-loop RSR [Radio Science Receiver] recordings of the two passes for archiving. We will process the recordings using parameters that would increase the resolution over the real-time spectral reporting by the receiver, and search for a signal.

At this time, our team does not suspect any errors in our planning, pointing, uplink strategy, or ground receivers tuning predictions, which would explain Pioneer 10's silence. If the signal is not detected in the post-pass processing then we speculate that spacecraft components have degraded faster than was thought, or perhaps the RTG [Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator] output was no longer sufficient to power the S-band TWT [Traveling Wave Tube] amplifier. This is likely the end of this part of the Pioneer 10 story.

We are now almost ready to start analysis of the entire data set that was recently assembled at JPL.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Mar 6 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 426

It would have taken a whole day for the signal to make the round trip... so there will be some delay associated with this.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 6 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #4

Administrator

QUOTE (Rob Pinnegar @ Mar 6 2006, 01:48 PM) *
It would have taken a whole day for the signal to make the round trip... so there will be some delay associated with this.

Yep. That's why they needed DSN time on both March 3 and March 4.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tasp
post Mar 7 2006, 02:34 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 162

Beep barp bwarp . . . .

Pull-ee-az deposit a 25 cents for the next a three a minutes, thang you.

bwoop, bleep, bwop

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

blink.gif

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Mar 7 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 534

Is the situation such that Pioneer's (both of them) power supply has dropped too low to send out a signal, or is it such that that Pioneer is too far away and the signal too weak for our largest antennas to pick it up anymore.

It was my understanding that it is the latter, and that if we had a larger DSN dish we would still be able to pick it up (this is ignoring alignments). Am I misunderstanding? Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Mar 8 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 114

Why are they trying to contact Pionner?

The klingons destroyed it. blink.gif

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 8 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #8

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Decepticon @ Mar 8 2006, 09:22 AM) *
Why are they trying to contact Pionner?

Partly just to see if they can, partly to add another point of data to the Pioneer anom. data set.

Doug

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Mar 8 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 239

Centauri Dreams has a new article which holds little prospect of a signal being detected, though you can never say never!

http://centauri-dreams.org/

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 8 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #10

Administrator

QUOTE (BPCooper @ Mar 7 2006, 01:37 PM) *
Is the situation such that Pioneer's (both of them) power supply has dropped too low to send out a signal, or is it such that that Pioneer is too far away and the signal too weak for our largest antennas to pick it up anymore.

It was my understanding that it is the latter, and that if we had a larger DSN dish we would still be able to pick it up (this is ignoring alignments). Am I misunderstanding? Thanks!

I sent your question to Slava, and here's the response I got:

We think that the signal actually never left the spacecraft... See, our
figures for required power to operate the transmitter are

Cable loss: 1.6 W
Inverter loss: 5.3 W
CTRF loss: 8.5 W
CTRF load: 12.4 W
TRF loss: 3.4 W
TRF load: 3.6 W
Shunt: 1.6 W
TWT: 22.3 W
-------
total 58.7 W

Thus, we needed total of 58.7 W power to operate the phase-lock loop at
the spacecraft. At the same time, the actual RTG power is about 56.7 W,
leaving us with a 2 W discrepancy, which is consistent with observed
discrepancies in past readings.

Our logic to still conduct this experiment was: i) this was the last
ever attempt, and ii) all the numbers above are with some errors, so the
hope was that we would have just enough power to initiate the contact.
Unfortunately, the cold of the deep space frozen the craft prohibited us
to "motivate" the craft for one last "phone call home.." .

--Emily

--------------------

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Mar 9 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 534

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Mar 8 2006, 03:48 PM) *
I sent your question to Slava, and here's the response I got:
--Emily

Thanks Emily.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 13 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #12

Guests

So now, exactly 40 years after TRW (Thompson-Ramo-Wooldridge) were contacted to build the spin-stabilised Pioneer F/G spacecraft, both probe have gone dark, their power source exhausted.
Last contact with Pioneer 10: 22 January 2003 ( heading towards constellation TAURUS - Bull )
Last contact with Pioneer 11: 22 November 1995 ( heading towards constellation AQUILA - Eagle )
Anyway these probes remain the true trailblazers of the Space age wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.