34 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
LROC news and images
Gerald
post Feb 23 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #466

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

I'm assuming the slabs composed of (bulk) basalt, and the surface layers consisting of (finer grained) regolith. The regolith should erode much faster than basalt.
Therefore, I've assumed the slabs being ejected fragments of a basalt layer beneath the surface regolith.
The slabs cannot be very young, since they are partially covered with cratered regolith, and there is no obvious sign of the slabs having impacted recently. Therefore they should be considerably harder (resistant to erosion) than the other material around.

Just one scenario.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wildespace
post May 1 2017, 09:20 AM
Post #467

Member No.: 6842

QUOTE (James Fincannon @ May 8 2012, 03:20 PM) *
Thanks, Phil.

Yes, I, of course, noticed those frames too during my work on this. My original assessment was that more work was needed (since it was not so clear cut as the three I was sure about) and I couldn't understand the shadows being shown without more modeling/analysis. Eric Jones and I went back and forth about this a lot. If someone in the audience wants to offer a model (i.e. 3D) for the shadow casting for these frames, then we would welcome it. It is baffling. You idea might work but I have not had the time to test it and other theories.

I can see the Apollo 15 flag's shadow clearly.

Attached Image

Basically, if you see a small shadow that, with the changing of the sun angle, seems to travel being detached from the ground, that's a flag's shadow, due to the flag being elevated above ground on a pole. The "Flip Book" is very helpful for noticing such things: http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/featured_sites/view_site/4

Shadows from objects lying directly on the ground stay attached to them.

Taking note of this, and my similar post about Apollo 14, perhaps it's time to update the ALSJ article?

--------------------

+Quote Post
wildespace
post May 3 2017, 08:36 AM
Post #468

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 22 2017, 06:10 PM) *
I'm replying here to James Ficannon's post in the Apollo from LRO thread. He linked to an image of a very unusual object in images of the floor of Paracelsus C on the far side.

I've come across a thread about these objects at another forum, so I'm currently "investigating" them and trying to see how the various NAC images can help us.

M1207284757LC and M1207277724LC provide a nice stereo view of these object.

Flick-gif:
Attached Image

Red-cyan anaglyph:
Attached Image

A few NACs comprise this "Flip Book" animation arranged by the sun angle:
https://media.giphy.com/media/3og0IJ9m19EJf7rJKM/giphy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
alan
post May 3 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #469

Member No.: 110

Check out this awesome image I took of Tycho Crater! About 100 million years ago, an impactor hit the Moon to form the 85 km wide crater.

https://twitter.com/LRO_NASA/status/859473553443495936

ETA: just noticed there is a blog post with zoomable image

http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/posts/902

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post May 28 2017, 12:14 AM
Post #470

Member No.: 497

http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/posts/973

On October 13th, 2014, while the left LROC Narrow Angle Camera (NAC) was imaging, something very strange happened... During this particular image, starting at line 22,616, there was a sudden and extreme cross-track oscillation of the camera with a magnitude of ~15 pixels (~0.008°) and a period of 27 lines... The only logical explanation is that the NAC was hit by a meteoroid!

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
John Moore
post May 28 2017, 09:01 PM
Post #471

Member No.: 4792

Re: http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/posts/973

Very subtle in the full NAC image.

Below image: in left, white lines midway down represent approximate location of the jittered part in the original NAC; in right, context - the camera was looking at the eastern sector of Lowell W crater at the time of occurrence.

John Moore

+Quote Post
Sean
post Aug 3 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #472

Member No.: 7837

Here are some renders made with LRO data...

Elevation data had to be compressed to half res to be read by the displacement modifier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Aug 4 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #473

Same data rendered at 625 Megapixels...[ 25k x 25k ]

Now hosted over at Gigapan

--------------------

+Quote Post
FOV
post Aug 4 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #474

Member No.: 5800

I had some fun locating the Apollo 15 landing site at Hadley Rille on Sean's Gigapan. I really enjoy the LROC images. Ty Sean.

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Sep 3 2017, 07:35 AM
Post #475

Great renderings, Sean.

Over at my Facebook group Colour of the Moon, Alain Paillou has been sharing his renders that used his telescopic images with increased saturation and LRO's DEM data. The results are quite cool:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

His telescopic images themselves are quite stunning:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Sep 3 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #476

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8O5g06Ak2M

Attached File(s)
Attached File  mooncolour.mp4 ( 3MB ) Number of downloads: 347

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 5 2017, 12:46 AM
Post #477

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

In case people had not seen it, the LRO Camera team have produced an atlas of permanently shadowed regions (PSRs). It's online here:

http://www.lroc.asu.edu/psr

You can also download a PDF of the whole thing.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it has some very interesting things in it. The LRO Narrow Angle Camera can see into PSRs using light scattered off nearby illuminated terrain. But the signal is very low, so they boost it by binning pixels, thereby reducing resolution. The binning also reduces smear produced by the longer exposures used in the shaded areas.

For each PSR there are several mosaics made of different sets of images. Sometimes complete or nearly complete coverage can be obtained by adding the mosaics, and where they are very streaky or otherwise compromised they can be improved by averaging mosaics. Here is an example, Shoemaker crater near the south pole, the site of Lunar Prospector's impact at the end of its mission, and the resting place of some of Gene Shoemaker's ashes. The resolution is nowhere near enough to look for the impact site.

The LCROSS site does not seem to be well represented in the Atlas. The deep double shadow at its location did not give good results.

Incidentally, the modified LROC-NAC instrument called Shadowcam, to be flown on the Korean Lunar Orbiter in 2020, will be able to obtain much better images inside PSRs.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 5 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #478

Lunar Orbit made with LROC data

4k 60 fps version over on Youtube

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 6 2017, 04:25 AM
Post #479

Copernicus made with LROC data

4k60 version over on Youtube

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 6 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #480

Bay of Rainbows made with LROC data...

4k60 version over on Youtube

--------------------

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:20 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.