Reply to this topicStart new topic
Opportunity Route Map
nprev
post Mar 16 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #1096

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Now, now...let's not write off either of the MERs yet. These machines are amazingly durable and adaptive (gotta give a shout out to Lockheed-Martin, for once, and of course the MER JPL team who have really shown us all how it's supposed to be done!!!)

While I know that they have to stop someday, it just seems like now is not the time. Personally, I would give an even chance of both of them lasting until mid-2008, and one of them surviving until 2010.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 16 2006, 08:33 AM
Post #1097

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (nprev @ Mar 16 2006, 12:23 AM) *
gotta give a shout out to Lockheed-Martin

Yup - Mars Odyssey is doing good relay.

But they didn't have much involvement with the rovers as I understand it.

Doug

+Quote Post
Tman
post Mar 16 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #1098

Group: Members
Member No.: 186

QUOTE (SigurRosFan @ Mar 15 2006, 03:11 PM) *
Almost 20 meters to landing ellipse.

wheel.gif wheel.gif

It's a bit more (70 meters). I vote for the center of Tes's drawn in landing elipse that fixs the limit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Mar 16 2006, 04:28 PM
Post #1099

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (nprev @ Mar 16 2006, 12:23 AM) *
Now, now...let's not write off either of the MERs yet. These machines are amazingly durable and adaptive (gotta give a shout out to Lockheed-Martin, for once, and of course the MER JPL team who have really shown us all how it's supposed to be done!!!)

While I know that they have to stop someday, it just seems like now is not the time. Personally, I would give an even chance of both of them lasting until mid-2008, and one of them surviving until 2010.

Should we start a pool, then? I'd prefer not to look on it as a 'how long until Spirit/Opportunity dies' but instead 'how much longer than the nominal mission lifetime will the rovers last?'.

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Mar 16 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #1100

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Mar 16 2006, 11:28 AM) *
Should we start a pool, then?
Bob Shaw

A rover dead pool? Yuck! There would be the grisly detail of deciding what constitutes death. Last transmission? Last useful data relay? Official termination of communication attempts?

How about: "Place your bets on which rover lasts longer."? or which goes farther?

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Mar 16 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #1101

Member No.: 103

Or, "Which one first goes on display at the National Air and Space Museum?" I'd like to be alive to see that...

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 16 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #1102

Founder

I wouldnt want to see them brought 'home' - leave them where they belong, in their home, up there.

Doug

+Quote Post
odave
post Mar 16 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #1103

Member No.: 209

We'll probably end up seeing the testbed rover at the NASM, I imagine. Does it have a name?

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
Bubbinski
post Mar 16 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #1104

Member No.: 167

I don't know if it has a name, but that would be a great place for it. I saw the 1/1 full scale model of the Mars Rover at the NASM a couple of years back, looked good, but I don't know if it looked completely realistic. Right by the rover they had a video monitor with pics of Endurance Crater, which Oppy had just reached.

If they put in the NASA test article I would love to see it up close.

--------------------
- My signature idea machine is busted right now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 16 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #1105

Founder

QUOTE (odave @ Mar 16 2006, 06:27 PM) *
We'll probably end up seeing the testbed rover at the NASM, I imagine. Does it have a name?

I think they have two - one built for mobility and one a full up model - and they're serial numbers 3 and 4.

Doug

+Quote Post
Roger Delaney
post Mar 16 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #1106

Member No.: 707

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 16 2006, 08:33 AM) *
Yup - Mars Odyssey is doing good relay.

But they didn't have much involvement with the rovers as I understand it.

Doug

As I recall, Ball Aerospace did the pancam, pancam mast, high-gain antenna and gimbal, and all the power and pyro electronics. Somebody else did the arm; I don't recall who.

R.

+Quote Post
Guest_BillyMER_*
post Mar 17 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #1107

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 16 2006, 01:25 PM) *
I wouldnt want to see them brought 'home' - leave them where they belong, in their home, up there.

Doug

lets compromise and have the rovers come back for a tour,sort of like King Tut's treasure coming to he US and then return them back to mars :-)
The most memorable rover mission my be yet to come and this decision of what to do with these might not be as important.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Mar 17 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #1108

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (alan @ Mar 14 2006, 10:52 PM) *
Premptive Route Map

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

[attachment=4548:attachment]

Assuming the rover drivers are paranoid about crossing dunes

I don't think it so. They have already learned and they MUST know which sand is transverable or not. Now, the transverse is of 100% checked before advanced and also there is an improved software which checks for the wheel sleepage.

Driving over the outcrop, the time would lead three times longer. No such long time for a so acked and troubled Oppy's wheel drivers.

Rodolfo

QUOTE (dilo @ Mar 15 2006, 02:26 AM) *
Definitely going to South on Sol760.
It seems Oppy avoided to go into this dangerous dune at the last moment, or it was intentional? huh.gif
[attachment=4550:attachment][attachment=4551:attachment]

This kind drive is most probably as intentional since the previous looks alike drive style is for scratching the land in order to check the type of subsurface of land.

Rodolfo

QUOTE (nprev @ Mar 15 2006, 07:23 PM) *

Yes really an amazing wheels since they looks pretty thin and fragil and how these thin, small and elegant design are able barely withstand as much as a 1000 km of a truck 4x4 off road (comparing the circunference distance between them) on desert without washing and grease the truck's chasis.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
mars_armer
post Mar 17 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #1109

Member No.: 143

QUOTE (Roger Delaney @ Mar 16 2006, 12:52 PM) *
Somebody else did the arm; I don't recall who.

The arm came from a small business in Pasadena:
Small California Aerospace Company Contributes to Mars Rover Mission
Alliance Spacesystems, Inc. Honored with NASA's Prestigious George M. Low Award

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Mar 17 2006, 02:50 AM
Post #1110

Member No.: 105

Alliance Spacesystems has tech info on the IDD at their website.

And Honeybee Robotics did the RAT.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post

240 Pages V  « < 72 73 74 75 76 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.