Reply to this topicStart new topic
Last stops around Victoria, before the Long Trek
Astro0
post Sep 29 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #31

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Paolo - "Seriously, the tracks Astro0 posted are way too close to the rim."

Hey, I didn't say that I knew how to drive blink.gif but I do know where we are going! smile.gif

Astro0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 29 2008, 03:15 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

Good hunch there, EGD. smile.gif

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Sep 28 2008, 08:10 PM) *
... On the image above, the end of your tracks are exactly at the second (and last) imaging location at VC. The first location is at the edge of the rim just above the 150 marker.
hmm...That looks like a good set up to do one more long baseline stereo pair. If so, it would be nice if it could be done in color.

I'd also suspect that if the second stop on the rim is the last, that afterward, the route would go pretty much directly south from there.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 29 2008, 03:25 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Sep 28 2008, 07:15 PM) *
Good hunch there, EGD. smile.gif

hmm...That looks like a good set up to do one more long baseline stereo pair. If so, it would be nice if it could be done in color.

I'd also suspect that if the second stop on the rim is the last, that afterward, the route would go pretty much directly south from there.

I haven't heard any mention of superres or WBS on the first target.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 29 2008, 05:11 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Sep 28 2008, 09:25 PM) *
I haven't heard any mention of superres or WBS on the first target.
Yes. But even if it wasn't planned, we will do it, if we can. The database might announce the intentions. I wasn't expecting superres unless something exceptional was noticed.

We only need overlapping images from those two locations, and it would seem neglectful to not collect more long distance 3D from the SW corner of the crater before Opportunity leaves. But, what do I know.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 29 2008, 08:17 AM
Post #35

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 28 2008, 11:39 AM) *
Driving limited perhaps by time rather than power - so if you forgo the imaging at the end of the drive before stopping for the PM UHF pass, you can get more drive time into the schedule.

More info on this loooong drive: it started around 12:45 and it took 'til 16:30 to cover those 150m with some stops in the way to confirm "all is well". This one hasn't the record in terms of distance, but perhaps it has the record in terms of driving time.

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Sep 29 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Sep 28 2008, 12:07 PM) *
(I hope) we are disciplined enough to think about the goal which is not beating the record but to get to Endeavour.

Interesting comment. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but it sounds like you are saying that very long drives are not good for the long term mobility of the rover. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 29 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (BrianL @ Sep 29 2008, 04:06 AM) *
Interesting comment. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but it sounds like you are saying that very long drives are not good for the long term mobility of the rover. unsure.gif

No, I really mean that while trying to do long drives we still maintain the rover safe. The goal is getting there, not die trying to.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 29 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #38

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (BrianL @ Sep 29 2008, 01:06 PM) *
Interesting comment. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but it sounds like ...

"How far can we go?" not "Can we go more than 220m?"

Doug

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Sep 29 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 4350

Please, excuse my ignorance. Would Oppy need to do a cool down stop if it drove for too long?

(I know, it isn't a F1, but the martian air isn't very conductive either.)

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 29 2008, 08:04 PM
Post #40

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Dunno.
But what I really know is that our fellow rover (or the driver behind wink.gif ) is a little bit "drunk".
Check the wheel marks: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...23P1312R0M1.JPG

I know, I know! That's deliberately made to ease the work for the autonav (or whatever it's called).

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 29 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #41

Founder

Drunken sailor walk smile.gif

I don't think the rover motors would overheat. With 900+Whrs during high summer, the WEB may get to an overheating situation ( as happened at the summit of Husband Hill briefly ) - but the rover motors are so exposed that I find it hard to believe they could get warm to the point of being worrying.

Doug

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 29 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 29 2008, 10:08 PM) *
Drunken sailor walk smile.gif
Doug

Realy? I thought it was more eratic. Well, last such drive was over 1 year ago and I don't remember very well. I didn't though we'll ever have to use it for real!
Anyway I guess she'll use lot of this technique for quite a while. I intentionnaly say "she" because I guess we can call this "self navigation" as opposed to "ordered navigation".

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 29 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #43

Founder

I don't think this was an example of the drunken sailor walk - but that's what they called it when the rover stopped quite regularly to give autonav / visidom something to see.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Sep 29 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #44

Guests

Are we on a day on/day off schedule for driving now or can we drive everyday?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 29 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #45

Founder

I would say at the moment we're on restricted sols.

Doug

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:08 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.