Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post Oct 11 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 471

New article:

- Jupiter's Little Red Spot growing stronger (Spaceflight Now)

Red Jr's winds now raging up to approximately 400 miles per hour (wind speed of Great Red Spot).

Why Red Jr's intensity is growing stronger? Change in size or ...

<< According to the team, the increased intensity of the Little Red Spot probably explains why it changed color. >>

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 15 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #48

Guests

So why are the storms red?
Scientists are still puzzled… sulfur, germanium oxide and various carbon compounds have been proposed as an explanation but the coloring agents still remain an enigma…

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 16 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 523

I'm curious: is the progenitor to Red Jr. the big, while oval that Cassini saw in 2000?

It certainly looks conspicuous. The funky composite is a MT3/MT2/UV1 as RGB. The oval appears bright in MT3 and very dark in UV so it turns out orange in the composite.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 16 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #50

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I've been trying to track down the origin of that storm too. Jupiter is hard because no cloud features stay put -- stuff at different latitudes shifts with respect to each other with timescales measured in days, and stuff at different longitudes but the same latitude shifts on slightly longer timescales.

According to some image captions on Photojournal the three white ovals first formed in the 1930s.

Here's the Voyager 1 view, from July 1979. You can see three large white ovals of roughly equal size in the band just south of the Great Red Spot. One is just below the spot, the other two are some distance away.

Here's an early Hubble view from May 1991, with just one of the spots showing up. And here's a very low resolution set from Hubble in July 1994, where you can barely make out the positions of the white spots. They're much closer together than they were in 1979.

Here's a Hubble view from February 1995. Three white ovals are now immediately adjacent. The caption says that the outer two white spots are ones that formed in the 1930s. What's the center one then? This caption also refers to another view from seven months earlier -- I haven't tracked that one down yet. There's a second image on the Hubble site, but there's no caption information saying when it was taken.

Galileo was in position to witness their merger in February 1998 but was of course only able to return tight views. Here are two Galileo views from February 1997 and September 1998. It says that two of the storms were called BC and DE after they formed. What was the third one called? What's the significance of these names? There's a whole bunch more of the February 1997 views here, here, here, here, and here...and 13 more...as well as a blinky movie.

Here's the Cassini view, from October 2000. You see just the one oval, roughly 150 degrees of longitude away from the Great Red Spot. So, yes, ugordan, that's the progenitor to Little Red.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Feb 17 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 174

Somebody mis-natigated and a Vogon ship fullof RED NUMBER TWO collided with Jupiter.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Feb 18 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #52

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

The constantly changing appearance of Jupiter's atmosphere is a fascinating subject. Many of these changes are quite obvious in amateur astronomical telescopes once you are familiar with Jupiter.

The origin of this 'new' red spot can be traced back to 1939 when the three white ovals seen in the Voyager images started forming. They were formed as a result of changes in three separate locations in the South Temperate Zone. Originally they were very long but then steadily contracted, rapidly at first. They were extremely similar to the GRS. These three ovals were known as BC, DE and FA. As previously noted, originally they were very long. At that time they were separated by dark segments known as AB, CD and EF.

In 1998 ovals DE and BC merged into a single oval labeled BE. In March 2000 ovals BE and FA merged into a single white oval (oval BA) visible in the Cassini images. In 2005 this single surviving oval started changing color and in 2006 it had turned red. Interestingly, HST observations revealed that wind speeds in the spot increased after it turned red.

There is a huge amount of information on Jupiter's long term behavior in John Rogers' excellent book The Giant Planet Jupiter (to anyone interested in this subject: If you don't have it, get it!). Patrick Irwin's Giant Planets of Our Solar System discusses this in less detail but from a more technical perspective. There's also some information here and in particular here.

Perhaps even more interestingly, the GRS may disappear in a few decades. It has been steadily contracting and if the same trend continues, by 2040 or so it will be circular. That's believed to be an unstable configuration so something interesting is going to happen - the big question is, exactly what?

Finally I'll end this by venting my frustration: I cannot observe Jupiter until 2010 due to my northerly latitude sad.gif.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 18 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #53

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

John is the BAA's Jupiter Section director - and I saw a great talk by him a while back where he suggested that the current GRS might not be the one that is supposed to have been visible for so long - but is actually the second GRS since recorded observations of Jupiter begun hundreds of years ago.

Also - the current spot is 'speeding up'. In 1950 it was rotating in around 10 to 12 days. Now it's more like 4 - 6 days - but at the same time it's getting smaller so one can't assume it's getting faster as a result

Observations of Jupiter are one of the great amateur projects still ongoing.

Doug

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 18 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #54

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Fascinating idea that this might not be Galileo's GRS...but if you think about it this makes sense. Jupiter's atmosphere is so dynamic that it's ridiculous to think of the GRS as a permanent feature in terms of geological time.

I recall some simulations a few years ago that indicated that a Spot-like storm almost always arose given a Jovian planet's assumed atmospheric properties, rotation rate, etc. But, it apparently doesn't have to be the same Spot every time. My question is whether two or more of similar magnitudes could be sustained, or does one have to die before another can fully form? huh.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 19 2007, 01:25 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 18 2007, 06:54 PM) *
I recall some simulations a few years ago that indicated that a Spot-like storm almost always arose given a Jovian planet's assumed atmospheric properties, rotation rate, etc. But, it apparently doesn't have to be the same Spot every time. My question is whether two or more of similar magnitudes could be sustained, or does one have to die before another can fully form? huh.gif

James Gleick's book Chaos referenced a 1985 paper that showed how a GRS would appear on Jupiter. The photos from the book are amongst these animations. There are some pretty neat videos there.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 22 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #56

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 18 2007, 11:21 PM) *
John is the BAA's Jupiter Section director - and I saw a great talk by him a while back where he suggested that the current GRS might not be the one that is supposed to have been visible for so long - but is actually the second GRS since recorded observations of Jupiter begun hundreds of years ago.

Also - the current spot is 'speeding up'. In 1950 it was rotating in around 10 to 12 days. Now it's more like 4 - 6 days - but at the same time it's getting smaller so one can't assume it's getting faster as a result

Observations of Jupiter are one of the great amateur projects still ongoing.

Doug

It is hard to tell. Before the early-mid nineteenth centuries, observations of sufficient quailty, both in terms of accuracy of the drawing and quality of the telescope, are spotty. But it is clear that the GRS is far from its former glory. For example, in this 1879 photograph by A. Common, the spot has the long appearance it had for the Pioneers, but, based on photos like this and visual observations, it was twice the size. The fact that the film used was sensitive to deep blue light jacked up the contrast, something I tro compensate for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 22 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Feb 18 2007, 05:25 PM) *
James Gleick's book Chaos referenced a 1985 paper that showed how a GRS would appear on Jupiter. The photos from the book are amongst these animations. There are some pretty neat videos there.

I'm always suspicious of modeling results that predict the past, but they're an interesting start towards science. Note that Saturn doesn't have a great red spot, and it's pretty similar to Jupiter. Also note that Jupiter's northern hemisphere doesn't have a great red spot.

There's more than one Internet kook who insists that the GRS reflects phenomena taking place at/in Jupiter's solid core, rather than being purely a fluid dynamic phenomenon in the upper atmosphere. While it's kooky to insist so, it's an interesting conjecture. It would certainly be nice to know more about the inner 50% of Jupiter, and Juno should be an exciting mission and would be even if it had no camera at all.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:39 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.