2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New colour maps of Saturn's icy moons
ngunn
post Nov 7 2014, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

New colour maps by Paul Schenk have now appeared in the Ciclops maps section. The Dione map is today's APOD. The link there goes to all the maps.

ADMIN: Ciclops Map Section. APOD Link.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Nov 7 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1828

QUOTE (ngunn @ Nov 7 2014, 05:07 AM) *
New colour maps by Paul Schenk have now appeared in the Ciclops maps section. The Dione map is today's APOD. The link there goes to all the maps.

ADMIN: Ciclops Map Section. APOD Link.

Hi!
the direct links to all the maps and videos are here:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/icy_moons
https://www.youtube.com/user/LPIUSRA
http://stereomoons.blogspot.com/2014/11/mo...ps-are-out.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Nov 7 2014, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 347

Great work. smile.gif

I like that you can tell right away that it's false color, but it's not psychedelic or too confusing.
Really informative of the global surface features and differences.

These will be extremely useful for Celestia, Orbiter and other free simulators / planetarium software (with some desaturation to bring them closer to visible color).

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 7 2014, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4057

Fantastic work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Nov 7 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (4th rock from the sun @ Nov 7 2014, 09:09 AM) *
Great work. smile.gif

I like that you can tell right away that it's false color, but it's not psychedelic or too confusing.
Really informative of the global surface features and differences.

These will be extremely useful for Celestia, Orbiter and other free simulators / planetarium software (with some desaturation to bring them closer to visible color).

Yes they, and they are formatted for easy use in those systems.

I wouldn't call them false. the colors are real, they are beyond the human range and are 'enhanced'. perhaps we can come up with a better word?

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 7 2014, 04:24 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4057

Shifted or translated colors is possibly good term.
Here is interesting article about "false" colors and some criticism of this term.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 7 2014, 08:22 PM
Post #7

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Looks great, thanks for making these maps available. If I want true color maps it's probably easier and more accurate for me to simply process these maps (probably mainly by reducing the color saturation) rather than create my own maps from R/G/B images.

Yes, "false color" is not an accurate description of the color of these maps. Perhaps enhanced or exaggerared color is more appropriate? I suspect the color of these maps is not unlike what one would get by increasing the color saturation of a true color map.

Several years ago I created a map of Rhea from relatively low resolution, low phase RGB images. I wanted to show Rhea's color without topographic shadows. There are some inaccuracies, in particular there weren't any good images available of the north polar region when I did the map. The map can be seen here (and I *really* need to update/move my website to something more modern...).

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Nov 7 2014, 08:52 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (DrShank @ Nov 7 2014, 03:55 PM) *
I wouldn't call them false. the colors are real, they are beyond the human range and are 'enhanced'. perhaps we can come up with a better word?

How about "scaled colour", as in shrinking the frequency range and stretching the amplitude, but without other distortion or arbitrary colour coding.

(I'm thinking here of the very effective red-green-blue scaling of three infrared wavelengths in Cassini VIMS images and similar constructs from space telescope data outside the visible spectrum.)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 7 2014, 08:54 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 530

"Translated color" is ponderous. It's even more ponderous when used as an adjective (...in this translatedcolorimage [deep breath]...), rather than as a noun in the discussion of what the best term should be. And it's not like "translated" cannot imply the loss of information or loss or original meaning any more than "false" can.

Maybe bandmapped would work for freq mapping. I just made it up. In any event it's most precise to describe everything that's being mapped, and that will likely require more than one adjective.

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Nov 7 2014, 09:14 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Nov 7 2014, 03:54 PM) *
"Translated color" is ponderous. It's even more ponderous when used as an adjective (...in this translatedcolorimage [deep breath]...), rather than as a noun in the discussion of what the best term should be. And it's not like "translated" cannot imply the loss of information or loss or original meaning any more than "false" can.

Maybe bandmapped would work for freq mapping. I just made it up. In any event it's most precise to describe everything that's being mapped, and that will likely require more than one adjective.

Ive been using "superman" colors which isn't quite correct as these aren't X-ray colors . . . but in any case, here is a comparison of an enceladus map in actual RGB vs IGU colors using the actual filters. There has been some contrast enhancement as well.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Nov 7 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Nov 7 2014, 08:54 PM) *
"Translated color" is ponderous. And it's not like "translated" cannot imply the loss of information or loss or original meaning any more than "false" can.

Agreed. That's why I think "scaled" is better. It avoids those pitfalls whilst allowing transformations other than moving sideways.

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Nov 8 2014, 01:56 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 347

When I first studied about "color compositions" (from single color band images) they were called "false color".
Agreed that things like IR/R/G used for earth observation with the SPOT satellites are quite different from IR/G/UV.

I'd go for enhanced colors.
Translates well into other languages, gives the impression that "bluer" or "redder" are real effects and should be visible to a person standing there.

I don't like superman colors since for that you'd need x-ray vision. Perhaps that's more appropriate for Titan where you see through the clouds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Nov 8 2014, 09:47 PM
Post #13

I'm going to have another go at posting the link I should have put in post 1. Goodness knows what will happen but here goes: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/targetFamily/Saturn

Wow! It worked. Looking at all the maps together what strikes me at once is that the darkening on Iapetus is the opposite way around to the rest.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 8 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #14

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

As more things are added to the saturn category at the photojournal - that link will no longer have the maps on it.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Nov 8 2014, 10:20 PM
Post #15

OK. Any other way to assemble them for comparison? (Help appreciated.) Meanwhile, grab the page while you can.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:30 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.