IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Whole Earth images, Does any satellite provide regularly updated ones?
djellison
post Apr 27 2007, 07:31 AM
Post #31

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Just to fill up this thread appropriately - from the newly released Hayabusa data smile.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post May 2 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 627

WOW..

These whole Earth images from departing and returning space craft are particulary evocative to me. I remember Apollo 8 transmissions in 1968. Could actually see the Earth receding.

Hayabusa has had quite a journey and I hope there will be a return image.

Craig

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 2 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #33

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I totally forgot to return to this thread after creating some pages on the topic. Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions. Here's the two pages I've put together so far:

Images of Earth from Geostationary Satellites
Images of Earth from Planetary Spacecraft

I still need to add the Hayabusa images, and I know Doug's got a few more pieces of eye candy in production... smile.gif

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
lyford
post May 2 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 124

Nice collection, Emily.

I keep forgetting there's a whole sidebar on the left of the Planetary Society Website to explore.... though I can't even keep up with your blog updates! smile.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
scalbers
post May 5 2007, 02:51 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 184

Yes - excellent website Emily. Nice summary of the various geostationary satellites - helps me keep track of them as I contemplate further work on high frequency global animations.

I also like the images with the Earth and moon in the same frame, we live on such a colorful and vibrant planet.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 9 2007, 07:21 AM
Post #36

Founder

The page has been updated with my Galileo efforts smile.gif

That Earth 1 flyby I've only ever seen as a tiny .mov or .mpg - so I had a hack at it - every 4th(ish) frame - at full res. Quite pleased with the results.

While doing that, I also found an Earth-Moon conjunction observation from the Earth 2 flyby that is very Cassini-esque smile.gif

The Earth 2 flyby data is, on the whole, ruined by dropouts for some reason - truely tragic as it would have been spectacular !!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 9 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #37

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Don't forget Lunar Orbiter, Surveyor and the Zonds. There are several Earth images to be found among those datasets.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post May 9 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 430

The Japanese Mars probe Nozomi also took images of Earth and Luna,
which you can see here:

http://www.stp.isas.jaxa.jp/nozomi/MIC/MIC_e.html

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post May 9 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #39

Guests

NEAR Shoemaker during the 1998 Earth swingby

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 10 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #40

Founder

I plan to do to NEAR what I've done to the Galileo E1 flyby - but I think there might be something a bit broken with NEAR MSI FITS and img2png - and I'm not even going to attempt it if I have to load each frame individually smile.gif

As with the Galileo flybys, I've only really seen them put together as a movie at low res. The reason I did the Galileo one was to see it at the full res - and I think the effort was worth it.

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post May 11 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #41

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Great Galileo work, Doug.

By the way, there are several Zond images. The USGS site has quite a few from Zond-8. Zond 7 took a color earthrise sequence. Quite a few of the frames are in my collection and all over the internet, but the color quality is poor (presumably due to poor copying, based on small samples of better copies I have seen. Here is a sequence, showing what I have been able to cobble together from multiple frames, croping out areas I couldn't generate for all images. Click on this link for a larger version.

http://www.strykfoto.org/zondrise.jpg

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 11 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 523

Wow, awesome, Ted!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 14 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #43

I see Doug's Galileo Earth rotation made APOD today, congrats! biggrin.gif

I was browsing through the rotation sequence raws myself and something struck me as interesting. There's a few frames that exhibit a bright glint-like speck somewhere above Argentina. It's visible in several different filter frames and it's not camera-related as it's fixed to Earth in subsequent frames though the glint appears to move slightly along the groundtrack. It's much brighter than the rest of the cloud structure visible so I was wondering if anyone has any theories?

It can be seen as a green-red charge bleed in this composite:

The brightness difference between the speck and the rest of the clouds is much lower here due to the processing than it is in the original frames.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 14 2007, 01:31 PM
Post #44

Founder

It's a specular reflection off a lake in Uraguay or Argentina I think - if you run through all the images you can see it very very clearly.(when I say all, I mean every image, i.e. r, ir, g, ir, v..etc etc)

Just guessing - but my initial thoughts were that rough oceans with large amplitude waves dont produce a pin sharp specular reflection from the sun. A small lake - which could be almost totally flat - would produce a sharp specular highlight.

APOD - Sweet - I had no idea ohmy.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 14 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #45

I thought about a lake specular, the specular point is in about the right location, but the area seemed to be clouded over to actually see a lake. If it's actually a lake, it's great to see how much brighter speculars on a flat surface are than oceanic specular "point". As the specular point is tighter when the surface is less rough it goes to show what a cool coincidence this turned out to be.

Imagine seeing something of the sort on Titan...

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:22 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.