Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rev 150 - Jun 29-Jul 21, 2011, Storm watching
Juramike
post Jul 12 2011, 03:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

7-frame animation of detail- and contrast-enhanced cloud tops in the North Temperate storm region seen by CB2 filter in the infrared band:

Attached Image

[animated GIF: click to animate]

Strip rolled out and mosaiced here.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 18 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Snapshot of a Titan-Tethys mutual event from July 14th. Highly contrast-enhanced view added to bring up some surface features on Tethys.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jul 20 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3908

Nice Dione-Rhea mutual event with the rings:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=240639

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 20 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #4

I don't think that's Rhea there, it's too bright and the terrain looks like Tethys so I'm gonna go with... Tethys?

Here's a snapshot with Saturn in the frame and two other small rocks visible. Prometheus and Janus/Epimetheus in the distance?

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jul 20 2011, 02:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3908

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jul 20 2011, 09:56 AM) *
I don't think that's Rhea there, it's too bright and the terrain looks like Tethys so I'm gonna go with... Tethys?

The CICLOPS "Looking ahead" page mentions a Dione-Rhea mutual event, so it should be Rhea:
"On July 18, ISS will image Dione as it passes in front of the southern half of Rhea. Dione will be 2.19 million kilometers away, while behind it Rhea will be 3.09 million kilometers from Cassini. During this transit, portions of Rhea's northern hemisphere will be obscured by Saturn's main rings."

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 20 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #6

I stand corrected. The raw histogram stretch to overexposure in some red and green frames fooled me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jul 21 2011, 04:22 AM
Post #7

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

3-frame animation of the Serpent Storm taken in MethanoVision[MT3,MT2,CB2] of observations on July 13, 14, and 17. The Cassini scientists did an awesome job lining up the camera, I barely had to adjust the coordination to create the animation.

Attached Image

[Animated GIF: click to launch animation]

You can see a little darker blue vortex that approaches from the W and gets swept up and over in the N "wall" cloud. Counter-clockwise rotation of the storm also seems apparent.

Here are the still frames lined up:
Attached Image

Full composite image for July 17, 2011: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/5960014772/
Full composite image for July 14, 2011: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/5960014418/

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
machi
post Jul 21 2011, 09:40 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 4057

Nice!
It's like if one belt of Jupiter is placed on Saturn. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
S_Walker
post Jul 21 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4979

The raw image page tells us the moon is Dione.

QUOTE (charborob @ Jul 20 2011, 09:30 AM) *
The CICLOPS "Looking ahead" page mentions a Dione-Rhea mutual event, so it should be Rhea:
"On July 18, ISS will image Dione as it passes in front of the southern half of Rhea. Dione will be 2.19 million kilometers away, while behind it Rhea will be 3.09 million kilometers from Cassini. During this transit, portions of Rhea's northern hemisphere will be obscured by Saturn's main rings."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:48 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.