Reply to this topicStart new topic
Nasa announces new rover mission to Mars in 2020
rlorenz
post May 24 2019, 12:13 AM
Post #256

Group: Members
Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Mar 31 2019, 12:33 PM) *
Hope for a success laboratory! The helicopter can fly in Titan, Venus (I don't think it is feasible for such high temperature), and what else planet or moon the MHS can fly?

I was at a talk at the Vertical Lift Society (formerly American Helicopter Society) last week, where the speaker (from Aerovironment) noted that about 60% of the MHS battery energy is expended keeping the vehicle warm overnight on Mars.

On Titan, such a small vehicle would quickly freeze, and there is very little sunlight to drive the solar panel. Dragonfly relies on the 'waste' heat from an MMRTG to stay warm, as well as its electrical power to charge the battery for flight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PhilipTerryGraha...
post May 27 2019, 07:03 PM
Post #257

Member No.: 8089

Any news on how / when the rover will be getting it's name? I haven't seen anything since the press release that PaulH51 mentioned earlier in this thread, either. I've made some vector versions of the original JPL insignia, the grey-and-white JPL insignia, and the NASA insignia for Mars 2020, if anybody's interested!

--------------------
Reddit aficionado. Creator and sole moderator of r/junomission, r/osirisrex, r/lucymission, r/psychemission, and r/hirise

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post May 27 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #258

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (PhilipTerryGraham @ May 27 2019, 11:03 AM) *
Any news on how / when the rover will be getting it's [sic] name?

Good question. The selected organization was supposed to conduct a contest during the 2019 spring academic semester and submit the top 25 names to NASA by 31 July 2019, but given that that semester is nearly over and the selected organization hasn't even been announced AFAIK, it seems like this is behind schedule.

https://nspires.nasaprs.com/external/viewre...6K%20Amend1.pdf

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 28 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #259

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

An email sent to the get info email for the solicitation returns an automated response indicating that the contest will "likely begin in the summer/fall of 2019." I don't know who was selected.

--------------------
My blog - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 1 2019, 03:30 AM
Post #260

"NASA's Mars 2020 Gets HD Eyes" -- Mastcam-Z cameras installed on the remote sensing mast: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7414

Whoever wrote this managed to not mention the company that actually built the cameras. mad.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jun 1 2019, 10:30 PM
Post #261

Member No.: 184

A few more tidbits are in this December 2018 article: http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Mars_2020...at_ASU_999.html, such as 2 megapixel resolution.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bobik
post Jun 12 2019, 11:50 AM
Post #262

Member No.: 6732

Today SuperCam leaves Toulouse for Los Angeles. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 13 2019, 03:11 PM
Post #263

QUOTE (scalbers @ Jun 1 2019, 02:30 PM) *
A few more tidbits... such as 2 megapixel resolution.

The electronics for MCZ are essentially identical to those of the MSL Mastcams, the major difference being that apart from the adjustable focal length, the optics fill the entire 1600x1200 active area of the sensor, rather than having vignetting at the corners which effectively reduces the area of the MSL Mastcams to something like 1400x1200.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 26 2019, 02:57 PM
Post #264

QUOTE (PhilipTerryGraham @ May 27 2019, 11:03 AM) *
Any news on how / when the rover will be getting it's name?

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-selects-p...st-seeks-judges

Battelle Education, of Columbus, Ohio, and Future Engineers, of Burbank, California, will collaborate with NASA on the Mars 2020 “Name the Rover” contest, which will be open to students in Fall 2019.

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2019 - 12:59 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.