IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Discussion of stray light in Juno Earth flyby images
Gerald
post Aug 27 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

This is now a first step of a somewhat sophisticated analysis of the ghosts, the success of which is to find out.
The ghosts are best feasible outside the bright Earth. So I've masked all efb12 subframes to just show the ghosts in front of dark background.
Example:
Attached Image

This is the average of all these masked subframes, constraint to the non-black pixels:
Attached Image

This average shows remnants of the source images. Most of this can be averaged away by decomposing the image in a horizontal and a vertical mean brightness function.
For averaging, the brightness values are temporarily gamma-corrected with gamma = 2, considering the square-root encoding of the raw image.
The two functions can then be composed to result in this mean ghost image:
Attached Image

This image is intended to serve as a 0th approximation of a flatfield for the ghosts.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mcaplinger
post Jan 6 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 497

Here's a dimensioned drawing of the Junocam color filter array (dimensions in mm). In looking at EFB12, I would venture to guess that a lot of the stray light features are actually interline smear from the clear areas in the CFA adjacent to the CH4 region, not all of which are occluded by the light shield. These are exacerbated by the short exposure times we had to use in EFB.

Reflections off the light shield are not very plausible, as the shield and all of the internals of the optics are bead-blasted and black anodized. The AR coatings on the glass surfaces are as good as we could obtain but certainly there are paths from the filter edges, from the CCD die, bond pads, metallization, etc.

Since the instrument is not intended to be radiometrically precise and the stray light is only especially visible off the limb, I'm not thinking this is going to be much of an issue for most applications. I'm still more concerned about band-to-band registration, for which no perfect model yet exists.

Mods: again, I suggest this material be moved to a subforum as it's unlikely to be very interesting to most.

[moderator note: A Juno subforum will probably be created soon and the Juno thread split and/or reorganized when this happens]

Attached Image

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 7 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6780

Thanks for the technical plan. This clarifies several of the observed effects, e.g. the narrow horizontal substripes in EFB03 due to the small gap between the color stripes.

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jan 7 2016, 12:11 AM) *
I'm not thinking this is going to be much of an issue for most applications.

Here a 16x enhanced crop of EFB01, probably showing the sharp ghost of our Moon:
Attached Image

Since it's TDI 1, I've been interpreting the elongated shape as reflected light rather than smear (with some uncertainty).
It seems, the light of the moon happened to hit only one (causing the sharp ghosts) of at least three areas causing ghosts.
I'm expecting this to cause issues mainly in cases, when a bright target is displaced about 18 degrees (vertically) relative to a dark target of interest, think e.g. at attempts to observe auroras, or at areas which are dark in one spectral band.
... there may be some imaging during approach and earlier on the first orbit ...

Some images similar to the Moon image during approach addressing specifically the possibly reflecting or smearing areas would certainly help calibration.

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jan 7 2016, 12:11 AM) *
I'm still more concerned about band-to-band registration, for which no perfect model yet exists.

Pinning this down to subpixel precision looked much easier to me than quantifying the fuzzy stray light and smear, so I was inclined to do the difficult things first.
But just to be sure, I'll be going to shift priorities towards image geometry, since this needs to be elaborated anyway, including the geometry of the ghosts.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Gerald   Discussion of stray light in Juno Earth flyby images   Aug 27 2015, 10:02 PM
- - Gerald   After horizontal point noise filtering of the 0th ...   Aug 28 2015, 09:35 PM
- - Gerald   Subframes 0 and 81 show the same part of Earth, wi...   Aug 29 2015, 06:12 PM
- - Gerald   An idea of the draft pinhole simulation of the geo...   Aug 31 2015, 10:41 AM
- - Gerald   It took me some time to improve the geometric dist...   Sep 2 2015, 03:21 PM
- - Gerald   12 ghost images, cropped from the raw subframes (#...   Sep 3 2015, 11:48 PM
- - Gerald   A first estimate of "how" blurred the gh...   Sep 4 2015, 08:25 PM
- - Gerald   The source of the blurred ghosts seems to be about...   Sep 6 2015, 02:17 AM
- - Gerald   Some regions of the efb images can be assumed to b...   Sep 30 2015, 10:10 PM
- - Gerald   A preliminary analysis of EFB03 hints towards the ...   Oct 9 2015, 03:19 AM
- - Gerald   A fist step towards an empirical description of th...   Oct 24 2015, 12:14 PM
- - Gerald   Evaluating a simple function at a small number of ...   Dec 22 2015, 01:52 PM
- - Gerald   This graphics visualizes some properties of a fami...   Dec 24 2015, 09:04 PM
- - Gerald   Possible physical root cause for sharp ghosts in J...   Dec 29 2015, 06:12 PM
- - Gerald   Some more explanations regarding the above article...   Jan 4 2016, 06:14 PM
|- - mcaplinger   QUOTE (Gerald @ Jan 4 2016, 10:14 AM) As ...   Jan 4 2016, 07:20 PM
- - Gerald   Thanks a lot, that's helpful information. Prov...   Jan 5 2016, 01:24 PM
|- - mcaplinger   QUOTE (Gerald @ Jan 5 2016, 05:24 AM) a d...   Jan 5 2016, 04:27 PM
- - Gerald   Thanks, great! Good to know, that the ray trac...   Jan 5 2016, 06:35 PM
- - mcaplinger   Here's a dimensioned drawing of the Junocam co...   Jan 6 2016, 11:11 PM
- - Gerald   Thanks for the technical plan. This clarifies seve...   Jan 7 2016, 01:50 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.