Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Mar 15 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #242

Group: Members
Member No.: 181

QUOTE (Dilo @ March 13 2006, 05:51 PM)
I do not see the feature you highlighted and I wonder about Crystal selection window... are colors associated to some kind of simulation you ran?

The brighening is somewhat subtle, and easier to see if the unannotated and annotated images are compared side by side.

The colors are from a simulation for some potential martian ice halo's (CO2 and H2O). (See: Halo Sim). Les and Michael were kind enough several years back to share their CO2 crystal files with me for a few projects I was working on at the time. As I was hurrying yesterday, the crystal settings are actually the same as used for Les' image posted here: Martian Halos.

With respect the the brightening, I don't think a diffinitive answer can be made, as the brightening I noted could also be an optically denser patch of cirrus. More cirrostratus-like clouds would be better at presenting halos in nonmultispectral imagery (see: FIDO: 20020812164623_nav for example).

Lastly, and again aganst these brightening being caused by any refractive phenomena, the brightenings that corresponded with the halo simulation were associated with CO2 cuboctahedron ice crystals, not haxagonal water ice cyrstals. My understanding is that these are water ice clouds. Any MiniTes measurements to the contrary?

Longwinded (making up for yesterday smile.gif ), but I hope that helps.

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
dilo
post Mar 15 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #243

Member No.: 150

Thank you very much, Pertinax... I completely missed the Mars halos item, now I'm delighted and amazed by this argument!
I like very much also the site you linked (my preferred pages are this and this one).
About your possible identification of "CO2 cuboctahedron ice crystals" halo, however, I hardly see it... from a strongly processed version of this image (where I removed very low frequency components) my impression is that you catched a cirrus, at least in the right portion...
Attached Image

PS: based on this simulations, in the top-left image portion, shouldn't we see also some CO2 parhelia?

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Mar 15 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #244

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Mar 15 2006, 08:27 AM) *
Bye bye Erebus rolleyes.gif

You meant to say "Good riddance Erebus!" mad.gif

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Mar 21 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #245

Member No.: 353

A last look at layers of Erebus.

Mosaic made on Sol 758 with the R1 pancam.

jvandriel
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Mar 21 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #246

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (dilo @ Mar 15 2006, 04:27 PM) *
Thank you very much, Pertinax... I completely missed the Mars halos item, now I'm delighted and amazed by this argument!

<snip>

About your possible identification of "CO2 cuboctahedron ice crystals" halo, however, I hardly see it... from a strongly processed version of this image (where I removed very low frequency components) my impression is that you catched a cirrus[.]

PS: based on this simulations, in the top-left image portion, shouldn't we see also some CO2 parhelia?

Sorry for the much delayed reply -- much of the family including myself were home sick last the second half of last week, and yesterday I was catching up at work.

Concerning the image in question, I agree. The more and more I look at the cirrus, the less and less I think that there are any discernable halos. I'll be keeing my eyes particularly open when Oppy has her eyes up. smile.gif

For fun, I'll include another version of the image I poseted earlier. This 1) accepts the horizon as essentially correct (the simulation's horizon assumes an infinate, flat plane), 2) shows a bit more boldly the full possibility of potential halos for this view, and 3) shows the simulation's settings.

Attached Image

Enjoy for what it's worth.

QUOTE (dilo @ Mar 15 2006, 04:27 PM) *
I like very much also the site you linked (my preferred pages are this and this one).

Les' site on Atmospheric Optics is second to none.

The 11Jan99 South Pole halo display is one of the greatest and best documented displays recorded. For better or worse, I had just missed (was first alternate) being at the pole as Meteorologist for the '98/'99 Austral Summer.

The Saturn image was one of the projects that Les assisted me with. I have larger copies if you are interested.

Cheers,

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 15 16 17
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.