Apophis Tracking Mission
tty
post Feb 16 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 273

QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 18 2007, 06:00 AM) *
an atmospheric graze would be fine

I'd rather not. It could break up and some of the pieces might impact. It might even go bang like the Tunguska body though that's unlikely (probably not enough volatiles). Also the IR radiation from an atmospheric graze is fierce. A small body like Apophis would not be too bad, but a graze from a kilometer-size object can incinerate half a continent.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thu
post Sep 1 2007, 04:46 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1164

Finally, I'm done!

Just submitted the Apophis mission proposal to The Planetary Society. Anybody has an interest can see my proposal from here http://rapidshare.com/files/52591111/Apoph...rsion_.pdf.html

Wish me luck rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 1 2007, 05:47 AM
Post #18

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Congrats on your proposal, Thu! smile.gif Unfortunately, I got kind of lost in the pay-me portion of your document hosting service; can you perhaps post a more direct link?

TTY: Do you have any data for the IR effects of a graze? I and many others experienced a very small one (many, many orders of magnitude smaller than Apophis) on Aug 10, 1972. There was no detectable heat, but one hell of a double sonic boom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBu-yUzWXqg

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 1 2007, 07:37 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (Thu @ Sep 1 2007, 06:46 AM) *
Finally, I'm done!

Just submitted the Apophis mission proposal to The Planetary Society. Anybody has an interest can see my proposal from here http://rapidshare.com/files/52591111/Apoph...rsion_.pdf.html

Wish me luck rolleyes.gif

Great job! I had seen other proposals, but yours until now is the most complete and professional-looking!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 1 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #20

Merciless Robot

Sorry, Thu; I was stuck in stupid mode all day yesterday. Got it downloaded, and it does indeed look terrific; you certainly did your research, and it's incredibly detailed. I hope that your proposal wins, you deserve it!!! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 1 2007, 02:35 PM
Post #21

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

tty said: "Also the IR radiation from an atmospheric graze is fierce. A small body like Apophis would not be too bad, but a graze from a kilometer-size object can incinerate half a continent."

Can you put any numbers to that? I would think that the flyby would be brief enough that the problem is less severe than you suggest, but the numbers could prove me wrong (as usually happens).

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tty
post Sep 1 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 273

QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 1 2007, 07:47 AM) *
TTY: Do you have any data for the IR effects of a graze?

www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/impact2000/pdf/3103.pdf

You have to consider that the stagnation temperature for a typical meteorite is actually higher than the the surface of the Sun. Try to visualize a bit of the sun about a kilometer across passing maybe 50 km overhead and staying in sight for perhaps 20 seconds....

+Quote Post
Thu
post Sep 4 2007, 03:52 AM
Post #23

Thank you nprev and Paolo for your praise. Initially I planned to design a very simple but a little "dumb" s/c that would carry a lot of chaff (as those used in many fighter aircrafts) and spray over Apophis. That would effectively "paint" the asteroid with radar reflecting material and make it more detectable with radar. But later with more research, this approach turned out to be totally wrong but I still kept the idea of designing the s/c small and simple, but not too dumb like before tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 5 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 542

Thu, I enjoyed reading your proposal, which seems full of sensible ideas. Having made a small contribution to the Planetary Society's prize fund I am very interested in the progress of the project. I haven't heard much about how it's going so far. Perhaps Emily can tell us how many submissions have been received to date?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 5 2007, 01:48 PM
Post #25

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (Thu @ Sep 3 2007, 08:52 PM) *
Initially I planned to design a very simple but a little "dump" s/c that would carry a lot of chaff (as those used in many fighter aircrafts) and spray over Apophis. That would effectively "paint" the asteroid with radar reflecting material and make it more detectable with radar.

Interesting idea, but you're right. Not only would that have been horrendously complex in terms of mechanics, but just getting stuff to stick on Apophis would be a major challenge...

Your ranging technique is sound. Thinking in terms of passive backups here (like those that might be desirable in the event of premature EOM), what if the vehicle bus was designed for the best possible radar reflectivity? I doubt if this could add enough to do better ground-based reads during periapsis passes (your LIDAR data was sobering indeed), but perhaps it's still worth a quick thought; maybe it would!

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 5 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #26

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (ngunn @ Sep 5 2007, 05:33 AM) *
Perhaps Emily can tell us how many submissions have been received to date?
I'm afraid I don't know the number any more exactly than "quite a few." I'll probably be the one posting the next project update, though, so I'll make sure to mention it here when that happens.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 5 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 542

That would be great, thanks Emily. I'm glad quite a few people have risen to the challenge and I look forward to reading the update.

+Quote Post
Thu
post Sep 12 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 5 2007, 08:48 PM) *
Thinking in terms of passive backups here (like those that might be desirable in the event of premature EOM), what if the vehicle bus was designed for the best possible radar reflectivity? I doubt if this could add enough to do better ground-based reads during periapsis passes (your LIDAR data was sobering indeed), but perhaps it's still worth a quick thought; maybe it would!

@nprev, since the idea is only good for periapsis passes which unfortunately happen only once in Jan-2013 during the period till 2017 mentioned in the mission design competition rules.

However, looking further I agree that this is a good idea and it worths a more detailed analysis if we are to send a s/c to Apophis.

+Quote Post
Thu
post Dec 23 2007, 04:34 AM
Post #29

A quick update for anybody interested in the Apophis mission design competition by TPS, the judging is going to be a little longer and the current plan calls for an announcement in January 2008. More detail here http://planetarydefense.blogspot.com/2007/...-planetary.html

By the way, based on my proposal Brian Jones from London, UK had made a beautiful animation of the ART s/c mission to Apophis which I uploaded to YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLp3JtrbJsM
May be next time I'll ask for his cooperation in visualizing space missions smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 24 2007, 01:34 AM
Post #30

Merciless Robot

Great video, Thu!!! smile.gif You're rapidly becoming the center of a small-business version of NASA...keep up the terrific work! Will you also submit this vid as part of your proposal package to TPS? I would; it's most compelling.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:33 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.