IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
HiWish, Our suggestions for HiRISE images of Mars!
DataMiner
post Mar 4 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 1587

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 4 2010, 01:50 PM) *
Ooo - does that put that color section inbetween my proposed target, and the previous ones straight over the columbia hills and Spirit's current location? We could end up with most of the traverse being documented in color, which would be very nice (and sort of a sensible thing to do anyway I would have thought)

Opportunity did us a favour by driving south, down HiRISE CCD paths.

Thanks for the details - I'm sure the selecting planning and sequencing is more complex than I'm imagining it. Keep us posted!

Yeah, the color swath on this one is right over columbia hills and home plate, although I don't think there is much, if any *new* color coverage, since this observation is part of a monitoring project. Just so you know, this observation will most likely be released the first week of April. We still need some time to validate it, and there's also a big data gap in one of the red ccd's that *might* still get filled in (although I think it is unlikely at this point).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Apr 8 2010, 08:53 AM
Post #17

Guests

I ran across a website from our local TV Station Channel 5 here in Seattle where the public can decide
what HiRise will photograph next.

Here is the King 5 article site: http://www.king5.com/news/slideshows/New-p...c=y&ref=%2F

and here is the site where we can decide what Hirise should take pictures of next: http://www.uahirise.org/hiwish/

I might suggest HiRise take pictures of Endeavor Crater and the area Opportunity will drive to get there?

Merged with existing HiWish thread - Mod

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 8 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #18

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Bobby @ Apr 8 2010, 09:53 AM) *
I might suggest HiRise take pictures of Endeavor Crater and the area Opportunity will drive to get there?

Did it not occur to you that they might already have imaged those areas?

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Sep 5 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 7310

Through one of my latest granted HiWishes I recently learnt how remarkably unremarkable remarkable things in CTX images might look in HiRISE images.

This what the target looked like in CTX observation F03_036888_2278_XN_47N098W:

Attached Image

It more or less looked like a ridge that had (or consisted of) spines of some sort (and it looked liked the narrow shadows behind the ridge confirmed it; although in hindsight, maybe they have improper orientations).

This is what the ridge looks in the HiRISE observation:

Attached Image

Not remarkable at all, and I basically got cheated by Mars. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Jul 15 2018, 10:58 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 6842

My still open HiWish laugh.gif

Attached Image

I really want to know what that feature looks like in high-rez and under different sun angles.

Cydonian sphinx, move over. ninja.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam Hurcewicz
post Jul 15 2018, 11:47 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 5205

QUOTE (wildespace @ Jul 15 2018, 11:58 AM) *
My still open HiWish laugh.gif

Attached Image

I really want to know what that feature looks like in high-rez and under different sun angles.

Cydonian sphinx, move over. ninja.gif

Wow! Where is it on Mars? Any other images are?

--------------------
Adam Hurcewicz from Poland

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Jul 15 2018, 02:05 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 6842

QUOTE (Adam Hurcewicz @ Jul 15 2018, 12:47 PM) *
Wow! Where is it on Mars? Any other images are?

6.712°, 92.713°E
https://www.uahirise.org/hiwish/view/153460

There's only one CTX image covering that feature (at least that I'm aware of): http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst...07N267W&T=2

Attached Image

P.S. don't forget to check out the "exlamation mark" nearby: https://www.uahirise.org/ESP_020794_1860

--------------------

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Sep 14 2018, 05:33 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 4338

Have any science images been taken of the night side of Mars? According to this link

https://www.universetoday.com/96576/hirise-...escent-to-mars/

images of the night side were taken in preparation for imaging the Curiosity descent, but they were dumped and not returned to Earth. Night images may have been taken for calibration purposes but I'm not sure if they were returned.

Imaging the night side might seem like a waste of time but surprises do happen. Perhaps Aurora phenomena or meteor trails might be seen, or even hotspots, if the imager is sensitive to infrared.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:04 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.