49 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
New Horizons Pluto System Final Approach, 28 Jun-13 Jul 15
Explorer1
post Jun 30 2015, 12:28 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Still too early to tell (17 million km to go!). If these images were coming out in a newspaper, I would not be taking a magnifying glass to them and exclaiming that Pluto is made of tiny coloured dots!

Two weeks left....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jgoldader
post Jun 30 2015, 12:39 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 3662

QUOTE (Daniele_bianchino_Italy @ Jun 29 2015, 08:12 PM) *
Probably-stupid question, There are possibly that the Black Long feature are a metane or azote liquid lake?

Too cold, I think. Wolfram says methane's freezing point is around 90K and Pluto's colder than that. At least, it is today. But the bright and dark regions on the latest Pluto images reminded me of the bright highland and dark lowland regions (probably wrong nomenclature) on Titan. If we see something like that on Pluto, that would be very interesting indeed.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 30 2015, 12:41 AM
Post #33

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Daniele, I don't think that it's possible for those to be methane lakes since Pluto's atmospheric pressure is far, far lower than even that of Mars; around three micro(not milli-)bars per this NASA fact sheet.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jun 30 2015, 02:59 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 114

I remember a day when triton was theorized to have lakes of methane.

Ciao!

+Quote Post
eliBonora
post Jun 30 2015, 03:21 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 7348

One stack of yesterday images (full 400%)
I cannot wait to focus on these features!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jun 30 2015, 03:22 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 3995

The dark features may be more akin to those visible on Triton:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA00329

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jun 30 2015, 03:39 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 5458

Well, I was hopeful that all of the June 29 images could be stacked but I think there is actually enough movement that it degraded the quality too much for my liking.

Single frame on left, blink animation on right

June 28, 2015 - 2 images
Attached Image
Attached Image

Charon is absent in one of the images and so I simply excluded it.

June 29, 2015 - 04:56 UTC - 2 images
Attached Image
Attached Image

June 29, 2015 - 05:02 UTC - 2 images

Attached Image
Attached Image

June 29, 2015 - 05:03 UTC - 1 image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Keep in mind these are all limited data stacks so noise is likely to be apparent and different features are also likely to pop in and out of visibility.

--------------------

+Quote Post
alk3997
post Jun 30 2015, 03:52 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 7390

I thought I would see if I could tease some information out of the dark areas using a single image of Pluto/Charon. The original is the 6/29/15 at 05:03:10 UTC 1:1 bin image released today.

Attached Image

No stacking on this one. The only processing was a 4x enlargement followed by contrast/brightness/midtone enhancements.

If anyone would like to speculate about clouds the wispy area near Pluto's dark band certainly could be a starting point or it could be ice. Charon's anti-dark pole almost looks like it has some relief showing.

Anyway, just an attempt to find more information from the data (that will hopefully be obsolete within a week).

When we get images this quickly from New Horizons, it very much reminds me of watching Dr. Albert Hibbs and his guests at JPL explain Voyager images as they appeared on the monitors in real time during the Saturn/Uranus/Neptune encounters.

Andy

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 30 2015, 04:30 AM
Post #39

QUOTE (alk3997 @ Jun 29 2015, 08:52 PM) *
When we get images this quickly from New Horizons, it very much reminds me of watching Dr. Albert Hibbs and his guests at JPL explain Voyager images as they appeared on the monitors in real time during the Saturn/Uranus/Neptune encounters.

Andy

Will there be anything like that during the NASA TV coverage during the week of the flyby (i.e. seeing mission control)? I've read Emily's blog post but it seems like it will be a combination of press conferences and hammering refresh on the raw images page, not that that's a bad thing.... wink.gif
(Speaking of which, some dedicated Hydra targeting has started: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/Pluto-Encounter/index.php )

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 30 2015, 04:45 AM
Post #40

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Refer to the first post of this thread, and esp. to Emily's article about planned activities. The data rate from Pluto's distance is nowhere near as high as it is during a Jupiter encounter (1kb/sec vs. something like 38 kb/sec), so we're likely gonna see just a few images with a good deal of time between them on encounter day. Per Emily's article again, only 1% of the acquired science data will be returned then.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 30 2015, 04:54 AM
Post #41

Yep, I know how slow it will go considering how thin the data-pipe is over these distances. Just wondering about the coverage itself, beyond the critical 'beep' on the 14, all the live reactions from MC (which I'm such a sucker for!)

Also: SOFIA's observations got some good data: http://www.sofia.usra.edu/News/news_2015/06_29_15/index.html

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jun 30 2015, 05:05 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 5458

Best I can do with the June 29 data. I think temporal blurring is subtle but likely problematic at the same time, even at this distance.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fred_76
post Jun 30 2015, 07:26 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 7518

Nix and Hydra the 29/06/2015 in the bin x1 images :

Attached Image

Close up on Pluto and Charon :

Attached Image

It seems there is a huge impact crater on Pluto...

Fred

--------------------
Astronopithecus normandimensis nephophobis

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 30 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #44

We can't be seeing a crater shadow yet; NH is still at a tiny solar incidence angle until nearly closest approach; it's 'only' a dark patch (see the previous thread, with Bjorn's illustration).

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jun 30 2015, 08:55 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 7310

QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Jun 30 2015, 05:22 AM) *
The dark features may be more akin to those visible on Triton:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA00329

In those images, the dark band near Triton's equator looks a lot like the dark bands near Pluto's equator; though it appears to be somewhat brighter on Triton.

QUOTE (fred_76 @ Jun 30 2015, 09:26 AM) *
It seems there is a huge impact crater on Pluto...

In rotation videos, the shape looks wrong; too oblong.

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jun 30 2015, 09:57 AM) *
We can't be seeing a crater shadow yet

It could though be possible to see different surface composition due to altitude - i.e. like mountains on Earth may have a white snow cover.

--------------------

+Quote Post

49 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:07 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.