14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL EDL Hardware, Its state & fate
john_s
post Aug 7 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

I seem to remember there was some concern that Opportunity's camera optics got contaminated during its visit to the heatshield, so they might be more careful with Curiosity.

John
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dmg
post Aug 7 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 2392

QUOTE (gallen_53 @ Aug 7 2012, 04:39 PM) *
I'm hoping they will give the aeroshell a look. They gave the aeroshell wreckage a close look with MER-B.

If I heard correctly today in the press conference they indicated that they would NOT approach any of the jettisoned items. Of course, everything is always open to change by the project. I'm absolutely certain though that they would not approach anywhere near the descent stage (skycrane) wreckage. DG

+Quote Post
NickF
post Aug 7 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 4589

Are those three dark splodges in the crater NW of the SkyCrane impact site likely to be pieces thereof?

--------------------
Protein structures and Mars fun - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nick960/

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Aug 8 2012, 12:04 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (NickF @ Aug 7 2012, 05:56 PM) *
Are those three dark splodges in the crater NW of the SkyCrane impact site likely to be pieces thereof?

That's my interpretation. There's actually a smaller object with four bounces south of there as well:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Aug 8 2012, 12:08 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 3988

I'm not sure if this was discussed, I apologize if it has. There is a very obvious impact in the lower left if this image that I have highlighted with a box. I was thinking either from one of the masses or something that shot very far from the decent stage impact. Any idea's?

Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 8 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #36

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Please post all comments regarding the ancillary hardware associated with the landing of Curiosity here; thanks!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 8 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 5221

James: if it is one of the ballast masses it's way out of place; those should all be downrange (east, towards Mt. Sharp). Looks too fresh and low-angle to be a tiny natural impact. Maybe worth examining with better Hirise imagery later?

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Aug 8 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #38

Okay thanks Explorer1. The dark ejecta from that feature, seem's to line up with the skycrane impact, like it came from that general location. But you're right. smile.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 8 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Aug 8 2012, 12:08 AM) *
There is a very obvious impact in the lower left if this image that I have highlighted with a box.
Good eye! It's not on GM, so it's part of MSL. The angle of spray appears to be towards the SW, lined up almost perfectly with the DS impact point. Wow, could that be a stray piece of the descent stage? It's several hundred metres from the DS!

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Aug 8 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 82

QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 8 2012, 01:35 AM) *
Good eye! It's not on GM, so it's part of MSL. The angle of spray appears to be towards the SW, lined up almost perfectly with the DS impact point. Wow, could that be a stray piece of the descent stage? It's several hundred metres from the DS!

If the DS exploded on impact with the Mars surface, could a stray fragment from the explosion be hurled this far? A hydrazine explosion might also explain the "dust cloud" we see in the rear hazcam images.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 8 2012, 12:46 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 152

Here are a couple more little dark splotches, that aren't on the old hirise imagery (GM):
Attached Image

Not as far afield as James's piece, though. I'm sure we'd see more with the full res hirise.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 8 2012, 12:48 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 5221

Yes, there's something to be said for a complicated EDL with lots of 'space junk'; it sure makes the slow early days of landing go by faster.
The question of visiting any of these things up-close, even the non-hazardous debris, is still really far off though, we should keep in mind.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 8 2012, 01:23 AM
Post #43

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I'm glad I didn't have time to write up that HiRISE image today. You guys are finding all kinds of goodies smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Aug 8 2012, 01:27 AM
Post #44

WOW!! GM showes a rough distance of 2,300 feet

Okay correction...2,700 Feet!!!!

Nevermind tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Aug 8 2012, 01:32 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 15

Methinks if we ever use a skycrane type of landing again, we're going to have to program a little more smarts into the descent stage and have it either fly farther away or try to kill its velocity before it crashes. I shudder to think of what might have happened had one of those fragments of descent stage come back and whanged the rover real good...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:52 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.