IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Run For The Hills!, The flight to Winter Quarters...
sattrackpro
post Feb 28 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 527

It seems it might be time to start a post about the run to the hills... there are few days left to get Spirit to a winter-friendly spot somewhere up there - with all those tempting spots that we ~might~ be able to stop by on the way. That is - if we don't dally too long at each! smile.gif

A discussion of what the best spot would be, and why it would be the best spot seems in order - along with what the best targets on the way would be interesting.

I'm looking forward to the possibility that we'll have a chance to see several outcrops that appear to have layers, maybe similar in some respects to HP. Or will they be?

I'm also looking forward to the possibility that we might get a look from the top of these hills, off to the South as winter ends, before we descend from the hills and head to the "Promised Land."

Later I'll post some snips of locations I'm hoping to see up-close... thought I'd get it done on posting - but, just had an 'emergency' that demands quick departure! sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Feb 28 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

I think I'll be the first to use this new thread... smile.gif

Sol 766 drive images are available at the exploratorium: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/navcam/2006-02-28/
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

And the answer to the drive-direction is "clockwise". My guess is Spirit will NOT complete the circle but simply head to McCool hill.

Was there a song from Iron Maiden: "Run to the hills, run for you life" ?

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 28 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Here's some views from Sol 766 (I'd set it to "On the Run" by Pink Floyd, maybe):

Here are the Pancam drive direction images in context (Tesheiner you can correct me if I'm wrong and they aren't drive direction images, as I didn't actually check the tracking database, but it seems like a pretty safe bet):

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Feb 28 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 105

The Winter Retreat to a favorable slope is not necessarily a bad thing. There are several exposures on McCool Hill which might be related to HP and would be good to examine. In order to decipher HP we need to look at the lateral extent of the HP deposits. I wish we had the time to have stopped at the light-toned layered outcrop on the hill just south of Ultreya-ElDorado Basin: that may have been part of the HP Formation. And from atop McCool Hill we can get another set of Pancams from a different perspective.

I'm thinking move northeastward the north-facing slope of McCool Hill, work that slope during the Winter, moving southward along McH later in Winter and work down the western slope of McH, returning to HP in the Spring for followup observations. Over the Summer drive toward the Promised Land locality

I'll work up a map later tonight when I get home.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Feb 28 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 678

Winter will come around the month of May or April?
But, at the date of the passage from Autumn to Winter, the Sun will be at the nearest point to the horizon.
So Spirit need to run now if the engineer want to keep the rover in a good state of electric power, 'cause the Sun is now near of the south horizon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ToSeek
post Feb 28 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 74

"Now run away before I taunt you a second time!"

+Quote Post
helvick
post Feb 28 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #7

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Feb 28 2006, 06:04 PM) *
Winter will come around the month of May or April?

Southern Hemisphere mid winter on Mars happens on Spirit Sol 924 which is the 8th of August. The date of minimal insolation actually happens 11 or 12 sols earlier around Sol 912 (27 August).

The effects of mars orbital eccentricity and latitude mean that Opportunity's minimim insolation date is around a week earlier on Opportunity Sol 884\885 (20 August).

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Feb 28 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (ToSeek @ Feb 28 2006, 06:21 PM) *
"Now run away before I taunt you a second time!"

"Let us leave Home Plate; it is a Silly Place!"

Bob 'Ni' Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 28 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #9

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (mhoward @ Feb 28 2006, 09:55 AM) *
Here's some views from Sol 766 (I'd set it to "On the Run" by Pink Floyd, maybe):

I heartily concur with the soundtrack choice! smile.gif

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Feb 28 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 28 2006, 08:08 PM) *
I heartily concur with the soundtrack choice! smile.gif

Yeah, Pink Floyd's music is well-suited to planetary exploration. As I recall, the Galileo team played some tracks from Dark Side of the Moon during the two Earth/Moon flybys.

And I once saw an animation of a Mars airplane concept with "Learning to Fly" played in the background. It was pretty cool.

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post Feb 28 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 471

And I once saw an animation of a Mars airplane concept with "Learning to Fly" played in the background. It was pretty cool.

By Tom Petty, or?

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Feb 28 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (SigurRosFan @ Feb 28 2006, 08:39 PM) *
By Tom Petty, or?

Pink Floyd.

+Quote Post
imipak
post Feb 28 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 617

QUOTE (mhoward @ Feb 28 2006, 05:55 PM) *

Great images (and the new technique looks really nice!)

The voice in 'On The Run' says "live for today - no tomorrow!" which is a touch nihilistic for me (though the paranoid electronic throbbing is about right!) OTOH... 'Run' by New Order? "Well what's the use in complaining / When you've got what you don't need?" ...'cos I bet it's a bit more than 7x more disk space that's been filled with Mars images than would have been the case if the rover'd died when expected. I keep reminding myself to be grateful even when the Exploratorium is down.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Feb 28 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 223

QUOTE (mhoward @ Feb 28 2006, 06:55 PM) *

Here are the Pancam drive direction images in context (Tesheiner you can correct me if I'm wrong and they aren't drive direction images, as I didn't actually check the tracking database, but it seems like a pretty safe bet):

Micheal, your great panorama work is getting better and better !
I like your images especially for the more "dynamic look" of your projection techique
compared to the usual autostitch-look wink.gif
And with your new vignetting reduction, it's even better ... great stuff smile.gif

+Quote Post
odave
post Feb 28 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (imipak @ Feb 28 2006, 04:23 PM) *
The voice in 'On The Run' says "live for today - no tomorrow!"

If we want to stick with Floyd, there's "Run Like Hell", but I wouldn't want to see Spirit sent back to Steve in a cardboard box. wink.gif

How about Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream":

Yeah running down a dream
That never would come to me
Working on a mystery
Going wherever it leads
Running down a dream

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.