IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Whole Earth images, Does any satellite provide regularly updated ones?
scalbers
post Dec 21 2009, 12:32 AM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 20 2009, 11:16 PM) *
Does anybody have any brilliant ideas on how to find out what was happening in terms of weather on December 8, 1992? The animation appears to cover the Pacific Ocean, Australia, and Asia, finishing with eastern Africa on the terminator.

Emily - we might be able to correlate with these views for the 16th. I can key on the storm over Australia in both images.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/gibbs/html/GMS-4/IR/1992-12-16-21

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/gibbs/html/GMS-4/VS/1992-12-16-21

Other times and satellites can be selected here:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/gibbs/availability/1992-12-16

It's fun though difficult to try and see cloud motions in the Galileo animations.

As a side note I'm considering trying to make simulated real-time global visible satellite images that should give much the appearance of the Galileo animations using Science On A Sphere. These would have the terminator and night-time lights added for some sort of realism.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lightning
post Dec 21 2009, 01:02 AM
Post #122

Member No.: 4867

I just wonder which is the first image of the "full" disk of Earth ? Should it be an image taken by Luna 1 or Pioneer 4 ?
It's hard to find full data of those spacecrafts to check that, but maybe you may know... smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 21 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #123

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Good question. Definitely not any of the early Lunas, and IIRC none of the Pioneers before P10 even had cameras. I'd actually bet that it was one of the Lunar Orbiters (LO3?)

EDIT: No, wait a minute: Might have been TIROS 1. Will check it out.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Lightning
post Dec 21 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #124

Apparently, it's before Lunar Orbiter 1:

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/html/obj...1_h102_123.html

I quote: "This is the first good image of the Earth taken from the vicinity of the Moon, 380,000 km away."

For me, "good" means that there were bad pictures earlier.

+Quote Post
Lightning
post Dec 21 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #125

And this can not be TIROS 1, as its apogee is only 756km. I even think that the first geostationnary satellites may not be the first to take that picture, as very elliptical orbits (reached before GEO) can allow observing the entire earth.

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Dec 21 2009, 04:53 AM
Post #126

Member No.: 10

which is the first image of the "full" disk of Earth ?

The first crude B&W television image of the Earth as a disk was made by a Soviet weather satellite on May 30, 1966. The first crude color image of Earth as a disk was made by the Department Of Defense Gravity Experiment satellite (DODGE) operating between July and November 1967

http://www.donaldedavis.com/2003NEW/NEWSTUFF/DDEARTH.html

+Quote Post
Lightning
post Dec 21 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #127

Great, thanks for all those information !

But do you have any idea of the identity of that "Soviet weather satellite" ? Because I have controversal sources. According that page, Kosmoss 122 is the first soviet weather satellite and has been launched... the 25th June 1966 (after your image snap date).
But according to the ESA page here, the first soviet weather satellite is Kosmos 144, launched in Feb. 1967. huh.gif

Other sources have more fuzzy descriptions of Kosmos 122, such as here, describing it as the first soviet weather satellite of the Meteor class (as a prototype).

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Dec 21 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (scalbers @ Dec 21 2009, 01:32 AM) *
Emily - we might be able to correlate with these views for the 16th. I can key on the storm over Australia in both images.

Wow, I didn't realize you could go back and look at the weather this far back. Thanks, Steve. Nice to see the weather matching up between the two sources. wink.gif

A fun fact - Galileo was 6.15 million km from Earth at the start of the sequence and that increased to 6.58 million km at the end. At that distance, the Moon is just 6% closer in so the relative sizes of the two bodies are preserved fairly well. Also, during those 13.5 hours Galileo actually covered more than one lunar distance. Sure doesn't look so in telescopic imagery, does it?

EDIT: Using Steve's link above, these two observations were near-simultaneous (to the minute), they indeed match the clouds right down to the terminator line.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Dec 22 2009, 02:38 AM
Post #129

Member No.: 503

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 21 2009, 12:16 AM) *
Does anybody have any brilliant ideas on how to find out what was happening in terms of weather on December 8, 1992? The animation appears to cover the Pacific Ocean, Australia, and Asia, finishing with eastern Africa on the terminator.

I don't have any "brilliant ideas". But here are a couple of comments and links that might prove useful:

The first link shows winds at 500, 700, and 850 mb, along with the surface analysis for 8 Dec 1992.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1992/us1208.php

Unfortunately, these maps only cover the continental US. But notice the trough on the west coast. That accounts for the clouds visible in western North America. And interestingly, resulted in storms that produced 5 inches of rain in Los Angeles, and over two feet of snow in the Sierras.

This PDF link to the Weekly Weather and Crop Bulletin for the week of 6-12 December 1992 shows the resulting weather (primarily focused on precipitation) in the US and elsewhere around the world. But it is weekly summaries, rather than detailed weather for 8 Dec 1992.

http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/waob/...-12-15-1992.pdf

Probably not of much use. But Emily's question piqued my interest. And yes, Gordan, the animation is fantastic! Thanks again for your great work here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 2 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #130

Here's another Earth animation, this one a Deep Impact a.k.a. EPOXI HRI sequence taken March 18/19 2008 from cca. 27 million km. The images are blurry, I deconvolved them but that introduced ringing artifacts. A special thanks to Sean Walker for pointing me to MaxIm DL 5 I used for deconvolution. I used the supplied PSF for the imager on the data volumes. Here's a comparison of a source image and deconvolved one (click):

The sequence consists of 97 frames taken every 15 minutes and spanning one whole day. For some reason a couple of frames wouldn't converge in deconvolution, these are noticeable as blurred frames. Also, the calibrated data apparently had a line of noisy/hot pixels running near the center of detector, deconvolution made it worse and Earth's terminator is artifacted in some frames, notably at the beginning.

The animated gif (5 megabytes) can be found here.

The first and last frames are exactly 1 day apart, here's a flicker gif showing cloud evolution in the Pacific. Corresponding satellite imagery (GOES 11): March 18 and March 19. Even though there are ringing artifacts due to deconvolution, more of the smaller cloud details than I anticipated are actually real, as illustrated here.

While the Galileo animation was taken near winter solstice, this was taken very close to spring equinox and illustrates a difference in illumination - both sequences have the sun to the right, but Earth spins differently.

EDIT: fixed the few exceedingly blurry frames in the animation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jan 2 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 184

Gordan, pretty impressive results for the deconvolution as I could see some of the cloud features in your comparison. I suppose having the PSF helped, as well as maybe high bit resolution in the dataset. Nice to have the animation span an entire day as I can see all the continents coming into view.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 2 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #132

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Make me wonder just what the genius of people like Damian Peach et.al. could do if we all lived on Mars, and Earth was just an astronomical target through 12" telescopes. I think it would be quite a lot like that image sequence. Awesome work!

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 2 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #133

Steve, yes, this observation is at a significantly larger pixel scale than the Moon transit sequence from May 2008. Every bit helps.

Doug, without a doubt, to anyone living on Mars Earth would be competing with Jupiter as the most photogenic object out there!

--------------------

+Quote Post
nilstycho
post Jan 20 2010, 04:52 AM
Post #134

Member No.: 3912

QUOTE (Lightning @ Dec 20 2009, 05:20 PM) *
Apparently, it's before Lunar Orbiter 1:

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/html/obj...1_h102_123.html

I quote: "This is the first good image of the Earth taken from the vicinity of the Moon, 380,000 km away."

For me, "good" means that there were bad pictures earlier.

This image has been cleaned up by LOIRP, and can be viewed here.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 20 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #135

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I don't think that is from LOIRP, but it is a nice image.

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.