Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 28 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Yeah, I'm kind of pumped about it! smile.gif Just out of curiosity, is ESA considering follow-on versions that might conceivably be crew-rated? (Guess that the Ariane V would also have to achieve this as well).

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 28 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #3

Guests

Didn't hear (yet) about any crew-rated versions wink.gif
http://www.esa.int/esaMI/ATV/ESAE021VMOC_0.html

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 28 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

You know somebody's gotta be thinking about it, though. Hopefully after they get a few flights under their belt, they'll press on with the idea.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the fact that the ISS will have to rely solely on Soyuz for a substantial period until Orion is available (I just hate single-point vulnerabilities, is all). Jules Verne is clearly much closer to becoming a crew-rated vehicle, plus I'd love to see ESA take the plunge into manned spaceflight.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Feb 29 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

I remember reading somewhere that ESA had considered it but decided to try to cooperate with the russians instead of building a spacecraft of their own. I'm not sure where I read it though, was quite some time ago so I could be wrong.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 29 2008, 04:18 PM
Post #6

Merciless Robot

I'm betting that they want to establish a sound performance record with the unmanned version before pressing on with any other applications, which would be a very prudent, even conservative developmental strategy. IMHO, it's damn near irresistable to possess a pressurized space vehicle and not consider going all the way...

One fly in the ointment might be the level of effort needed to man-rate Ariane. IIRC, Jim from NSF.com stated awhile back that not even the Shuttle has ever truly achieved this, being allowed to fly on a series of engineering waivers. All that said, though, I'm sure that different agencies have different procedures & criteria.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Feb 29 2008, 04:31 PM
Post #7

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 29 2008, 04:18 PM) *
One fly in the ointment might be the level of effort needed to man-rate Ariane.

IIRC Ariane 5 was initially was developed as a man-rated launch system to carry Hermes. So if you we ever going to man rate an existing rocket, Ariane 5 is probably easier than most.

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Feb 29 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 28 2008, 08:02 PM) *
Yeah, I'm kind of pumped about it! smile.gif Just out of curiosity, is ESA considering follow-on versions that might conceivably be crew-rated? (Guess that the Ariane V would also have to achieve this as well).

Crew-rated maybe not so soon but, according to John Ellwood, the developed technology for the automatic rendezvous and docking techniques, is an important contribute for a future sample return mission from Mars... smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 29 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #9

Merciless Robot

Nice interview, Rui! smile.gif

Hmm...I dunno...Mr. Elwood sure used the word "manned" a lot, and pointed out that JV was designed to two-fault tolerance specs...definitely getting a vibe, here... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Feb 29 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #10

Special Cookie

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 29 2008, 05:35 PM) *
Nice interview, Rui! smile.gif

Hmm...I dunno...Mr. Elwood sure used the word "manned" a lot, and pointed out that JV was designed to two-fault tolerance specs...definitely getting a vibe, here... wink.gif

Not an interview Nicholas, Ellwood made all the work... wink.gif
Aren't you reading what you want to read? tongue.gif
But I too trust vibes...this will be faster than we think... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 29 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (ustrax @ Feb 29 2008, 09:53 AM) *
Not an interview Nicholas, Ellwood made all the work... wink.gif
Aren't you reading what you want to read? tongue.gif

Nice work nonetheless, and, yeah... smile.gif ...in addition to vibes, I also believe in buzz!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 29 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #12

Guests

Just imagine an escape tower ontop of such an ATV wink.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 29 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #13

Merciless Robot

It's a bit flat, isn't it? Gotta imagine that there's some sort of an aerodynamic front fairing, though; you could put a tower on easy enough.

What might be a bit more difficult is putting a heat shield on the reentry module (and beefing up the front end for reentry stress as well, probably also the ACS for deorbiting with extra mass unless you want to add an independent retro system).

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 1 2008, 03:51 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 15

JV strikes me as somewhat overengineered for a disposable one-flight vehicle, and somewhat underengineered for a prototype of a recoverable manned spacecraft.

It's a good foundation for the development of a manned vehicle -- but there are quite a few changes you'd want to make before adding a crew, I think.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Mar 1 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #15

Special Cookie

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 29 2008, 06:07 PM) *
Nice work nonetheless, and, yeah... smile.gif ...in addition to vibes, I also believe in buzz!

You want buzz?...
Let me give you the closing words of Alain Thirkettle, ESA ISS Programme Manager, in his testimony to spacEurope, to be published Monday...:
"...the necessary capabilities for elements of future human exploration transportation and living/working accommodation are available to Europe, and thus both ATV and Columbus are a crucial building blocks for the future plans of the Agency."

What are these future plans Nicholas?... smile.gif

(did you get my e-mail?...)

EDITED: Launch has been delayed 24 hours due to potential problem identified with the fitting of the grounding straps located in the separation system.

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:38 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.