Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mercury Orbit Insertion, Events and Discussion leading up to MOI
Phil Stooke
post Mar 13 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #61

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Ingenious idea but impossible! Remember, we didn't have a rocket big enough to get Cassini to Saturn without several gravity assists to help it, so the reverse is bound to be impossible with a little bit of residual fuel. And Cassini's fate is decided - burn up in Saturn's atmosphere.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Mar 13 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 13 2011, 07:16 AM) *
Ingenious idea but impossible!...

Yeah. I know next to nothing about the mechanics of getting from one planet to another but look at how 'hard' it's been getting Messenger from Earth to Mercury. I don't see why it would be any easier to get from Saturn to Mercury and with a craft not designed to do that.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 13 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #63

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

If I understand things correctly (and I probably don't), it might actually be easier in terms of delta-V to crash into Mercury from the outer Solar System. Saturn's heliocentric orbital velocity is much lower than that of the Earth, so presumably that means less thrust would be required to negate it & 'fall' into the inner system.

However, we're still probably talking about a change in velocity of several (if not tens) of km/sec, plus escaping from Saturn orbit. I doubt that Cassini could have done this even if it was fully fueled at the beginning of the maneuver.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 13 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 5221

The sun-grazer and long-period comets are an extreme example of this right? A tiny nudge in the Oort cloud is more than enough to send them in a more or less straight line sunward.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 13 2011, 09:25 PM
Post #65

Merciless Robot

Yeah, basically. The stuff way out there is barely moving in comparison to the planets; probably doesn't take much to negate their orbital motion at all (e.g., gravitational nudges from passing stars over long periods of time, perhaps occasional outgassing from the cometary bodies themselves?)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
siravan
post Mar 14 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 1472

If I have calculated correctly, you need a delta-V of 5.4 km/s to go from Saturn's orbit into a Hohmann transfer orbit intersecting Mercury. Dawn could have done it (ignoring distance from Sun issue), but I doubt if Cassini ever had that much of delta-V.

+Quote Post
MarkG
post Mar 14 2011, 06:06 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 4473

At the present time (this Sunday Evening), Mercury would appear from Messenger to be about the same size as the Moon from Earth, with the Sun looming 3 times that diameter.
I think Messenger must halve its current distance to Mercury to enter the Hill Sphere... Soon!

+Quote Post
dmuller
post Mar 14 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 4093

The cheapest (in terms of energy) way to get a spacecraft very close to, or into, the Sun is indeed a Jupiter flyby. Scientifically not very interesting because the spacecraft would not spend much time near the Sun during periapsis. See the Solar Probe Plus trajectory options at

http://solarprobe.jhuapl.edu/mission/docs/...018missions.pdf

pages 3 and 4. The Jupiter flyby option requires by far the least C3.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Mar 15 2011, 04:16 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 615

Not far now! smile.gif
Attached Image

BTW - I love Eyes on the Solar System. Best space Outreach tool ever!

+Quote Post
mchan
post Mar 15 2011, 04:43 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 476

The orientation of the day side is to the right vs. to the left in Where is Messenger? page on the Messenger website. I had wondered about the latter since Messenger is ahead of Mercury in its orbit waiting for the planet to "catch up" to it. EOTSS appears to have the view in accord with the convention of North pointing up.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 15 2011, 04:55 AM
Post #71

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (mchan @ Mar 14 2011, 08:43 PM) *
EOTSS appears to have the view in accord with the convention of North pointing up.

You could have north any way you want smile.gif

+Quote Post
MarkG
post Mar 15 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 4473

QUOTE (mchan @ Mar 14 2011, 09:43 PM) *
The orientation of the day side is to the right vs. to the left in Where is Messenger? page on the Messenger website. I had wondered about the latter since Messenger is ahead of Mercury in its orbit waiting for the planet to "catch up" to it. EOTSS appears to have the view in accord with the convention of North pointing up.

Actually, Messenger is catching up with Mercury, with higher ellipticity in its current (not for long!) orbit, Messenger's speed at perihelion is greater than Mercury's.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Mar 15 2011, 07:57 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Mar 14 2011, 09:16 PM) *
Not far now! smile.gif

If it were green, Messenger would look just like that little android character that keeps popping up on my new phone.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
mchan
post Mar 16 2011, 03:54 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (MarkG @ Mar 15 2011, 07:05 AM) *
Actually, Messenger is catching up with Mercury, with higher ellipticity in its current (not for long!) orbit, Messenger's speed at perihelion is greater than Mercury's.

Agree Messenger velocity at perihelion is higher than Mercury. But, it appears to me that Messenger's orbit angular velocity is less than that of Mercury at the rendezvous. The Mercury flybys and DSM burns are tailored to put Mercury and Messenger in near-resonant orbits with each flyby and DSM burn reducing the ratio of the resonance. After the last flyby, Mercury completes 6 orbits and Messenger completes 5 orbits before the rendezvous for the orbit insertion burn. So it appears to me that Mercury is catching up with Messenger.

Would someone who knows the astrodynamics please correct this?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 16 2011, 04:03 AM
Post #75

Merciless Robot

A minor milestone just occurred to me: Not only will Messenger become the first spacecraft to orbit Mercury, but for the first time we will have orbited every terrestrial planet in the Solar System...in fact, we will have active spacecraft orbiting every major body in the inner Solar System.

Maybe that's not such a minor milestone, actually... smile.gif ...wow!

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.