12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Lakes in the limelight, the 2013 image bonanza continues
titanicrivers
post Sep 24 2013, 07:46 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 4081

"Here is an image from a few days earlier that I like because it shows almost the whole of Titan's northern lake province now in daylight. (It's one of many that are ripe for stacking and other clever stuff.)"

Agree the earlier views of the N polar lakes are striking. The September 6th images stand in stark contrast to those of Sept 2009 when plenty of tropospheric clouds appeared over the N polar lakes and seas (figure on left). The apparent lack of clouds raise questions as to 1) whether the clouds are seasonal-atmospheric phenomena and not much influenced by the lakes presence or 2) whether the lake/sea composition and minimal seasonal winds at this time are less conducive for cloud formation.
The color composite images and the upper haze layers (seen in the UV3 filter) are also awesome (figure on the right).
Attached Image
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 26 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 542

One late arrival - some smallish lakes from fairly close in. Is that MacKay lacus at the bottom left?
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...0/N00217222.jpg

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 15 2013, 09:55 PM
Post #18

Another family portrait of Titan's great lakes, clockwise from top: Kraken, Jingpo, Punga, Ligeia.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...0/N00217414.jpg

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Oct 16 2013, 08:06 PM
Post #19

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 16 2013, 09:04 PM
Post #20

Beautiful! I was really hoping someone would do that, so my hearty thanks. smile.gif
There's one area in these new views that I'm finding hard to reconcile with the earlier ISS views of the lakes. It's the area on the eastern side of Kraken Mare that in the first images resembled the foot of Italy. Looking at it now Italy appears to have curled up its toe! Here's the older view: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Kraken_mare.jpg

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Oct 23 2013, 02:04 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 4081

I've added a Sept 2013 image (bottom of composite figure below) of Kraken. The "toe of Italy" is about the same stage of 'falling off' as best I can tell and there hasn't been major changes from 2007. Perhaps with the ground surrounding the lake and seas saturated with methane and/or ethane http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2443...s-on-titan.html big changes are not expected.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 23 2013, 12:48 PM
Post #22

My clumsy atempt to highlight what I was referring to on a crop from Ian R's mosaic. 'Toe' is the upper oval. Lower oval is the dark area I don't see on the earlier images.

EDIT: still trying to attach . . aah, there we go:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 23 2013, 07:25 PM
Post #23

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

I can finally show off our versions of these mosaics:

T92 MONITORNA001:
http://www.ciclops.org/view/7730/Dark-Lake...right-Landscape

T93 MONITORNA001:
http://www.ciclops.org/view/7731/Titans-No...The-Big-Picture

T94 REGMAP001:
http://www.ciclops.org/view/7732/Birds-Eye...e-Land-of-Lakes

T94 VIMS HIRES:
http://www.ciclops.org/view/7733/Titans-No...akes-Salt-Flats

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 23 2013, 09:14 PM
Post #24

What a bountiful harvest of wonderful views!!! There is unprecedented detail (I think) in the ISS products and the spectacular VIMS release is particularly welcome. We had evidence of a light fringe around Kraken Mare before but now we see the full extent of these possible evaporite deposits. I'm a bit surprised that the greenish background on the VIMS mosaic is described as water ice. I thought exposed water ice was rather rare on Titan.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 23 2013, 09:22 PM
Post #25

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I think I had a conversation with somebody about that at DPS -- that there's a new calibration of VIMS data that has changed the apparent relative brightness of the surface in two windows that suddenly make water ice a possibility for that surface. I think. I better go check that with somebody. Is Jason Barnes still hanging around here?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 23 2013, 09:34 PM
Post #26

Such a reinterpretation would make sense. I think the Huygens team has always maintained that the pebbles on the surface are probably water ice. It would be good to know, one way or the other.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Oct 23 2013, 09:36 PM
Post #27

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Fantastic work Jason! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason W Barnes
post Oct 23 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1086

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 23 2013, 02:22 PM) *
I think I had a conversation with somebody about that at DPS -- that there's a new calibration of VIMS data that has changed the apparent relative brightness of the surface in two windows that suddenly make water ice a possibility for that surface. I think. I better go check that with somebody. Is Jason Barnes still hanging around here?

I've been lurking recently, but I show up every once in a while wink.gif The greenish stuff is probably more icy than the evaporites, for sure, but isn't pure water ice, even with the 2.7/2.8 micron correction that I talked about at DPS. But it's got SOME ice, while the evaporites have none. Note that the press release was simplified from what I would have written; I don't get to have them be rigorous enough for this crowd always wink.gif

- VIMS Jason

+Quote Post
remcook
post Oct 24 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #29

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

There was an interesting talk by Pascal Rannou at EPSC ( http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EPS...PSC2013-459.pdf - although the abstract doesn't mention results yet), showing a very nice fit to the DISR data with a combination of water ice and fractal haze particles. Apparently it shows a water ice feature at 1.5 micron.

+Quote Post
Jason W Barnes
post Oct 24 2013, 07:45 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1086

QUOTE (Jason W Barnes @ Oct 23 2013, 03:00 PM) *
The greenish stuff is probably more icy than the evaporites, for sure, but isn't pure water ice, even with the 2.7/2.8 micron correction that I talked about at DPS.

Speaking of which, the paper associated with that talk is just now out in ApJ, here's a link to the copy on my website.

- VIMS Jason

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:31 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.