IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dust Storm- Opportunity EOM, the end of the beginning of a new era in robotic spaceflight
mcaplinger
post Jun 11 2018, 09:52 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

Has Opportunity ever been in a low-power fault state? I'm thinking not.

As far as I know, Spirit went into this state on sol 2210 and never came out, although this is supposed to be recoverable.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
serpens
post Jun 11 2018, 11:28 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 4605

I guess Opportunity would be better placed to come out of a low power fault state. Spirit had to try and survive the depths of winter. With the dust storm maximum temperatures will be cool but minimum temperatures will be higher than normal for this time of year and the radioisotope heaters may be able to cope.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jun 12 2018, 12:33 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 4338

https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/newsroom/pressrel.../20040526a.html

Is it cold enough to require "Deep Sleep" mode to keep the "stuck-on" heater from wasting energy? (I guess we don't have to worry about the Mini-TES any more.)

Does the loss of flash memory affect the hazard of a low-battery state?

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 12 2018, 04:11 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 4270

It's apparently not as bad over Curiosity's landing site, but the air is noticeably dusty.
Sol 2077 MastCam.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 12 2018, 05:47 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (serpens @ Jun 11 2018, 03:28 PM) *
I guess Opportunity would be better placed to come out of a low power fault state. Spirit had to try and survive the depths of winter.

I'm not sure that the specific failure mode that got Spirit has ever really been identified. The presumption was that it was related to cold, but it would surprise me a little if there was anything about MER that could be rendered non-functional by a few deep thermal cycles. (Well, maybe the batteries, but the system would still work in the daytime.)

Hopefully there isn't some inherent flaw in the low power fault state, or better yet, that it never gets entered.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 12 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 6853

NASA will host a media teleconference at 10:30 a.m. PDT (1:30 p.m. EDT) Wednesday, June 13, to discuss a massive Martian dust storm affecting operations of the agency's Opportunity rover and what scientists can learn from the various missions studying this unprecedented event. More at link:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7158

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Jun 12 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Jun 12 2018, 10:36 PM) *
NASA will host a media teleconference at 10:30 a.m. PDT (1:30 p.m. EDT) Wednesday, June 13, to discuss a massive Martian dust storm...

Now that we have equipment on Mars, should global dust storms get names like Earth hurricanes or typhoons?
Guess the 2007 storm would be "Ashes" and this would be "Bowie"?

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jun 12 2018, 10:39 PM
Post #38

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Jun 12 2018, 04:11 AM) *
It's apparently not as bad over Curiosity's landing site, but the air is noticeably dusty.
Sol 2077 MastCam.

Can only imagine what it's like at Oppy.

+Quote Post
xflare
post Jun 12 2018, 11:32 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 84

Has there been any further communication from Opportunity since Sunday morning?

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jun 13 2018, 12:46 AM
Post #40

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

There will be a telecon tomorrow (Wednesday June 13, 2018) at 10:30am PDT

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7158

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 13 2018, 12:50 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (xflare @ Jun 12 2018, 03:32 PM) *
Has there been any further communication from Opportunity since Sunday morning?

I don't know. I happened to notice a DSN track on DSN Now this morning but nothing was received while I was watching.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jun 13 2018, 03:05 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 7273

The JPL news story on the dust storm was updated this evening to say that the rover failed to check in today and is likely in low-power fault mode.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7155

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 13 2018, 03:45 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (jccwrt @ Jun 12 2018, 07:05 PM) *
the rover failed to check in today and is likely in low-power fault mode.

Bummer. Per https://trs.jpl.nasa.gov/handle/2014/37750 (assuming there are no changes to the fault response), if it gets enough power to boot back up, comm is limited to one LGA DTE per day at 11 LST, unless the ops team can get commands in to alter this behavior and enable UHF comm. I'm sure this will all be described tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
serpens
post Jun 13 2018, 04:15 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 4605

Thanks for that link. I guess all that can be done now is sit back, cross all available fingers and hope that this amazing feat of engineering design can astound us one more time.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jun 13 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #45

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 10 2018, 04:11 PM) *
...the solar panels however they are supported must have some some natural vibration frequencies. If it were possible to drive those natural oscillations the amplitude might be enhanced to the point where more dust slides.

On Si=ol 4311 we "drove" uphill at 32 degrees and excited the vehicle with quite large values of vibration and very little dust was moved. We tried on Spirit as well back on a slope (also at 30deg) before leaving the north side of Home Plate and there was no measurable effect on dust factor. I think one has to consider we are talking DUST, not sand.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:40 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.