Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wonders of the Solar System
djellison
post Mar 12 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #31

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

That IS a minority opinion, because whilst you're writing a list of things wrong with it and giving up after 10 minutes I can't think of ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING wrong with it and I have NEVER seen so many positive opinions of something on the interwebs. Ever.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 12 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

Well said, Stu. It's about communicating enthusiasm and using exciting information to do it. I watched it in hope of learning something about how to do that, and it turned out to be a masterclass. Now if I wanted to learn a lot of new facts about the topic of a TV programme I'd watch one about the history of embroidery or something.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 12 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #33

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Wow, if you liked it Doug, just say so... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 12 2010, 09:11 PM
Post #34

The Poet Dude

If anything it was a bit too good; I'm giving one of my Outreach talks tomorrow afternoon in Kendal Museum - "Earth", for National Science and Engineering Week - and I now feel more than a little "Ha! Follow that!" pressure, to be honest! It's bad enough that Brian Cox is knowledgeable and likeable, but he's suddenly made people think that scientists can be sexy. Guess I'll shatter that illusion tomorrow! laugh.gif

Anyway, all I know is that I have literally been stopped in the street half a dozen times this week, since ""Wonders" aired, by people I know who just wanted to tell me (Universe knows why!) how much they'd enjoyed it. So now, knowing that many of the people in the Museum tomorrow will have seen "Wonders" I'm going to have to stand there knowing that the bar has been raised. Horizon, with its boring stock footage, droning narration and poor production values is dead, and deservedly so. "Wonders" has the potential to inspire and excite a huge number of people. I think this could be quite a moment, to be honest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 12 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Stu @ Mar 12 2010, 09:11 PM) *
Horizon

I agree. I watched the cosmology one. Repetition, hesitation and deviation throughout. They wouldn't last two seconds on 'Just a Minute'.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 12 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #36

Founder

The recent Horizon? God it was dreadful. Stock petrol-explosion after stock petrol explosion, every time someone said 'Bang'. It spent a very very long time saying very very little. So much abstract fluffy visual FX - it was like a showreal for 12 year old who just discovered Adobe After Effects.

It was crap.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 13 2010, 05:54 AM
Post #37

The Poet Dude

QUOTE (ngunn @ Mar 12 2010, 11:11 PM) *
I agree. I watched the cosmology one. Repetition, hesitation and deviation throughout. They wouldn't last two seconds on 'Just a Minute'.

(BUZZ)

Sorry, you used the word "I" twice...

My turn. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 13 2010, 06:01 AM
Post #38

The Poet Dude

It's a shame Horizon has gone that way. I am sure a lot of us here grew up with Horizon being a regular 'science fix', and we looked forward to the specials after a probe's planetary encounter. They were THE science documentaries to watch. I remember playing video-taped V2 and Magellan Horizons and photographing the screen to make slides for using in my talks (pre Net and Powerpoint and USB sticks and Smartboards and digital projectors... cripes, how did we manage?!). Following the slow death of Horizon has been quite sad. I think Brian Cox just gave it an injection to put it out of its misery.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 13 2010, 06:26 AM
Post #39

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Heck, I'm jealous of you UKers who had what sounds like a real science program that lasted long enough to deteriorate... rolleyes.gif

(Nothing against PBS's Nova here in the US, but it sounds as if Horizon was much more in tune with current events.)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Mar 13 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 279

In my opinion, Horizon seemed to slide in quality shortly after the time that its rival Equinox started, what with its funkier camera angles and off-the-wall shooting than the staid old Beeb would ever have considered.

I suppose the real problem is that TV producers, researchers and directors are largely from meedja studies and arts environments. There have been more than a few occasions when I've got the distinct impression that a Horizon programme explaining something was written by people who don't quite understand it (or, worse, believe it) themselves.

On a meta-level rolleyes.gif I thought the recent Horizon worked quite well: while the first fifty minutes was full of boring balloons and explosions, irritating interviews and, indeed, saying nothing about Dark Energy until the last ten minutes, it did suggest Space Filler rather well. Which is what Dark Energy's all about, no? laugh.gif

Andy

(Seemingly unable to type a reply in the box using the latest FF update)

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Mar 13 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #41

Guests

QUOTE (nprev @ Mar 13 2010, 06:26 AM) *
(Nothing against PBS's Nova here in the US, but it sounds as if Horizon was much more in tune with current events.)

I thought Horizon and Nova were the same program or at least a co production...

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 13 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #42

Founder

Nova may occasionally play some Horizon episodes - but most Nova episodes only make it to Nat Geo channel over here.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Mar 13 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 655

Wow, the first episode has certainly elicited some passionate comments!
I thought it was very well put together, and the presenter's enthusiasm is great to see. I agree with some that science documentaries seem to have generally slipped in standard though. I'm looking forward to the next episode very much.

The best science documentary I ever saw was 'The secret treasures of Zeugma' on the BBC in 2000 - all about the flooding of the ancient site of Zeugma in Turkey to make way for a dam/hydroelectric scheme, and the race against time to excavate the fabulous mosaics before the water levels inundated them forever - thoroughly absorbing, and with no whizz-bang frippery (the revelations spoke for themselves). I'd highly recommend it if you can track down a copy.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Mar 13 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #44

Guests

I would have liked to have seen more real space craft imagery - I think images from SOHO, TRACE and STEREO are so spectacular we don't need CGI

I tihink this a short preview of episode 2 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8564405.stm

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 13 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #45

Founder

SOHO, TRACE and STEREO imagery, great though it is - can't fly you through the chronosphere. The CGI - especially for that - was superb.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.