37 Pages V  « < 24 25 26 27 28 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Storm, Dust storm of 2007
ugordan
post Aug 3 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #376

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Uranium heaters? Pardon me for being ignorant here, but what isotope would that be? U-233, 235 and 238 all have very low specific heat output as I remember.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 3 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #377

Member No.: 152

Plutonium. From this press release:
Each rover has eight radioisotope heater units that supplement electric heaters for keeping batteries and electronics within their operating temperature ranges. The radioisotope heater units use the decay heat from plutonium-238. Each of them provides about one watt of heat. They aid the rovers' survival on very low-power days and through cold nights, though the electric heaters are also necessary.
Eight watts over 24 hours gives 192 Whrs per sol. If most of that heat is useful rather than waste, that's actually a very significant addition to the array output these sols!

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 3 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #378

Member No.: 523

Yep, that sounds about right. Plutonium-238 dioxide, the same stuff as commonly used in RTGs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Aug 3 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #379

Member No.: 1638

QUOTE (akuo @ Aug 3 2007, 10:42 AM) *
I'm wondering why the turning on of the emergency heaters would be so bad? Is it so that they cannot be otherwise turned on, except automatically when the low temperature limit is reached? Is there a particular reason to run other electronics instead of the heaters, which I would think would be most efficient in warming the WEB?

It all comes down to how much heat you need versus how much heat you can afford. Consider the following analogy: If your room temperature in winter is 11 C, and the minimum you can personally tolerate is 13 C, you may be able to reach 13 C by just leaving your computer and CRTs on for longer periods. Switching on a heater will bring the room up to a much more comfortable 18 C, but at a hefty cost.

+Quote Post
akuo
post Aug 3 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #380

Member No.: 63

QUOTE (Del Palmer @ Aug 3 2007, 03:26 PM) *
If your room temperature in winter is 11 C, and the minimum you can personally tolerate is 13 C, you may be able to reach 13 C by just leaving your computer and CRTs on for longer periods. Switching on a heater will bring the room up to a much more comfortable 18 C, but at a hefty cost.

Continuing your analogy, why not use the heater to bring it up to 13 degrees C if that's all you need? Which is really my question, don't they have control over the heaters except for the emergency situation triggered by the low temperature? I would think using the heaters would be more efficient in heating the WEB than eg. running the processor.

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
helvick
post Aug 3 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #381

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

From a thermodynamic point of view all of the means of heating would be the same since all of the energy gets dissipated as heat eventually (assuming we're talking about stuff happning within the WEB at any rate).

Given that, it would seem (to me) to be better to use the electronics systems to heat themselves where possible as the heat in question would be distributed directly through the thing you most want to heat up and you get the benefit of the other work at the same time.

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Aug 3 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #382

QUOTE (akuo @ Aug 3 2007, 04:41 PM) *
Continuing your analogy, why not use the heater to bring it up to 13 degrees C if that's all you need? Which is really my question, don't they have control over the heaters except for the emergency situation triggered by the low temperature? I would think using the heaters would be more efficient in heating the WEB than eg. running the processor.

The survival heaters are thermostatically controlled - you can't bring them on until they reach the critical low, and turning them off would require Deep Sleep mode (something that's not possible during the day).

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Aug 3 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #383

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 3 2007, 03:14 PM) *
There are 8 of them as I understand it - 6 on the battery, 2 on the REM. They each chuck out abotu 1W of heat. They've been doing so since the day they landed - and - except for decay - will carry on doing so for some time to come. Essentially they're there making a bad situation slightly less bad than it might be. they wont keep an entirely dead rover warm enough for survival - they just shave a bit off the heating requirements.

Oh, they do more than just shave a bit off the heating requirements. It's a sobering thought to consider that without the RHUs, the rovers wouldn't even have been able to last 90 Sols due to depleted batteries.

+Quote Post
Chmee
post Aug 3 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #384

Member No.: 206

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Aug 3 2007, 10:46 AM) *
Here are both HST July observations (July 23 and 27).

Hey who took our Mars and put this imposter in its place? It looks like a cue ball smile.gif
That storm is amazing. Although tthe rovers are struggling, I think we are garnering much new information by having 'ground-truth' on this.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Aug 3 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #385

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (Chmee @ Aug 3 2007, 08:28 PM) *
I think we are garnering much new information by having 'ground-truth' on this.

I'm avoiding to visit this thread since its beggining, call it a defensive procedure, but I must agree with you, this possiblity of gathering local knowledge about martian storms by the rovers is another jewel to the crown of glory of this mission.

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 3 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #386

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Oh, no doubt about it; this storm may well prove to be the primary engineering/environmental data acquistion triumph of the MERs with respect to future lander mission designs, at least the solar-powered ones.

Of couse, as the dust settles it will be clinically interesting to see if it affects any other systems, particularly moving parts...though I suspect there won't be any effects since the MER team hasn't missed a beat yet with respect to contingency planning & design. (You guys are just unbelievable! smile.gif)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
MarsIsImportant
post Aug 3 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #387

Member No.: 1503

QUOTE (Chmee @ Aug 3 2007, 02:28 PM) *
Hey who took our Mars and put this imposter in its place? It looks like a cue ball smile.gif
That storm is amazing. Although tthe rovers are struggling, I think we are garnering much new information by having 'ground-truth' on this.

If there was any doubt that this is a global dust event, then it should be gone now. Both images show an extremely dusty atmosphere; yet, the second one clearly shows that the intensity of the storm has maintained and spread considerably further over the entire planet within 4 or 5 days. There are only a few spots relatively dust free now. And relative is a pretty inaccurate term here...like basically maybe the pole! Yet even the pole seems slightly obscured in the 27 July image.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 3 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #388

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (MarsIsImportant @ Aug 3 2007, 09:11 PM) *
If there was any doubt that this is a global dust event, then it should be gone now. Both images show an extremely dusty atmosphere; yet, the second one clearly shows that the intensity of the storm has maintained and spread considerably further over the entire planet within 4 or 5 days. There are only a few spots relatively dust free now. And relative is a pretty inaccurate term here...like basically maybe the pole! Yet even the pole seems slightly obscured in the 27 July image.

I wouldn't go that far. It isn't the same face of the planet, and the south polar cap isn't properly aligned with the south pole, so it may simply be closer to the limb.

--------------------

+Quote Post
imipak
post Aug 4 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #389

Member No.: 617

QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 3 2007, 09:58 PM) *
....the MER team hasn't missed a beat yet with respect to contingency planning & design. (You guys are just unbelievable! smile.gif)

Yes, amazing resilience, so far anyway!

I think it's interesting that the widely-quoted minimum power requirements of 280-ish Whr is clearly *not* the minimum, and that the engineering team don't seem particularly surprised by that(?) (In this 2004 post by Helvick the 280Whr figure is attributed to Steve Squyres.)

BTW -- this will be old news for the experts here, but I just came across this interesting doc from a JPL "MER Thermal Design workshop" in 2002, which shows the heaters alone as requiring 172 Whr/day (page 22.)

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
raketmensch
post Aug 4 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #390

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (imipak @ Aug 4 2007, 07:26 AM) *
I think it's interesting that the widely-quoted minimum power requirements of 280-ish Whr is clearly *not* the minimum, and that the engineering team don't seem particularly surprised by that(?) (In this 2004 post by Helvick the 280Whr figure is attributed to Steve Squyres.)

BTW -- this will be old news for the experts here, but I just came across this interesting doc from a JPL "MER Thermal Design workshop" in 2002, which shows the heaters alone as requiring 172 Whr/day (page 22.)

But minimum survival power should depend on environmental conditions, which vary. It'd be greatest for Spirit in the winter, when temperatures are coldest. It'd be considerably less in the summer. And it'd be least of all (fortunately!) during a dust storm, when nighttime temperatures are moderated by all the dust in the atmosphere. So I think that any quoted minimum power requirement (or power draw by the survival heaters) has to be considered in the context of the conditions on Mars at the time.

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 24 25 26 27 28 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.