Reply to this topicStart new topic
Getting Unstuck in West Valley
RoverDriver
post May 12 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #31

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (alan @ May 12 2009, 12:15 PM) *

Thanks. This exactly the kind of posting I'd like to see. THANK YOU!!

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lyford
post May 12 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 124

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the term "high centered" mean? Is it referring to center of gravity? A 4WD phrase? Both sides are equally dug in??? unsure.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 12 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #33

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

"High-centered" usually means that the vehicle's center of gravity is being supported on something other than the drive surfaces, so there's little or no traction, Lyford.

Paolo, it's good that there's some significant lateral slope. Are there any transducers or some indirect means to measure how much of Spirit's weight is resting on the wheels? That would be good to know for strategy development.

Based on your description of the situation, if it was me in a truck or something I'd gun it forward, expecting the left wheels to slip & hoping that the right wheels would grab enough to spin me downslope (leftwards) & pick up dual traction again.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
HughFromAlice
post May 12 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 3989

QUOTE (imipak @ May 13 2009, 04:26 AM) *
"....risk of high centering the rover," project manager John Callas said. "There is a real danger of it getting permanently stuck."

Purgatory ...looked pretty scary.......wasn't immediately obvious

From one who has been bogged in remote places many times during their driving career, I would say thinking it through and - above all - patience pay high dividends!!! I'm sure that they'll test, retest and reretest....... over many many weeks if necessary.

Paolo, besides getting thermoses of strong black coffee air freighted to your team, is there any small thing at all that UMSFers could do that could be of support? (Like the v useful posts above of exactly where Spirit was bogged - or some thread similar to the Drivability Analysis etc.) Very frustrating to have to just sit here while the wheels spin!!!!

+Quote Post
marsophile
post May 12 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 4338

This is maybe grasping at a straw, but is the soil traction affected by temperature? Is there any reason to think a night move, when it is colder, might have better traction?

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 12 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (nprev @ May 12 2009, 01:35 PM) *
"High-centered" usually means that the vehicle's center of gravity is being supported on something other than the drive surfaces, so there's little or no traction, Lyford.

That is correct. Sorry for using terms that are unfamiliar.

Paolo, it's good that there's some significant lateral slope. Are there any transducers or some indirect means to measure how much of Spirit's weight is resting on the wheels? That would be good to know for strategy development.

Not that I know of. The rocker-bogie system since it is passive is an indirect measurement, but it is affected by the mechanical properties of the soil.

Based on your description of the situation, if it was me in a truck or something I'd gun it forward, expecting the left wheels to slip & hoping that the right wheels would grab enough to spin me downslope (leftwards) & pick up dual traction again.

A car or truck is not really representative of the type of motion we have on the rover. It is mostly a sequence of quasi-static moments rather than a dynamic event.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 12 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #37

Merciless Robot

Got it; I used the truck analogy for illustration only.

What I was thinking was something like a 30 sec run on all drive wheels (forward or backward!) Even churning the soil on the left side provides some impulse via reaction. If you can get the nose to swing to the left enough, you're probably home free.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 12 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #38

Merciless Robot

Here's another unsolicited silly idea: Can you turn the 3 operable front & back wheels 90 deg with respect to the lateral axis of the rover & try to translate it to the left (not a spin, all driving the same direction)? That might drag you clear of whatever's presumably underneath & reseat the wheels.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 12 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (nprev @ May 12 2009, 02:30 PM) *
Here's another unsolicited silly idea: Can you turn the 3 operable front & back wheels 90 deg with respect to the lateral axis of the rover & try to translate it to the left (not a spin, all driving the same direction)? That might drag you clear of whatever's presumably underneath & reseat the wheels.

Nope. The max is 60deg, we tried to turn them 30deg and drive forward (1894-1899) and made some (slowly diminishing) progress.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post May 12 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 3299

A question, when MER landed on Mars, its six wheels were kept inside. I wish I would have seen the movie on how MER unstowed their six wheels before rolling out from the lander bag to see whether the below idea would be feasible.

Depending upon to its technical characteristics, is possible to perform stow the 2-4 or 6 wheels until its belly touches on the surface and again perform to unstow the wheels very slow trying to turn around somewhat so that the wheels can pose on better firmness soil?

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 12 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #41

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ May 12 2009, 09:16 PM) *
Roughly, yes. The roll of the rover is not very accuratly represented as well as the precise state of each wheel, but the position itself is quite accurate.

Thanks Paolo, appreciate that. It was just a thrown-together thing, so glad to know I wasn't too far out.

All the best to you and your team as you start looking at this. Hard days ahead of you, to be sure, but you're the guys to get our gal free.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 12 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #42

Merciless Robot

Hmm. How about rocking it? That would be a 60 deg all wheels right short move going aft, followed by 60 deg all wheel left going fwd, repeat a few times & see if her nose begins to point downslope.

(BTW, thanks for your patience with my amateur suggestions, P; you're busy, and your replies are kind, but no worries if you got better things to do! smile.gif I'll post whacko thoughts as I get them just for fun.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
BrianL
post May 12 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 721

Paolo, could you move your seat forward a bit? I don't think nprev has enough legroom back there. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 12 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #44

Merciless Robot

laugh.gif ...fortunately, my legs are retractable!

BTW, Paolo, don't forget to adjust your rear-view mirror before backing up!!! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post May 12 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #45

Guests

I wonder if the arm could usefully push against the ground in any way, to take weight off wheels? Would that be helpful? That would obviously be a last-ditch (no pun intended) effort. The arm is pretty strong and the rover weighs less on Mars...

+Quote Post

72 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:59 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.