Reply to this topicStart new topic
The MECA story, A place for speculation
Stu
post Aug 2 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #76

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Well, it's no huge surprise is it? Once the media bloodhounds get a whiff of a story-scented scrap of cloth that's it...

You can't keep things like this under wraps, not in this modern world when there's pseudo-glory to be gained by gathering and then revealing info before everyone else.

Whatever will be, will be. Steady on chaps. Don't panic. Remember you're UMSF... smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Aug 2 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #77

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Paul Fjeld @ Aug 2 2008, 05:07 PM) *
...when they have a press conference I want them to be able to describe the state of their work with the appropriate caveats...

If the MECA results merit their own press conference, great. Then that is what they should have... in due course.

PS: I do feel your pain. smile.gif

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Aug 3 2008, 01:14 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 627

For myself, I was just surprised by Craig Covault's question. The more so because man is a professional. Been doing this space reporting for a long time. I respect him. But I have to agree with our esteemed smug elitist Doug. You do not embarrass your sources in public.

DO look forward to whatever MECA has found..... more grist for the mill.

Craig ....Proud to be a UMSF contributor

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 3 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 2 2008, 05:51 PM) *
Well, it's no huge surprise is it? Once the media bloodhounds get a whiff of a story-scented scrap of cloth that's it...

Doing a quick check, the search terms "mars" and "science advisor" only bring up two relevant articles on Google News, one the AW&ST article, and one regurgitation of same on worldnetdaily. Searching for "mars" and "white house" picks up the slashdot post. That's about it for Google News.

In the general blogosphere, technorati shows only a few references. Searching on "mars" and "covault" brings up the "Breaking Mars Story: Noise From The BBS Crowd" snark from nasawatch--also a random blog entry with no comments.

In short, fears of the unwashed masses appear to be greatly exaggerated--rather, the problem is that most people aren't even aware what Phoenix is, other than the city, & could only be enlightened by exposure to the fact that intriguing chemical analyses are being done by a spacecraft of that name on Mars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Aug 3 2008, 01:49 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 15

I dunno... a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I got a journalism degree in college, and actually worked in newspapers for a couple of years (until I discovered I could make *tons* more money in technical writing).

I have something of a clue of how these things work. And I'd bet y'all any money the sequence went something like this:

Craig Covault is sitting around his office and gets a call from a friend who monitors the White House beat (likely for some other news organization). Let's face it, Covault isn't a White House correspondent.

Covault's friend says, "Hey, I just got word that your Mars lander guys came and gave a special presentation to the President. What the <bleep> is happening over on your side of the street, Craig?"

Covault guardedly replies, "Nothing they've told *me*."

Whereupon friend correspondent says, "Well, they have to have *something* hot, or they wouldn't be briefing the White House."

Now, if you're Craig Covault at that moment, maybe having nursed some private concerns over the very, very little information that has been released from the first TEGA run and from the WCL runs, just how are you going to feel? Maybe just a little, well... blindsided?

I can't blame the man for reacting the way he did. If the above scenario is correct, Covault got his skinny from a political reporter, while his own contacts in the Phoenix team and in the space industry in general had not only not given him any hints of this, it might just feel to him like his contacts have been deliberately withholding information from him. (Please note, I am *not* particularly suggesting that is the case, or that it would be un-called-for even if true -- I'm only suggesting that this scenario may have made Covault *feel* like that.)

If it were me, and especially if private questions along the same lines had been stonewalled, then heck, yes, I'll ask the question at a press conference. If I'm feeling like my contacts don't respect me, then I'm more motivated to remind them that respect is a two-way street.

Again, speaking from the point of view of someone who has worked the reporter's side of the street, and knows a little bit about the somewhat lunatic dynamic between a beat reporter and his/her contacts.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
andrea
post Aug 3 2008, 06:16 AM
Post #81

Member No.: 4202

Nasawatch.com comments on the phoenix twitter: "Heard about the recent news reports implying I may have found Martian life. Those reports are incorrect".

While I disagree about his comment re: this forum, I think that Keith Cowing is right that NASA PAO is sleeping on this. The confusion between finding life and "potential for life" will be lost to the public IMHO unless cleared up by NASA.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 3 2008, 07:19 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 116

Hehe! It's so much fun to speculate about things like this. IMmostHO, interested members here should bite their tongues, and refrain from further public comments until the "official news" is released by the relevant scientists. To be honest, we have no idea with regard to what they may have discovered, unless someone of us is a very lucky insider.

"lost to the public..." I wouldn't discount the public as lost.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Aug 3 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #83

Guests

Well the twitter page seem to refute ALL of this story. No Whitehouse briefing has ever taken place. huh.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 3 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #84

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Reports claiming there was a White House briefing are also untrue and incorrect.

Heard about the recent news reports implying I may have found Martian life. Those reports are incorrect

Curiouser and curiouser.

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Aug 3 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 1563

I go away for one week to move house and everyone thinks they've discovered life on mars.. tut tut tut rolleyes.gif
Seriously, I'm going to wait for an official announcement before I let myself think anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 3 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #86

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 3 2008, 03:48 AM) *
Curiouser and curiouser.

I'm tellin' ya...it's all hype, and not hype constructed or clearly wanted by the Phoenix team or NASA. There's a bad odor about. unsure.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 3 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #87

The Poet Dude

Oh, definitely hype, but hype of a mysterious, shiny new-found nugget of Interesting Science. There is a story here. Almost certainly not anything that's going to force a paradigm-shift, or going to prompt a White House lawn press announcement, but hopefully something that will confidently tap another piece of the 1 million piece jigsaw of martian history into place. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 3 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #88

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I completely agree. smile.gif It's going to be interesting, regardless.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Aug 3 2008, 02:36 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 1376

Has anyone seen any of these news reports implying the discovery of Martian life that "Phoenix" is talking about? It's irrelevant, I know, but I'm just curious about what she's talking about. I haven't seen anything like that.

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 3 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #90

The Poet Dude

I think it's just the same story but spun a little wilder, that's all. Some commentators are adding 2 and 2 and getting 5, others are rounding it up to 10 and moving at Warp Factor Whacko towards the announcement of Phoenix having found critters on Mars. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.