Reply to this topicStart new topic
Data Discolsure, SRC of HSRC on MEX
Phil Stooke
post Dec 14 2005, 04:12 AM
Post #16

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

We're looking at the north pole. Stickney is off the top. Roche, very near the north pole, is deep in shadow at bottom. There are three SRC images from this orbit spread left to right, but giving no new coverage. The HRSC image which matches this has a data gap but does show the full disk (except that gap) including Stickney at lower resolution. I'll post it tomorrow. There are Viking images of this general area, and the previously released Phobos images from Mars Express (a release early this year, if I recall) also overlap it a lot.

The only publicly released SRC image I can think of is one of those from the earlier Phobos set. My Deimos images (above in this thread) show that SRC has a slight double exposure-type defect. In this Phobos image it seems to add to the perception of there being a zillion grooves.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Dec 14 2005, 04:56 AM
Post #17

Guests

The HRSC scientists are still reluctant to talk about the SRC, but one photo of a dust devil taken by it was shown at the AGU. The resolution was still listed as 5 meters/pixel, implying that they haven't been able to correct the focusing problem.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 14 2005, 05:24 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 13 2005, 03:32 PM)
And, for this picture in specific: would it be a valuable activity to try any of those focus-correcting or deconvolution tools on these blurry SRC images?

Despite what's been said in other discussions in this forum, you need knowledge of a system's point-spread function to do deconvolution. Anything you do without knowledge of the PSF is just regular high-pass filtering, and you can do that with Photoshop perfectly well.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 14 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #19

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Dec 14 2005, 05:24 AM)
Despite what's been said in other discussions in this forum, you need knowledge of a system's point-spread function to do deconvolution.  Anything you do without knowledge of the PSF is just regular high-pass filtering, and you can do that with Photoshop perfectly well.

If you can find images of point sources from a camera, you can reconstruct the PSF.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 14 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #20

Here's the HRSC image of Phobos from MEX orbit 1163 to match the SRC image above. I want to emphasize that there is a (minimal) improvement in resolution going from HRSC to SRC, even with the flaw. See my next post.

Stickney is at the top. The north pole is at the bottom near the terminator. And this is a left-right mirror image. I didn't correct it because it's important to illustrate the fact that the raw images can be flipped in that way.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 14 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #21

I said there was an increase in resolution, and thought I'd make a direct comparison image to prove it. The results were not promising so I edited my comment above! Here's the comparison:

Attached Image

The HRSC-nd2 image is a 100 by 100 pixel detail from the previous post, enlarged two times. The SRC image was cropped to match this and had to be shrunk slightly to match the scale, but that is not making any significant difference to the resolution because it is already degraded. The double exposure (or jitter) effect is visible on every sharp edge here. Here the nd2 image is flipped to match SRC and the view you would see.

If you just sharpen the SRC image you are sharpening the double exposure! That won't help. A custom-written routine to subtract the ghost image might be possible, but such things are never perfect.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 14 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Dec 14 2005, 02:32 AM)
If you can find images of point sources from a camera, you can reconstruct the PSF.

Certainly. In fact, I might say that this is the only way to reliably determine the PSF, though it's complicated by the fact that you are limited by the sampling frequency of the system's detector and you would usually not oversample the PSF as much as you'd like to if you were just trying to measure the PSF, not take useful images.

However, I haven't seen anyone on this forum going through the PSF determination process, and without doing that, you can't do deconvolution, you can only do filtering.

Just a pedantic nitpick, perhaps, but I think it's important to be precise about these things.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Dec 15 2005, 01:12 AM
Post #23

Guests

One possible additional problem: since SRC's focusing problem seems to be due to the fact that they can't adequately regulate the camera's temperature, the degree of defocusing may keep changing, making reliable deconvolution almost impossible. (ESA has implied that they knew this was a risk when they decided to add the lightweight SRC to Mars Express' payload at the last minute.)

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Dec 15 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 174

mcaplinger: "Just a pedantic nitpick, perhaps, but I think it's important to be precise about these things."

Anyway, it's fun for us pedantic nitpickers to beat the plebians over the head with our leaden erudition!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 15 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #25

edstrick said:

"Anyway, it's fun for us pedantic nitpickers to beat the plebians over the head with our leaden erudition!"

Yes, and it makes the beatees feel superior too, though in a slightly different way...

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
lyford
post Dec 15 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 124

Eschew Obfuscation!

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 15 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #27

Done!
Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 15 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #28

I've just noticed that I made a mistake in my Phobos postings. To clarify, the SRC image is from MEX orbit 1163, but the HRSC-nd2 image is from orbit 1212. If I recall, the SRC missed Phobos on the later orbit.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:07 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.